Silvery Whispers

Try your skills at writing. A place for any non-Harry Potter fan fiction or writing of your own. Write your own original fan fics or even a completely original story here.

Moderators: DucksRMagical, Un'Anima Persa

Silvery Whispers

Postby *Riley* » Thursday 4 December 2008 10:06:37am

The moon peeked her head through a break in the thick ominous clouds to shine her silver light over the forested land below. For miles, the land lay in gently rolling hills covered in a mottled mixture of hardwoods and pines, glittering like so much tinsel and confetti in the night. Little hamlets and towns carved flat, shadowy circles in the virgin timber, causing it to look like a dog with a mild case of mange. Ribbons of dusty road sprang up and disappeared in the underbrush, connecting each village with the next, with the distant cities, and, ultimately, with a dark and shrouded land town known as Knorlan.
Clouds as thick as thunderheads forever clung to the upper level of the Region, blocking out the light of the moon and the sun, but seldom dropping rain or filling the air with a humidity that brought forth the earthy fragrances of rotting vegetation. The forest beneath was overgrown with sickly flora, striving to grow ever taller and larger in order to grasp and hold the one sliver of light that might escape the stranglehold in the heavens. Though large and forbidding, the trees were slowly suffocating, casting their branches and leaves onto an already well-padded forest floor while all around the Region, as if to keep the inhabitants in and the travellers out, grew an impenetrable wall of long thorny brush.
In the outer ring of the Noble's land, near the edge, a young girl lay prostrate on her stomach while the wind blew softly through her long ashen hair and tickled her paper white cheek with a few loose strands. With her head resting on the backs of her palms, she looked out over the cliff at the dark world below and the occasional lamp that winked up at her through the trees. All the residents had returned home for the night and were either cleaning up the last of the supper dishes or were relaxing for the evening and indulging in restful hobbies.

A lantern hung limply from a stick pushed into the grassy earth, sending odd shafts of light dancing on Cassandra’s clothing. It was a restful night, where one could be found reading a book by the soft glow of a lamp, just as Cassie was doing.
Cassie raised her head, tearing her eyes hungry eyes away from the compelling words; something from inside her tattered grey bag was scuffling around. The bag was still closed, but a coarse hole was ripped in the side. Cassie carefully knelt next to the bag, unzipped it and toppled over backward. Regaining balance, she carefully stood over the bag, terrified of the creature that lay whimpering in the shadow of her book.

Hope you liked it, this was the start of my NaNoWriMo attempt :rolleyes:
*Riley*
Keeper of the Keys and Dragon Tamer Of The West

Re: Silvery Whispers

Postby salemboy » Friday 5 December 2008 10:52:18am

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Either A) you were born to write, or B) that took you about three hours to write.

If it's A) (which I sincerely hope it is), then I demand a free copy of the book you're going to publish when you get old enough. End of story.
salemboy
Supreme Commander of Wizarding Monkeys

Postby *Riley* » Friday 5 December 2008 12:29:06pm

Heehee :oops:
Thanks Salemboy! :) It actually took me around 10 minutes to write, I am so glad you liked it. I guess it must be )A then :grin:
Thanks again!
*Riley*
Keeper of the Keys and Dragon Tamer Of The West

Postby FawkesthePhoenix » Saturday 6 December 2008 4:21:11am

Wow, Riley, you have a gift. That story makes my NaNo look like garbage. Your descriptions make it seem like you're really there-- No, they're even better than that, I can't even describe it. It's the kind of thing someone reads over and over again and still doesn't find all the connections and meaning. It's wonderful, and I really hope you get it published someday. Just remember us when you're all rich and famous, eh?
FawkesthePhoenix
President of the Penguins

Location: No idea, all I know is that there are a LOT of felt-tipped pens...

Postby DucksRMagical » Sunday 7 December 2008 12:32:41am

That is amazing, Riley. :grin: Your descriptions are so detailed that it makes me feel like I'm really there in the story. Brilliant imagery. I can't wait to read the whole thing when you get it published!

*smacks Fawkes* Your NaNo is not garbage! It's brilliant!
DucksRMagical
Ambassador to the Land of Ducks.

Postby FawkesthePhoenix » Monday 8 December 2008 12:39:36am

*rubs face* ow.
*pokes Duckie in revenge* Pfft, your NaNo's better than mine, you can't deny it.
FawkesthePhoenix

Postby DucksRMagical » Monday 8 December 2008 6:52:56pm

*sigh* Your NaNo is much better than mine. Let's just agree that we all think everyone else's NaNo is better. :lol:
DucksRMagical
Ambassador to the Land of Ducks.

Postby FawkesthePhoenix » Monday 8 December 2008 9:36:32pm

Agreed. And when we're all published authors, we'll know for sure, lol. :lol:
FawkesthePhoenix

Return to Other Fan Fiction and Writing