NanoWrimo

Meet everyone here in The Great Hall for general discussions. Here you'll find a friendly place to talk about all things under the magnificent magical ceiling...even stuff not connected with Harry Potter!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, DucksRMagical, Broccoli, Run Away!!!, Phoenix in the Ashes

NanoWrimo

Postby salemboy » Friday 27 June 2008 6:50:17am

This is a thread where we can discuss NanoWrimo amongst ourselves.

For those who don't know, NanoWrimo is a yearly contest during the month of November where participants from all over the world try to write a 50,000 word novel in one month. If you are interested in joining, you can sign up for free at http://www.nanowrimo.org.
salemboy
Supreme Commander of Wizarding Monkeys

Re: NanoWrimo

Postby FawkesthePhoenix » Friday 27 June 2008 4:07:46pm

ooooh, it has it's own special thread..........
i guess ill share what im going to write about:

The Firelle and the Icelle have been feuding since the dawn of time. Both of them are just as good as the other, neither are evil. Linaeve, or Linnie for short, is an ordinary 14 year old girl who gets sucked into their battle. She is soon joined by Lina, the quirky yet graceful 15-year-old, and Jordan, a trained fighter who got lost from his squad. (note: I'm aware that Lineave's and Lina's names both start with L and sound very much the same. This will be of importance later on.)
FawkesthePhoenix
President of the Penguins

Location: No idea, all I know is that there are a LOT of felt-tipped pens...

Postby salemboy » Saturday 28 June 2008 8:01:04am

I've decided that I will write "Red Falcon", which is a prequel to a story I've already written.

In a small town in Europe, things are quiet. It has been 20 years since the end of WWII. People there live happy, normal lives, with everybody knowing everybody. About ten years after the end of WWII, a woman had moved in with her 11 year old son. She was a kind woman who had been widowed during the war. As time wore on, the mother fell ill with (I never paid attention in Health class. Can someone tell me a good fatal disease?).

And that is where I'll start my story. I think that you'll have a hard time guessing what this story is about. Still, this is the setup for the book I'm going to write. The time period might change over time, but I think this is what I'll want.
salemboy

Postby salemboy » Friday 29 August 2008 9:56:09am

I'm just reminding all those who signed up for NanoWrimo. The contest will begin in only two months!!! So start preparing, because it will be a long, hard month.
salemboy

Postby FawkesthePhoenix » Friday 29 August 2008 3:29:43pm

i'll say. man, how am i going to find time to write my novel while juggling homework, dance, and play practice? oh well, i'll still try.
FawkesthePhoenix

Postby DucksRMagical » Sunday 19 October 2008 1:01:45am

*pulls thread up* Well, the big moment is only less than 2 weeks away! Who's going to attempt it? I know Fawkes is. Salemboy, are you still participating?

I'm registered, but still undecided. November is probably the busiest month of the semester, so I'm not sure if I'll have time or not. As far as plot goes, I'll probably write a fan fiction. :lol:

Here's my username and ID.
DuckyLupin
DucksRMagical
Ambassador to the Land of Ducks.

Postby GodrictheGriffon » Sunday 19 October 2008 5:37:15pm

Well. I certainly don't have time. I would love to, but I can't.
Riley, the woman is officially dying of meningitis. That is the inflamation of the lining or the fluids of the lining of the brain. The preventive vaccine wasn't invented until a quite few years after your story takes place.
GodrictheGriffon
Unspeakable and Princess of Polar Bears

Location: Beside the veil, waiting for Sirius.... And Midnight! I wonder how long your location can be?....

Postby FawkesthePhoenix » Sunday 19 October 2008 8:27:03pm

my user is:
Rain_is_liquid_Moonlight and i have no idea what my ID is. (note: i'm in the young writer's program, not the regular)
FawkesthePhoenix

Postby DucksRMagical » Monday 20 October 2008 1:02:41am

Your ID is the numbers at the end of the URL when you're on your profile page.

I've got a plot! And it's not fan fic! :lol:

"Girl 1 (still in need of a name) lives with her mother. Father left them when girl was little. Mother is an animal lover, a big animal lover. She has devoted her life to rescuing dogs. She runs an animal rescue out of her house and at any given time has between 5 and 8 foster dogs. She travels the country to save dogs from shelters, puppymills, crappy situations, etc.

Girl likes animals well enough, but kind of resents her mother for spending so much time/money on the dogs. Girl has everything she needs, but her mother doesn't have the money to spend on expensive clothing/iPods/etc. because she spends so much on the dogs. Girl wishes her mom would pay more attention to her and less to the dogs.

Usually, when her mom goes off to rescue dogs, the girl stays behind with her grandmother. But when her grandmother is off on a senior singles cruise and a devastating hurricane hits South Carolina and mom is contacted to rescue dogs down there, girl is dragged along.

She is very angry about this and wishes more than ever that her mom was 'normal'. But when down there, she begins to see just why her mother chooses to devote her life to the animals. Then, a special mutt attaches himself to the girl. They develop a special bond and with the dog's help, the girl is able to work through her issues with her mom."

I am debating putting some romance in. I'm thinking I might have my main character meet a guy in South Carolina (or wherever I decide to have the hurricane hit) who is either also being dragged along with his parents on various rescue missions, lives where the hurricane hit, or is participating in the rescuing of animals. But that's still very tentative.

Now I'm kind of thinking that she'll meet the guy, but she'll have feelings for him and he won't like her back. So then she recovers from that with the help of her new dog and begins to realize why her mom puts so much of her life into helping the dogs. Because it helps her cope with the fact that her husband left her.

The dog she rescues/adopts will be a pittie mix, but doesn't have a name so far. The mom's name is tentatively Bonnie, girl is tentatively Tasha, guy's name is tentatively Scott.
DucksRMagical

Postby salemboy » Wednesday 29 October 2008 9:20:04am

Of course I'm doing NanoWrimo.

Wow, you really thought it out. Hmmm, as for me, I'm doing a prequel to a book I already wrote.

It begins about 20 years after the end of WWII. In a small town in Europe resides a widow and her twenty-one year old son. The young man is well-known throughout the town as being a Bird of Prey, a descendant from a race of birds that had to mix with apes for the species to survive. The man's name was Red Falcon, by his mother, in honor of Bird of Prey tradition.

The story really kicks off when Nazis who learn of Red Falcon's existence from a merchant decide to try and capture him to kick off their second rise. From there on out, I know the key plot points, but I do not wish to discuss them.

So, I'm going to go edit my NanoWrimo account to get it all finished up.

And my username is Salemboy94.
salemboy

Postby salemboy » Friday 31 October 2008 8:49:37am

Ok, I know this is double posting, but I just can't suppress my excitement. NanoWrimo is only seven hours away (for me anyway). Oooh, the anticipation's killing me. If any of you read this before the beginning, stay up until midnight on Halloween, and begin writing then. Don't wait 'til morning. You'll have to write approximately 1,700 words a day, every day. Ah man, I can't wait.

I hope riley remembers. Anyway, my ID is 224231. I hope I can see some of your guys' excerpts, and hopefully, I'll be able to find Riley's and Fawkes's profiles. Ooooh, this is like a holiday for me, almost like New Year's Eve, except its New NanoWrimo Year's Eve. Grrr, stupid clock. Hopefully, passing out candy for Halloween will speed up time for me.

Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait. Oooooh, I can't wait.

P.S. I hope that that last part doesn't count as spam.
salemboy

Postby DucksRMagical » Friday 31 October 2008 3:32:42pm

13 and a half hours left for me and Fawkes!!!! :grin: I'm so excited!

Salemboy, I'm going to add you as a writing buddy as soon as the NaNo site loads faster. It's been really slow lately and my school's internet is incredibly slow, too, which doesn't help. :x

I don't think we'll be able to see Riley and Fawkes's profiles, since they're doing the young writer's program. I've already tried to view Fawkes's profile and it didn't work. :(
DucksRMagical

Postby GodrictheGriffon » Friday 31 October 2008 8:38:27pm

I just signed up becasue I am bored. My user name is I_am_made_of_plasma and my user id is 441090.
I have no plot.
GodrictheGriffon

Location: Beside the veil, waiting for Sirius.... And Midnight! I wonder how long your location can be?....

Postby DucksRMagical » Friday 31 October 2008 11:41:49pm

That's an excellent reason to join! :lol: I love your username, it reminds me of 11th grade chemistry. :lol:

Hmm, plot... You could always write fan fic. Write something about Snape, I think you'd be good at that.
DucksRMagical

Postby GodrictheGriffon » Saturday 1 November 2008 2:59:37am

I got a plot! It's a story of all the people who have lived in the same apartment over a few years period of time and all of the things they've done. The appliances all hear and gossip about them during the night. One man walks in on them once and tries to warn the next tennant about them but the new man won't listen and we'll see where it goes from there. :grin:
GodrictheGriffon

Next

Return to The Great Hall