5th Film

Have you seen the movies, either in the cinema theatre, or on video or DVD, or thinking of seeing them? Share your views here.

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Snow_Crystal

Postby Miss Ginny » Thursday 6 April 2006 2:13:09am

Miss Ginny wrote:Hello, I'm new, and this is my first post, but I wanted to say that I read online that the release date for the OotP movie is July 13, 2007. I didn't get the impression, from the article, that the movie would be anything more than just one movie which seems challenging to fathom given how mammoth book 5 was. Oh well!

Um...I know I'm not supposed to double-post (basic forum etiquette) so would a mod be so kind as to add this weblink below to my prior post? I meant to give it before so others could read what I read about the movie.

http://www.hpana.com/news.19370.html

Thanks!
Miss Ginny
Muggle

Postby Snow_Crystal » Friday 7 April 2006 10:06:00am

Hi Miss Ginny!

Welcome to the board. I think you can be well forgiven for making a double-post seeing as it was your first two posts. They used to give us an edit feature but that seems to have disappeared now.

Anyway, I agree with you, one film does seem a bit tricky but if they did it in two I think by the time the second was released (unless it was at the same time) then the actors would have aged yet more.

If you remember though there was an awful lot of repetitive stuff in the first 150 pages though which was mostly background all over again. They'll be able to scrub a lot of that and I can't imagine they will cover all of the detentions with Umbridge maybe one/two. I suspect they might also scrub some of the Quidditch as well to focus on the main plot. Seeing as Cho disappears by the end of the book as well, they might have a bit on the romance between her and Harry but not a huge amount.
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby Miss Ginny » Tuesday 11 April 2006 3:46:58pm

Snow_Leopard wrote:Hi Miss Ginny!

Welcome to the board. I think you can be well forgiven for making a double-post seeing as it was your first two posts. They used to give us an edit feature but that seems to have disappeared now.

Anyway, I agree with you, one film does seem a bit tricky but if they did it in two I think by the time the second was released (unless it was at the same time) then the actors would have aged yet more.

If you remember though there was an awful lot of repetitive stuff in the first 150 pages though which was mostly background all over again. They'll be able to scrub a lot of that and I can't imagine they will cover all of the detentions with Umbridge maybe one/two. I suspect they might also scrub some of the Quidditch as well to focus on the main plot. Seeing as Cho disappears by the end of the book as well, they might have a bit on the romance between her and Harry but not a huge amount.

Thank you for welcoming me. :) You make many good points about why two movies wouldn't work. The already aging actors, not to mention the adult actors who likely would want to work on other movies, as well as book 5 covering a lot of backstory and things that could be condensed. Not to mention, losing momentum with the story dividing it in two and separating it over a few months.

I think Hagrid's Tale (the tale and the chapter) shouldn't be eliminated, but that could be pared down. I most want to see the DA meetings, Snape's Worst Memory, the Department of Mysteries battle, some of the OotP meetings and house (and Sirius), Dumbledore and Harry's discussion of the prophecy, the new Ginny Weasley, Ron and Hermione as prefects, and some of the classes (like with Umbridge) and Harry's interaction with his friends, both old and new. I bet I've left a load of things out I'd like to see as I haven't read book 5 lately, and yet, mentioned a ton of things! Unfortunately, because of the trimming in movie 4, I don't see how they can include Neville at St. Mungo's and some of the stuff on Kreacher and what not, so whoever the new director is has a challenge in front of him!

I, personally, won't be sad to see less of Cho...I felt she really grated in book 5, but it would be nice to see Marietta get her comeuppance. Book 5 as a movie is going to be interesting to behold for sure. On a semi-related note, I hope the actors who are "in negotiations" go ahead and sign-on!

What are you looking forward to in movie 5?
Miss Ginny
Muggle

Postby Hermione-Granger » Saturday 13 January 2007 9:41:04pm

I heard it will apear on July 2007
Hermione-Granger
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Previous

Return to The Movies