Profession of Lily and James

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

Profession of Lily and James

Postby harrylover » Saturday 14 February 2004 12:07:42pm

I just noticed that we dont know the professions of Lily and James!
Its never mentioned how they could leave harry so much money and they must have done something.

What do you think??
harrylover
Queen of Gossip and Member of Dumbledore´s Army

Postby Phinea Rogue » Saturday 14 February 2004 4:53:04pm

I've been wondering about this too, but I have no idea. Maybe James came from a wealthy family?
Phinea Rogue
Slytherin Prefect

Postby Jotomicron » Saturday 14 February 2004 5:17:02pm

I've seen somewhere that the money came from James's family, but this could be a false infromation, though! However, because he died so young, I'd say at least part of it was inherited from his parents.

As for what they did (and I think it is an impotant fact in the plot), I'd say something against Dark Arts...
Jotomicron
Producer of Happiness and Mysterious Metamorphmagus

Postby Athena Appleton » Saturday 14 February 2004 6:54:41pm

Yeah, I had heard, too, that James and Lily's money came from inheritence, but i don't know if that's just speculation...

by the way, welcome to broomsticksandowls, harrylover! 8-)
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Ferrus » Saturday 14 February 2004 7:16:52pm

I always thought that the money came partly from james´s family and the other part from lily and James work, witch I always thought was as Aurors for the MoM.
Ferrus
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Athena Appleton » Saturday 14 February 2004 7:47:15pm

The_Giant_Squid wrote:I always thought that the money came partly from james´s family and the other part from lily and James work,

yes, me too

witch I always thought was as Aurors for the MoM.

maybe... but for some unexplainable reason, i don't think so. is there something higher than auror? like, head auror. leader of aurors. they (along with the Longbottoms) didn't go after random dark wizards, they went after Voldy himself, several times, in fact. But, since the Longbottoms were regular aurors and they went after Voldy as many times as James and Lily, yes, I suppose it's quite possible that they were regular aurors.
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Centaur Lord » Sunday 15 February 2004 1:45:47am

I personally dont think that they were aurors of any kind. The fact that we dont know what kind of work they did is very significant. It makes me think that it might turn out to be very important in later books. I also think that whatever it was they were doing was against Voldemort. From some of the clues given in the books, i also think it might have been something secret, but im not sure yet. Then again, i could be making something out of absolutely nothing again... :grin:
Centaur Lord
Seventh Year

Postby Athena Appleton » Sunday 15 February 2004 5:05:13am

then again, you must remember that we don't know what color underwear Hermione likes to wear, so it's probably going to play into the story in one of the later books... :lol: I'm just kidding... Don't know about you guys, but I catch myself trying to draw conclusions and read a lot into stuff, and it gets ridiculous after a while.

For the record, I'm not makin fun, I think you're right on, Centaur Lord. :grin:

From some of the clues given in the books, i also think it might have been something secret, but im not sure yet.

Maybe they worked in the Department of Mysteries. We know nothing about what James and Lily do, and we know that no one knows what the Untouchables do...........
Athena Appleton

Postby master_o_magic » Sunday 15 February 2004 6:28:33am

good point....there hasn't been any clue in any of the books as to how harry came to have a small fortune left to him by his parents in the vault at gringotts.

about 2/3rds of it i believe were from james' parents, and perhaps afer lily's parents died it was split between her and pertuna, lily might have had it exchanged for wizard money.

who knows what lily and james' prefession was, but i think it may play a part in the next 2 books??

~Master_o_Magic~
master_o_magic
Third Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Athena Appleton » Sunday 15 February 2004 6:56:25am

Does anyone know (to avoid me having to go look it up myself) if Hagrid really says something to the effect of "Well, you didn't think your parents would have left you with nothing, now, did ya?" to Harry in the books, or is that just a line in the movie?

If it's in the book, it sounds to me like at least a large amount of their money would have been thier own savings...
Athena Appleton

Postby master_o_magic » Sunday 15 February 2004 9:13:10am

Yeh its in the movies, but i dont think its in the books

~Master~
master_o_magic

Postby Violet » Sunday 15 February 2004 12:17:42pm

i checked the books today and i couldn't find it in there.
master_o_magic wrote:about 2/3rds of it i believe were from james' parents, and perhaps afer lily's parents died it was split between her and pertuna, lily might have had it exchanged for wizard money.

where did u get it from that 2/3rds of it was from james' parents?
Violet
Serpentine Princess

Postby Ferrus » Sunday 15 February 2004 1:14:06pm

Yeh its in the movies, but i dont think its in the books

In fact it is, the exact quote is:

Don´t worry about that,` said Hagrid, standing up and scratching his head. `D´yeh think yer parents didn´t leave yeh anything?´
Ferrus
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Athena Appleton » Sunday 15 February 2004 7:39:08pm

Thanks, Giant Squid... okay, the way I'd interpret that, and this is just me, is that that line implies that James and Lily got a good percentage of their fortune from working and saving themselves... There just seems to be a sort of undertone there that says that they saved it and it wouldn't have been hard for them to save it if it was a big inheritance... that's how I read it, but there's nothing to back it up except what I perceive as an undertone, and knowing that if someone were to tell my kids after I die "You didn't think they'd leave you with nothing, did you" that it would be because my husband and I worked and saved and thought ahead... *shrug*

if this posts twice, sorry, blame my computer... :-)
Athena Appleton

Postby master_o_magic » Sunday 15 February 2004 10:13:11pm

yeah. they owuld have had to have worked....idk maybe i need to study my facts harder....its too early in the morning

~Master_o_Magic~
master_o_magic

Next

Return to The Books