What Do YOU Write?

Try your skills at writing. A place for any non-Harry Potter fan fiction or writing of your own. Write your own original fan fics or even a completely original story here.

Moderators: DucksRMagical, Un'Anima Persa

Re: What Do YOU Write?

Postby salemboy » Tuesday 3 February 2009 11:28:15am

I write fiction, and fiction only, unless it's for an assignment.

Let's see, I wrote a novel about a Super-Hero named Blue Falcon, and that series has taken most of my attention when it comes to writing. I tried to write a prequel, Red Falcon, for NanoWrimo, didn't finish, but I will. I intend to write at least 6 more stories about the character in my original novel. I'm not trying to copy off of J.K., but I intend to have a trilogy about that Blue Falcon, I'm doing two prequels (Red Falcon and White Eagle), and I also intend to write a story about a person who isn't a superhero, but when America is attacked by Communist Russia, he has to lead the fight for survival in his city, because Blue Falcon has gone missing. Not only that, but the main character harbors a prejudice against people like Blue Falcon.

That's my plan for the Blue Falcon series... but I sometimes do a bit of fantasy in my spare time.

And I don't have a journal/blog. Not enough of an attention span.
salemboy
Supreme Commander of Wizarding Monkeys

Postby FawkesthePhoenix » Wednesday 4 February 2009 12:13:07am

Today in English, we had to fill out this "road map" about a passage given to us about Greek Mythology... I didn't even read the packet, just filled out the questions and gave the subsitute teacher quite a shock when I finished barely 2 minutes after she gave us the assignment.... Then I started a "Hero Project", where we had to create a hero and write a "short" passage about them... MIne is more than two pages, and I had to shorten it, lol. I got to write about Greek Mythology, which rocked. :grin:
FawkesthePhoenix
President of the Penguins

Location: No idea, all I know is that there are a LOT of felt-tipped pens...

Postby salemboy » Thursday 12 February 2009 2:57:03pm

Oh, my 7th grade Language Arts teacher hated handing out short story assignments, because when she said short story, she meant 2 or 3 pages, but when I heard short story, I still think to this day 8 to 20 pages. It's safe to say that she's glad she didn't assign a short story close to the end of the year, as I was about half way done with my Blue Falcon novel, and I intended to submit that.

Then, in 8th grade, my L.A. teacher didn't do any short stories except one, and it was about any time we had experienced racism/sexism/(if we'd never experienced either one)Favoritism. I wrote about the third one. It was early in the year, and we had to read them out loud during class. I was on page two when she finally said, "You've said how terrible this teacher was, but you have yet to provide any examples." When I told them how many pages I had left, the entire class (including her) yelled a "WHAT?!"

She never assigned a short story again. :lol: But I still got my long writings in: One time, we had to debate with another class member about our assigned subject... I was reading an excerpt from some research papers, and as I was reading, my teacher asked, "You know you're only supposed to read a section of it, correct?"

I said, "Yes, I'm only reading the text highlighted in yellow." When I showed them the yellow, she made me end my presentation, I didn't even get to finish without the text (it was only a resource so that people knew what I was saying wasn't a load of baloney). :lol: .

And just recently, for the school newspaper, I wrote a Christmas Short Story, and it was 14 pages... My teacher for the class almost cut it, until we found a way to link it out (I would show it to you guys, except I'm not allowed to) so that it didn't take up too much space (It's 100% digital) (it ended up getting cut anyway for being too violent).

So, yeah, that sub would have had her jaw drop if she saw some of the stuff I did. She made you shorten 2 pages? Yeah, she would not have liked me a single bit, with my long short stories, and debates, and all that stuff.

And writing about Greek Mythology is fun, speaking of which, when I just rewatched the Disney version of Hercules, I realized how incorrect it was.
salemboy

Postby FawkesthePhoenix » Thursday 12 February 2009 9:53:02pm

OMG Hercules..... So many memories.... We watched it last year and my friend and I spent the whole time complaining about everything wrong with it, lol.... Shall I give some examples? *is hopeful*

Speaking of school, I had vocal testing activity period today. And afterwards the teacher asked me if I wanted to join Honours Choir. o.O I said maybe, because after all, how would I ever have the courage to sing in such a small group when I still hold the firm believe that I'm terrible at singing?
FawkesthePhoenix

Postby Ms. Elsewhere » Friday 13 February 2009 12:48:48pm

heya Fawkes, I reckon if someone asks you to sing in Honours Choir.. you're good! :)

Salemboy, I hope you get into some really good Literature, creative writing and the like classes so you can express yourself the way you should! Although, as a teacher we like to see what people can do when given a deadline; any story can be written in brief and "padded" up later. I find when I write, the end comes to me as I write... but isn't it correct that you should know how your story will end before you finish it?

I'm hoping to join this program at our local primary school called "Support a Reader" to help kids practice their reading. I just love the whole concept of reading and writing and it saddens me that anyone would find writing and reading difficult.

I remember writing journals every day in English 12. Hmmm... I really should start up a blog.... I'm feeling a bit refective.. I'm tumbling so hard into my past school experiences I can actually FEEL how I felt when I was 11, 12, 13, 14,......... I'm going to go to poems and write a poem about it! lol
Ms. Elsewhere
Scholar of all that is Deep and Meaningful

Postby salemboy » Monday 16 February 2009 1:15:42am

Fawkes, you should join Honours Choir. I'm tone-deaf, nobody would ever ask me to join Choir. Heck, I'm gonna take band for my fine arts credit because you don't need to be able to sing. If you got accepted in Honours Choir, take it! Advanced classes always make it look better when you apply for colleges.

Our course selection is rather limited, but I'm taking Journalism, and I intend to take it next year, so I'll be able to say that I have publishing experience. Also, for an assignment, we have to get published in something other than our school newspaper, so I'm covering a basketball game for the American Stars and Stripes. I'm not writing anything, but I'm supplying everything, like the points, the highlights, the best players, and all that stuff. If there were a novel-writing class, I'd be first in line to take it.

And Distortia, I'm almost right alongside you. I almost always make everything up as I go. I only have a few points in my novels I want to happen, and that's it. So, no, you don't have to know the ending. I almost never do. As for that "Support a Reader" program, it sounds great. You should be proud of helping those kids read.

And sorry, Fawkes, I already know almost everything that is incorrect about Hercules. I studied it in Honors, and even though we spend maybe two weeks on each subject, we can go extremely in depth.
salemboy

Postby FawkesthePhoenix » Monday 16 February 2009 4:43:33pm

Dang, that means I don't get to complain! Ah well, thanks for all the support, I think I'm gonna do it.
FawkesthePhoenix

Postby DucksRMagical » Monday 16 February 2009 7:45:45pm

Go for it, Fawkes! :grin: If you like it, you might be able to get into the advanced choir in high school. That one requires try-outs, but it'll look good on college applications. (I know it's really early to think about that, though. :lol: )

I rarely plan my novels. My first Albus story was completely unplanned. My NaNo was mostly unplanned. I prefer to just sit down at the computer and write without really knowing what's going to happen. I've been planning for my third Albus story and it's giving me writer's block. :-?
DucksRMagical
Ambassador to the Land of Ducks.

Postby FawkesthePhoenix » Tuesday 17 February 2009 8:42:34pm

I like doing as little planning as possible because if you don't know what's going to happen until it does, odds are the reader won't, either.

Wow, college applications, a very long ways away..... Luckily.
FawkesthePhoenix

Postby salemboy » Friday 20 February 2009 11:36:02am

Well, I can tell you guys something: I am NEVER covering a basketball game again. I was scared out of my FREAKING mind! I was so happy when it finally finished, and I could breathe a sigh of relief. I have real respect for those who report sports games.
salemboy

Postby Ms. Elsewhere » Thursday 14 May 2009 4:03:58am

I'm glad i didn't pursue a career in Journalism. I don't have the nerve. I feel like sometimes you ahve to be a bit sneaky, a bit pushy, and dishonest.... kind of like Rita Skeeter! lol.... the constant pursuit of the truth isn't necesarily what people want to hear. So in journalism, you should still tell it, but you have to make it musical, as in, pleasing to the ear.

I just wanted to say, I LOVE it when people give an idea to run with. Give me subject, anything at all. One word even! I love to run with it. In English in High School, we always started the class with some writing. The teacher used to give us a single word, and we had to write about it. I think we were given 5 minutes, and I would write pages of text, or poems, fictional and non fiction stories... I LOVE to be inspired.

:)
Ms. Elsewhere
Scholar of all that is Deep and Meaningful

Previous

Return to Other Fan Fiction and Writing