Broomsticks And Owls

Harry Potter Forum

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Friday 16 January 2009 12:24:59am 
Fourth Year

FawkesthePhoenix wrote:
If I remember correctly, Voldemort was not transplanted into Quirrel's head until after he failed to take the stone from Gringotts. The proffesor only crumbled at the end because Voldemort "felt the love" just a bit to much. Harry shook hands with Quirrel before he went to Gringotts, therefore Voldemort was not yet sharing his body.

Ohh thanks! I remember reading that Quirrel met Voldemort during the summer before Harry went to Hogwarts, but I didn't remember when they mention when Voldemort was transplanted into Quirrel's head.

PostPosted: Friday 16 January 2009 10:11:43pm 
President of the Penguins

Location: No idea, all I know is that there are a LOT of felt-tipped pens...
Hmm.... Let me see if I can find an excerpt..... Ah, here we are...

"He is with me wherever I go," said Quirrel quietly. "I met him when I traveled around the world. A foolish young man I was then, full of ridiculous ideas about goodanf evil. Lord Voldemort showed me how wrong I was. There is no good and evil, only power, and those too weak to seek it.... Since then, I have served him faithfully, although I have let him down many times. He has to be very hard on me." Quirrel shiverd suddenly. "He does not forgive mistakes easily. When I failed to steal the stone from Gringotts, he was most displeased. He punished me... decided he would have to keep a closer watch on me...."

As we can infer, this "closer watch" involved planting himself into Quirrel's head, hence the introduction of Quirrel's intolerance towards love.

PostPosted: Saturday 17 January 2009 12:09:18am 
Fourth Year

Thanks, FawkesthePhoenix, for clearing the confusion up! :D

PostPosted: Saturday 17 January 2009 2:15:57pm 
Scholar of all that is Deep and Meaningful

To avoid this exact issue, in the movie Quirrel never shakes Harry's hand. Harry reaches out to take his hand and Quirrel just holds his hands up near his face and says "Fasinating subject, not that you nee need.. eh P pp Potter?" But lemme check the book....Yes hmmm... It doesnt' say one way or the other if Quirrel was wearing gloves or not. I think later in the book there may be some mention of when he became doubled up, so to speak. We should continue with the chapters to discover more!

xx

ps. They were seriously faithful to the dialogue from the book for Movie One. It was amazing! hard to work with a character there when every line has to be by the book!