Recommended Movies

Meet everyone here in The Great Hall for general discussions. Here you'll find a friendly place to talk about all things under the magnificent magical ceiling...even stuff not connected with Harry Potter!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, DucksRMagical, Broccoli, Run Away!!!, Phoenix in the Ashes

Postby HuffleDuck » Tuesday 1 July 2003 7:39:34pm

:razz: Disney movies probably are my favorite.
Monster Inc.
Shrek
Lion King
Lilo & Stitch
Beauty & the Beast
Cinderella
Finding Nemo
Tarzan
A bug's life
Lady and the Tramp.
Pinnochio
the Emperor's New Groove
This is all i can think of right now

Action Movie
Charlie's Angels 1&2
Lord of the Ring 1&2
X-Men 1&2
Matrix Reloaded
Terminator:Rise of the Machine
The Mummy 1&2
Probably more but couldn't remember :razz: :lol:
HuffleDuck
Keeper of the Lake

Postby Hermione » Tuesday 1 July 2003 8:12:26pm

Oh! Here are a couple more movies that I just thought of:

Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service (It's much cooler in Japanese- not that I actually understand Japanese, of course, though there are Chinese subtitles!;))
Totoro (Once again, much better in Japanese w/ Chinese subtitles- the english version is just lame)
Hermione
Hogwarts Librarian and Resident Muse

Postby hermionegirl09 » Tuesday 1 July 2003 9:10:42pm

surprised no ones' said HP yet...

Legally Blonde
Daredevil
Bruce Almighty
Monster's Inc.
HP (duh)
Sweet Home Alabama
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Liar Liar
What Women Want
Austin Powers 1,2,&3

that's all i can think of for now but im sure i can think of more later. :D
hermionegirl09
Gryffindor Chaser

Postby HuffleDuck » Wednesday 2 July 2003 1:01:42am

jfghfg
HuffleDuck
Keeper of the Lake

Postby HuffleDuck » Wednesday 2 July 2003 1:02:10am

:D Hermione, i know where to get Kiki and Spirited Away in english subtitle.. Using mIRC of course. anyway.. Since you have mentioned japanese.. I'll put some up too..

Comedy, Action, Fantasy, & Romance Series
One Piece
Ayashi no Ceres
Kenshin(Cartoon Network)
Naruto
Hack Sign(Adult Swim)
Groove Adventure Rave
Hellsing
GetBackers
Hikaru no Go(A Japanese game called Go play on board, kinda similiar to Chess but different)
Shaman King(Coming soon to Fox on cable)

:razz: Well all of them have English subtitle and some are on cable right now.
there are probably more good ones, but haven't watched yet
And by the way Animatrix is really cool!! :grin:
HuffleDuck
Keeper of the Lake

Postby Mint » Wednesday 2 July 2003 3:30:50pm

Spirited Away is the best cartoon that i EVER saw!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone go rent it!!! (or buy it) - you won't regret it. Amazing story! Amazing art! Amazing animated movie! :D
Mint
Slytherin Prefect, Hogwarts Librarian and Milady of the Night

Location: Chasing evil duck commander Choki >:( on a chocobo!!!

Postby Blaise Zabini » Saturday 5 July 2003 12:48:26am

So, so, many...

The Shawshank Redemption - My favourite movie, ever. End of story. The ending was so incredibly good.

A Beautiful Mind - So, so good. So thought-provoking. One of those movies that make you want to be brilliant.

BlackHawk Down - Sad, but incredibly good. Was horribly graphic but got it's point across quite well. I had to sit in the theatre for at least fifteen minutes after it ended so I wouldn't be crying when I left.

The Cider House Rules - I made my mother say 'Goodnight you princes of Maine, you kings of New England' to me before I went to bed for at least a month after I saw the movie. Yeah, I was an incredibly not-nerdy kid. ;)

Citizen Kane - Um, enough said.

Edward Scissorhands - I still want scissors for hands. Just thik of the possibilities.

Moulin Rouge - Woohoo! A singing Ewan McGregor. What more could one want?

The Wizard of Oz - Much better than the book.

The Lion King - The bird thing was excellent. Oh, and Rafiki.

Mary Poppins - I tried to jump into my chalk doodles for years. In fact, I probably still do.

Requiem for a Dream - Intelligent, crazy good.

Dogma - Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. Nummy. Brilliant movie, as well.

Memento - Intelligent. A definite 'thinking movie.' Excellent plot devices.

Monty Python - Need I say more?

Shrek - Hehe.
Blaise Zabini
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby zledm007 » Saturday 5 July 2003 2:31:53am

the best movie i've seen recently has got to be "Finding Nemo". it was hillarious. i especially loved the part where they first met the turtles and the "and you were like whoa, and then you were like whoa...." i laughed so hard i cried :lol:

also, monsters inc., shrek, the matrix 1 and 2, lord of the rings 1 and 2, oh and i just watched happy gilmore angain, still hillarious after about 20 times. i love adam sandler. any of his stuff is awesome.

well, those are my thoughts...
zledm007
Divination Teacher and Jazz Master for the Universe

Postby choki » Saturday 5 July 2003 9:30:33am

There is this new HongKong movie "Twins Effect". It is about vampires and vampire slayers...but it isn't scary but funny. There's a cameo by Jackie Chan.
I think Twins Effect will be shown in America.
choki
Gryffindor Prefect and Silent Guardian Of Stars

Postby Meg Boyd » Sunday 27 July 2003 1:08:55am

Ok my favorite movies are:

The Blues Brothers...Oh MY GOSH I Love this movie so much I could quote the entire movie! "We're On A Mission From God"...this is the best movie ever...Wild Stunt Driving, Mystery Men, Blues Music, and the Catholic faith in one awesome movie...

going along with movies with John Belushi is another great flick Animal House..."Oh Boy is this great!"...this is the reason I want to go to college...or not...

or I just want to rid the world from ghosts...Ghostbusters rules, there is nothing more to say...

Anything from Pixar rules...such as FINDING NEMO...I saw it with my Mom and it was a blast, but I like all those movies, especially Monsters Inc however I have yet to see that movie in english cuz i saw it with my host family in france...

Speaking of France I really love this French film...Amelie...it really makes you think about how we live our lives, taking good risks, and finding that one special some one that we love...

Another foreign film (well foreign to me, I am from Wisconsin) I love is Strictly Ballroom..."Scott Hastings...Noooo!"

The last film is The Wizard of Oz....this is a childhood favorite I watched everyday with The Kids. We used to act it out! I was Dorothy, Ryan was the Lion, Travis was Toto (Travis was a baby at the time) and Tiff was everyone else!!!!
Meg Boyd
Head Girl, Ravenclaw Prefect and Maker of Witty Random Statements Since 1986 A.D.

Postby AccioNiffler » Sunday 27 July 2003 6:10:03pm

Oooh, this is a great thread. There are so many good movies!

My Top 5, well, umm, Top 6 (it's so hard to narrow them down!) of all time:
1. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure this is like Keanu's (sp?) first film or something, you know, pre-Matrix, pre-Dogstar (or whatever his band is called) but yea, back when he was good. (I know, I know, I'll probably get yelled at for that comment, but I'm sorry, I really cant stomach him or the matrix much more! :oops: :lol: )
2. Ferris Bueller's Day Off How has the been left out so far?! Matthew Broderick is SO great! The first time I saw this I was pretty young, and it really taught me a thing or two about how to fake being ill so I can stay home from school!
3. Dirty Dancing Boys, you dont understand why this is on my top 5, girls, isnt it obvious??
4. Spirited Away This is some of the most beautiful animation that I have ever seen
5. The Ninth Gate Starring Johnny Depp *romantic sigh* Who wouldn't love a movie that he's in (Pirates of the Carribbean, I suggest you all go see it!). This movie's about the devil, but isnt really like a good vs. evil sort of thing, it's more of a evil vs. really evil sort of thing
6. The Nightmare on Elm Street: Freddy's Dead Best Freddy movie ever! (and ooh, ooh! Frddy vs. Jason comes out on August 15th! Everyone should go see it at least 10 times! Freddy is definitly going to win!!)

There are a lot of other good movies All the Freddy movies (I'm a bit obbsessed with these movies, ie: posters, figurines etc. :embarrassed: ), the Ice Cream Man (Clint Howard, what a wonderful actor...), all Halloween movies except for H2O, Empire of the Ants, Psycho, Sleepy Hollow (already mentioned by Gryffindor Student), *can you tell I like horror?! :grin: * Tim Burton's the Nightmare Before Christmas, Gattaca (already mentioned by Gecko), Amelie (already mentioned by Meg, and also mentioned on the quotes thread), Igby Goes Down (great, great movie starring Macauly-how do you spell that-Caulkin's-or that?- younger brother, who happens to be a much better actor than, and also much better looking than his brother), Spiderman..... geez, I could go on and on, but I'll spare you all from my bad taste in movies! :lol: :lol: :lol:
AccioNiffler
Caretaker of all Flying Fluffballs and Stewardess Extraordinaire

Postby azn wizard » Sunday 27 July 2003 8:01:00pm

choki wrote:There is this new HongKong movie "Twins Effect". It is about vampires and vampire slayers...but it isn't scary but funny. There's a cameo by Jackie Chan.
I think Twins Effect will be shown in America.

whutz up wit hong kong people and vampire slaying? j/k. I didn't know twins could act....

anywayz, movies to see off of my head: Disney Movies (all of them, esp finding nemo, mulan, lion king, aladin, etc), Ocean's Eleven, Italian job, Indiana Jones series, Star Wars, Harry Potter (SS & COS), Sound of Music, Catch Me if You Can, Gangs of New York, LOTR, Titanic, arg...too many....
azn wizard
Keeper Of The Moons

Postby Ju-DedoH » Sunday 27 July 2003 8:22:00pm

HuffleDuck wrote::razz: Disney movies probably are my favorite.
Monster Inc.
Shrek
Lion King

shrek isn't disney ... it's dreamworks
Ju-DedoH
Hufflepuff Prefect, Divination Teacher and Sgt. Pepper

Postby Lolita Banana » Sunday 27 July 2003 9:55:59pm

Lion King and Moulin Rouge
Lolita Banana
Seventh Year

Postby Albus » Monday 28 July 2003 4:13:04pm

2001: A Space Odissey (Stanley Kubrick)
Le fabuleux monde d'Amelie
Chariots of Fire
Life is beautiful (La vita è bella - Roberto Benigni)
Usual Suspects (Bryan Singer) - This is really OUTSTANDING !!!
Forrest Gump
The woman who lived twice (Alfred Hitchcock)
Minority Report (Steven Spielberg)
Fantasia (Walt Disney)

For the ones who hate Disney, try Wile E. Coyote cartoons.
I can assure you they're wonderful :P

I avoided a lot of really good Italian movies, I think you don't know them.
Why are Italian movies so little known :-( ?
Albus
Admirer of Numbers and Watcher of the Stars

PreviousNext

Return to The Great Hall