So.... What did everyone make of it?

A place to discuss the eminent collection of Wizarding children's fairy tales including Professor Albus Dumbledore's very own personal notes.

Moderators: DucksRMagical, FawkesthePhoenix, *Riley*

So.... What did everyone make of it?

Postby FawkesthePhoenix » Saturday 6 December 2008 4:05:23am

There is a footnote in Dumbledore's commentary on The Three Brothers that says no witch ever claimed to have the Elder Wand. Why do you think this is?
FawkesthePhoenix
President of the Penguins

Location: No idea, all I know is that there are a LOT of felt-tipped pens...

Re: So.... What did everyone make of it?

Postby DucksRMagical » Saturday 6 December 2008 5:38:38am

Well, I like to take it to mean that witches have owned the Elder Wand, but they just chose not to advertise it to the world. It is clearly a bad idea to tell others that you have an unbeatable wand, and witches who have owned it may have realized that and chosen to keep quiet about it.

Because, you know, men tend to like to gloat about their power whereas women do not always feel the need to do that. ;) No offense to any men, and I'm not saying all men are like that, but history has shown that men like to flaunt their power. ;)
DucksRMagical
Ambassador to the Land of Ducks.

Postby salemboy » Saturday 6 December 2008 12:18:44pm

That is true. Also, though, it is shown throughout history as women being treated as inferior. That could lead to be another reason. If HP were real, it would be quite possible that the wizarding world mimicked the treatment of Women from their muggle counterparts, as the there was no Statute of Secrecy at that time, thus influence on the other heightened. I'm not saying that I view women as inferior, in fact, sometimes I wonder how man could view them as inferior for such a large amount of time. I'm merely saying that back then, women were often treated as inferior, and that could have led to where if the wife were to gain the Elder Wand, her husband would take it from her.
salemboy
Supreme Commander of Wizarding Monkeys

Postby FawkesthePhoenix » Saturday 6 December 2008 6:42:54pm

That is a very good point Salem. I think though, that if any witch got the Elder Wand, drawing off of what Duckie said, they'd have enough sense not to tell anyone, and if their husband was the type of person who would take it for himself, than to definitely not tell them.
FawkesthePhoenix
President of the Penguins

Location: No idea, all I know is that there are a LOT of felt-tipped pens...

Postby Albus Severus Potter » Saturday 14 February 2009 1:13:14am

I also agree with Salem, but it could just mean that no witch has every had the wand in the first place, no offense to any women.
Albus Severus Potter
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby FortisUmbra » Saturday 21 November 2009 4:26:53pm

it is very likely that a women has never had the wand. women being inferior is very common in European culture and we must assume that this is true for the magical world as well. A women would never have successfully taken the wand from a man and lived. However if a women had taken the wand then she would have no use of boasting about it. a women would not have the power that many dark wizards had. not because they are weak but because no one would follow them. if they had said anything about it they would have been ignored and lost in history.
FortisUmbra
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby GryffindorAnimagus » Monday 7 June 2010 12:52:18am

I knkow that this is kind of a late post for this but I think that the reason Dumbledore says that no witch ever claimed to have the Elder Wand is because either no witch ever had the wand to start with or that the witch that did win the wand did not brag about it. The witch might have know that doing so would cause her to be the target and choose not to. I am leaning more toward no witch ever won the want to begin with.
GryffindorAnimagus
Second Year

Return to The Tales of Beedle the Bard