HBP OMG! *spoilers*

Have you seen the movies, either in the cinema theatre, or on video or DVD, or thinking of seeing them? Share your views here.

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Snow_Crystal

HBP OMG! *spoilers*

Postby FawkesthePhoenix » Wednesday 15 July 2009 11:05:01pm

First thread since the release! Woot! So, Godric, Duckie, youknowwho and I all went to the midnight release! Twas tres tres awesome! Despise the lack of battle at the end, though. Now... reactions!
FawkesthePhoenix
President of the Penguins

Location: No idea, all I know is that there are a LOT of felt-tipped pens...

Re: HBP OMG! *spoilers*

Postby teyannanecole » Thursday 16 July 2009 7:12:45am

Just got back fromthe movie.... it was great! the ending was a bit abrupt even though I knew it was coming. I liked the Dumbledore tribute, but I thought his actual death scene was a bit too dramatic. Rupert and Helena really stood out to me as doing great jobs. The woman who played Narcissa played her to the T! Everything written about Narcissa was embodied in her performance so well done to her. I think they made the Harry-Ginny-Dean love triangle much more interesting than it was is the book though. She cheats on him with Harry! Olivander's kidnapping was brilliant too. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but this is a must see. Right now I can't think of anything that I didn't like. Everything fit, even the changes is character parts (Luna finding Harry on the train instead of Tonks...)

Overall I did not like the ending. It was like a skeletal version of the book's ending and seemed rushed. I fell like I haven't seen the movie! Probably because the wait was so long and the anticipation was so high. Can't wait to see it again!
teyannanecole
Third Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Snow_Crystal » Thursday 16 July 2009 11:06:35am

I find myself a little underwhelmed by the latest film.

I'm pleased I saw it don't get me wrong. but where was the explanation about LV's mother, his background about why he ended up an orphan and why he disliked muggle-borns, and the locket explanation. The encounters with Ginny were also too brief and I was expecting more Quidditch. Was good to see Draco in a bit of action for once. The inferi were good but yes the end was missing a big finale - it was just short. I'm undecided as to whether they should have lingered on the death of Sirius, but there was no mention really apart from the news articles at the beginning and Harry didn't seem to grieve all that much though in some ways I didn't want it to be harped on about.

BTW, the actress who played Narcissa (Helen McGrory) was originally intended to play Bellatrix but became pregnant and therefore couldn't play the role. I'm pleased she portrayed Narcissa well though.

Finally I'm not sure about some of the extra scenes - I don't think they added anything for me.

Took a little long to warm up for me.
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby Ms. Elsewhere » Thursday 16 July 2009 4:13:16pm

Where do I begin!

The beginning broke my heart with all the press snapping photos of Harry - the dizzying realisation that LV was back ,but also that Sirius was dead. I have to say I love the 'sexed' up approach this time. Sweet how Harry gets flirted with now.. lol!

Ok so let's see... I really think the whole thing was very skeletal, but it got some important messages across. So hard to do all that in one movie! Dumbledores hand, Snapes part in it all, Malfoy's real reason for having to kill Dumbledore... all just hints. Loved Malfoys part in it! Yay! about time he got serious. Loved the kick on the train! Ouch!

The train trip was beautiful, the terrain was almost not in this dimension, if you know what i mean? A little theory I have is that the pillar you get into Hogwarts Express station is a temorary port key? Because there actually IS a train..... but it can't possibly actually be at Kings Cross STation...

Um um... okay okay.. I could go on forever...

So I'll finish with this. I'm angry about the ending. Too abrupt. No real battle. Dumbledore had Harry bound in a spell that only released him after he was dead. That part in the book paralized me! But they did not give us that in the movie! The tribute was sweet, but it needed to be epic! I wanted to see the funeral and the tomb! I pictured it in my mind, I felt ripped off! And how Harry decided then he would not return to Hogwarts was sooooooooo much cooler than the looking off into the distance at how beautiful Hogwarts was and how he'll miss it.. but be careful not to snog Ginny in front of Ron??? Gaaaaaaaaaaawd.... I guess they had to sell it to the audiences...

Secretly, I wonder if they were trying to sell the whole love story thing like their new rival Twilight series are doing. lol! ooooooo......

Overal, brilliant work! Attention to detail. Lavender Brown and Luna Lovegood were brilliant. ..... But Emma Watson.. well I guess that's Hermione Granger? The bit where she was upset about Ron was soo..... could have been done better. She should have got hysterical or something.

SO glad it's out though! Yay!

So, did you and Ginny do it? LOL

Cracks me up.

OH and the liquid luck! hee hee... I have a really good feeling about Hagrids Hut!
Ms. Elsewhere
Scholar of all that is Deep and Meaningful

Postby DucksRMagical » Thursday 16 July 2009 9:05:26pm

I hated the first part. Absolutely hated it. The waitress scene felt to me like a film version of a really bad piece of fan fiction. Completely out of character for Harry. He just saw Sirius die, I doubt he would be flirting with random waitresses who look like they're 8 years older than him. The newspaper clips made me worry that they were going to do that for the whole movie like they did with OotP!!! Was very glad they didn't.

However, I loved the bridge collapsing part and the attack on Diagon Alley!!! Brilliant camera work on that one and the Muggles in the office building were perfect.

I cannot get over the humor in this one! I have never laughed so hard at a Harry Potter movie before. Loved all that humor! Slughorn was brilliant, as was Lavender Brown. I especially loved Slughorn's line, 'I remember when it was one broomstick!' Best line ever.

I do have a few issues, though. Snape's role. There were no Defense classes nor did anyone seem shocked or worried that he got that position. Nor did he give Harry detention when he used Sectumsempra. The attack on the burrow, while I loved it from a movie standpoint, just did not make sense. I hated the way they just seemed to throw in a few bad lines to show that Remus and Tonks were going out, without going into depth about how their relationship was hard. However, I think they finally got Remus to look sort of like how I imagined him.

There needed to be more about the memories, needed to have Dumbledore's funeral, and why was the Elder Wand laying on Dumbledore's desk?! Other than that I loved that ending scene in his office.

One thing they should have done better were character introductions. It would have been really easy to miss who Greyback was as he was introduced with that poster in Knockturn Alley. Anyone who hasn't read the books wouldn't have made that connection. Nor was Lavender really introduced besides 'lav-lav'.

Overall, I did like it. They completely changed it, but I think they did a better job of it than they did for OotP. I can't wait to see it in IMAX in August!!!
DucksRMagical
Ambassador to the Land of Ducks.

Postby Snow_Crystal » Thursday 16 July 2009 9:22:45pm

I just feel a bit cheated that after reading the book for HBP, we were all hungry for answers and theorised. And even during the book there was more about who the Half Blood Prince was and their ideas about him etc.

If you hadn't read the book, you would never know that there were theories to be made. I mean horcruxes were explained but there was no mystery created about what the other ones might be. i don't think it really set up the final film very well and I agree it did not explain who Fenrir Greyback actually was and his significance - you would never have known he was a wolf either!

I did like the love bits and pieces but yeah some of it was a bit awkward and not executed particularly well.

I really want them to get Alfonso Cuaran back for the finale.

Snow
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby DucksRMagical » Saturday 18 July 2009 12:50:56am

Snow_Crystal wrote:
I really want them to get Alfonso Cuaran back for the finale.

Snow

Yes, someone finally agrees with me on that!!! :grin: Most people I talk to hated his direction, but I loved it. I think he'd do such a good job with DH, but sadly he won't be directing it.
DucksRMagical
Ambassador to the Land of Ducks.

Postby Ms. Elsewhere » Saturday 18 July 2009 1:34:02pm

I have to say, I couldn't recommend this movie to anyone older than teen, because it just wasn't deep enough for adults. It also felt so crammed.. rushed and only scratched the surface ,and still in almost 2 1/2 hours! wow.

I am grateful for it though, love putting a visual to the books. But I keep telilng ppl... the books!!! you MUST read the books to understand the hype!

xx
Ms. Elsewhere
Scholar of all that is Deep and Meaningful

Postby Scellanis » Monday 20 July 2009 5:27:11pm

Yeah my sister has been ranting about lack of big battle at the end. She also spotted that Luna stole a number of people's parts such as Tonk's fixing Harry's nose...

Also what the hell is with burning down the Weasley's house in this film, how they gonna start the film of the last book now, they have already written out Bill and Fleur and now they've burnt the house down early...where they gonna live this summer...and what happened to Harry's house that Sirius left him, its kinda important given thats where the locket is meant to be...

Do have to say though that Ron's love potion just made my day entirely, it was wonderful, I laughed so much, he is so cute!
Scellanis
Hufflepuff Prefect

Location: Pretending to be a sea slug with 'go faster' stripes...

Return to The Movies