On the Case

Are you a budding writer? If you have any ideas for Harry potter plots, share them here. Who knows, JK Rowling may take a look and use your ideas in her next book!

Moderators: DucksRMagical, Phoenix in the Ashes, Un'Anima Persa

On the Case

Postby Jenni » Wednesday 1 October 2003 2:20:52am

Pale golden light streamed in thru the window as they lay in bed on a cool October morning. Hermione stretched lazily, as she drew a deep breath which resulted in a yawn as her body luxuriated in the feel of the cool sheets against her skin. She smiled as she felt the warmth of her husband laying next to her. She wished they could lie like this forever. God, she loved him so much. Laying her head on his chest, she could feel him breathing softly on her cheek, and hear his steady heartbeat deep in her soul. He was her life. She acknowledged the fact that she was lucky to be here at all with him, even five years later. The death of Voldemort had almost been the death of them both, and their friend Ron as well. But no one was affected more than Harry, who still had nightmares about that night.....

*High-pitched, cold laughter filled his mind as he stumbled blindly through the woods. Hermione! Ron! Oh, light, where could they be? Is it too late, Harry wondered. The cold voice he olnly heard in his head taunted him. "Come, young Harry! Come and find your friends. It is you or them. Either way, you will pay---TONIGHT!" Cold, mirthless laughter rang through his head as he searched deeper and deeper into the woods for signs of his best friends...or Voldemort.....*

He stirred in his sleep. He was having the nightmare again, Hermione realized. She ran her fingers lightly over his forehead, brushing the messy black hair away from his face as his brow wrinkled against the terrible images in his mind. She gently kissed the spot where the scar had been, the scar that people were even more curious about now that it was gone.

It had been no ordinary scar. It was given to him by none other than Voldemort himself, on that long ago, fateful night when his parents had given their lives to protect Harry. Voldemort had been temporarily defeated, leaving the young Harry an orphan, with only the curse-scar.

Hermione remembered waking up in the hospital wing at Hogwarts days after Harry defeated the Dark Lord.

*Her eyes fluttered open. HARRY!, she thought. She sat bolt upright as Madam Pomfrey came rushing over. "Now, now, dear one, lay yourself back down! You've been thru a lot, you need to rest"

"Where is Harry? Where is Ron? I need to see them!" Hermione asked frantically.

Trying to calm the struggling girl, Madam Pomfrey said, "They're here. Ron is going to be alright. We aren't sure about Harry, though we are doing all we can. But you need to calm yourself, or you will be of no good to either one of them!" Finally realizing she was fighting a losing battle, Madam Pomfrey allowed her to creep out of bed, and over to the silent forms on the two beds next to her. There was Ron, breathing steadily, with bruises and cuts all over his face. His red hair was dark and damp with sweat as it clung to his skin. "Oh Ron!" she cried as she touched his hand. There was no response, no acknowledgement from Ron that she was even at his bedside. She crept silently over to the next still form. Breathing deeply, she looked into the face of the man that she would realize later that she loved more than life itself. If she thought Ron was bad, it was nothing compared to Harry. Tears streming down her cheeks, stinging the wounds on her own cheeks, she reached out her hand and drew her fingers down Harry's face, and back along his forehead. It was then she noticed--

"The SCAR!", or the lack thereof.

"Yes, Miss Granger," the familiar voice said. She jumped startled to find Professor Dumbledoreon the other side of Harry's bed. He looked tired and worn as he gazed at her with that knowing look from behind his half-moon shaped glasses.

"The curse-scar, given to him so long ago by Voldemort, is no more. It vanished the very moment Voldemort died. Because it was given to him as a result of the failed attempt on his life, so it disappeared with the demise of the evil one. "

She looked back at Harry, then at Dumbledore again. "How long...how long has it been since..."

"Nearly a week.", the headmaster replied. "Madam Pomfrey expects Mr. Weasley to be up and about any time, but the both of you need to be there for Harry. Even if he pulls through this, you are all in for rough months ahead, for even though no physical scar is visible anymore, the traumatic events of last week bears terrible scars of their own."

"So Voldemort is really dead this time?" Hermione asked.

"Yes," he smiled. "However, Voldemort had many followers, many of whom may very well wish to avenge their lord, and follow in his footsteps. You need to have constant vigilance. Be ready for anything, Hermione."*

She felt Harry relax from the dream as her lips pulled away from his forehead. His bright green eyes fluttered open.

"Morning, you", said Harry

"Morning, my love" she said as he sat up and leaned over her, taking her breath away with a deep kiss.

"Sleep well?" Harry asked as he held her in his arms.

"Never better," Hermione replied. She always slept well when Harry was next to her. "Ready to start a new day?"

Harry checkled. "Of course! Nothing gives my life greater meaning that hunting down Voldemort's supporters and throwing them into Azkaban for life" he said.

They both worked for the Ministry of Magic now. They were the top Aurors that the Ministry had, and no Death-Eater was safe when the Potters were on the trail. As Dumbledore had said five years ago, there were still a mass of Death-Eaters out there whose lives were shattered with the passing of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. Any of whom very well might be plotting a scheme to wreak vengeance on the trio for their part in the demise of their Dark Lord. Harry smiled. "Bring it on!" was one of his favorite sayings now as he and Hermione had seen nearly 75 Death-Eaters see justice.

Harry crawled out of bed and gave a great stretch. Morning seemed to come earlier and earlier everyday.

"By the way, Ginny sent an owl yesterday." Hermione said, brushing her hair out.

"Did she? How is the Malfoy...er...would you call that a family?" Harry said doubtfully.

"HARRY! I have told you time and again that Draco Malfoy is past all that. He loves Ginny and even Ron is finally starting to see that. I'd think you'd be a little more considerate to her feelings than referring to him as the ferret that got loose.", Hermione said, but her eyes danced with laughter.

"Well, I can't help feelings that die hard. Besides, Fred and George both feel that their line of bouncing ferrets were an inspired idea and they are amoung the top-selling toys for toddlers. So they wanted Malfoy to pose for a picture in their ad in the Prophet. It fits, I mean, he IS the reason they made the toy in the first place!"

Hermione smiled. "Anyway, Ginny said that Ron and Luna were going to be in London next week promoting her new novel about the thestrals of Hogwarts. The Daily Prophet expects it to be a number one seller."

"Yeah, if you count only those who read The Quibbler " Harry replied.

"Well, be that as it may, Ginny thought it would be a good idea for all of us to get together for dinner at her house next Friday. Ron doesn't have anymore training sessions until next month. She says he's extremely glad for the break, that he was starting to chafe from being on the broomstick almost 24-7. You remember how fanatical Wood was when he was at Hogwarts." Hermione said.

Yes indeed, Harry remembered the Quidditch fanatic and the demanding practices they had. He thought it was funny when Ron, who never played with Wood before, came back from his first practice on the Puddlemere team. ("I KNEW I should have tried to join the Cannons!", Ron had spat. Harry had just laughed.)

"I'm surprised Wood gave them 3 weeks off. I know the World Cup was last month, but that never stopped Wood from wanting to get a head start on things." Harry said.

"Well, I'm going to jump in the shower...why don't you write to Ginny and tell her we will be there for dinner. Or...you could join me?" Hermione said teasingly.

Hedwig, who had been watching the two out of one eye, hooted disdainfully and went back to sleep as Harry made a beeline for the bathroom.
Jenni
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Jenni » Wednesday 1 October 2003 2:22:29am

I'm a little nervous writing this...please tell me what you think before i post more of the story. Thanks!! :D
Jenni

Postby pinky p » Wednesday 12 November 2003 12:02:13am

i like it... a lot! er... its been a looong while since you wrote it but should that stop my feedback?
pinky p
Supreme Pie-Eater, Registered Animagus (Platypus) and Princess of All Pink Grapefruit

Location: either swimming, sleeping, eating, or doing schoolwork... my life these days

Postby Jenni » Wednesday 12 November 2003 12:48:53am

Wow! I forgot I had posted this story! LOL Of course I'll post more, as long as you want to read it!

---------------------

Harry sat in his office at the Ministry of Magic building. He was sitting there, surrounded by pictures of he, Ron, and Hermione at different stages of their school career. There was the one of he and Ron accepting the Quidditch cup from Dumbledore his sixth year, there was the one of he and Hermione all dressed up at the Halloween Ball during seventh year. They weren't an item at the time, but Neville had tried to ask Hermione to the ball and she told him that she had agreed to go with Harry, and Harry, who couldn't have had a better time with anyone else, didn't say anything to object to the lie. There was a picture of he and Hermione's wedding day, with Ron there as his best man. They were all smiling and laughing, looking very much like the picture that was in the frame next to it, which was that of his parents and Sirius. It still stung, the fact that he had lost his godfather during fifth year. But he had learned not to dwell on what might have been and concentrate on what was real and in front of him. It just gave him even more fuel to keep up the fight.

His thoughts then turned to the wall of his office that was covered in pictures, but not those of the ones he loved the most. Blinking at him menacingly from these were pictures of Death-Eaters, suspected or known, caught or still on the loose. This was his wall of fury. He had always had a temper, but with age, he had learned to forge it into a steel sword that he could use against the evil doers. His eyes fell on the biggest picture. It was of the one man he would most love to catch. The man, his long, white-blonde hair pulled back into a ponytail, sneered at Harry as if he could reach right thru the picture and hex him. Lucius Malfoy, father of Harry's long-time rival, was known to be a Death-Eater, if only anyone could gain hard proof of the fact. Malfoy's evil was known all over the Tri-Wizard area, but coin (as well as a few well-placed memory charms, Harry was certain) went a long way to keep him one step ahead of Harry. Even his estranged son Draco couldn't say exactly where his father was, or what he was up to. Draco may have changed for the better, (Ginny had an amazing affect on the twisted mind of Draco Malfoy, and she didn't even have to use magic!) but he couldn't make himself appreciate the fact that the once shy, quiet girl who had once had an enormous crush on himself was now about to bear the offspring of that...Slytherin psycho!

"So, Potter, still trying to work out how to catch that deranged human being I like to call my father?"

As if drawn there by Harry's thoughts, in the doorway stood none other than Draco Malfoy. He was tall now, blonde hair no longer stuck ridiculously to his head. It was getting rather long for a guy, but unlike his father, he wore it spiked in random directions, which was the style many wizards were wearing their hair these days. (Why, Harry thought, he would never understand. Rather childish, really, as Hermione had said when she saw the same style on Ron.)

"What do you want, Malfoy?" Harry asked, a bit too edgily.

"Relax, Potter, I didn't come to pick a fight. Ginny asked me to stop by and ask if your wife would mind coming by the house tonight, as i have to patrol all night. She doesn't want to be there alone so close to her due date and Padma and Parvati are going to be at the joke shop all night helping Fred and George inventory all the items."

"Well, I can't speak for Hermione, but I'm almost positive she wouldn't mind. Send her an inter-office memo, she's down in the Ministry Library right now hunting down some lead." Harry said.

"Right then." Malfoy said as he strode away without another word.

Harry looked at the spot where Draco had just been, proud of himself for not taking the chance to bash the man's head in.

"No, no, the Canary Cremes go next to the Bucking Boullions...it's in alphabetical order, dear." Padma said as she peered over at George from behind the box of exploding snaps she was carrying. "See? There's the Apparating Apples, then the boullions, the cremes, then the Dastardly Delights...."

"I'm so glad someone around here knows their alphabet. But then, you always were smart. No wonder you were in Ravenclaw," George replied, filling the shelf with boxes of Canary Cremes. This was the worst part of owning a joke shop. Because of the delicate magical nature of all the items in the store, no active magic could be used to stock the shelves, so they had to do it the Muggle way. He and Fred would have hired someone who liked work to come in and do it for them, but they just didn't trust their beloved items to be handled by just anyone. He hated anything he had to do the Muggle way, though, as it took time away from he and Fred's workshop in the back where they created the never-ending flow of joking novelties that set their shop apart from the ordinary shops like Zonko's.

"Hey George," Fred called, coming out of the workshop where he had been perusing the Daily Prophet. "Our youngest ickle brother Ronnie was in the paper again, along with Loony Luna." Padma and George stopped to look at the newest aritcle on the couple.

"Another one? What did they do this time? Take an invisible poop that had a life of it's own? They are in the paper every other day for something or other!", George said, making a mental note to see if they could make a pill that actually made your poop invisible...oh the fun they could have with that....

Just then, Parvati walked up behind the twin brothers and looked at the paper as well. She watched the picture they had of Ron, taken at one of his games, as he made a nice save on his broom. "Will you guys ever grow up? You know you're just as proud of him as your parents are...your scrapbook is nearly as full! Besides, it's just making mention of them being in town next week promoting Luna's new book. They'll be at Flourish and Blotts from noon until five, Ron signing posters, and Luna signing the books."

"Well, at least he's in the paper for something good. I was half sure he'd turn out to be a big dope like Percy. That boy is constantly chasing whoever he thinks he can kiss up to the best. Remember Crouch? Ha!" Fred laughed.

"Yeah, then when Harry became the top Auror at the Ministry, he tried his best to get back in HIS good graces. Ha! Kept saying that the letter he had written to Ron in his fifth year urging him to sever ties with Harry was done completely under the Imperius Curse the whole time. What a load of---"

"Dear, is your parents going to be at Ginny's house Friday evening?" Geroge was cut off by Padma, who really didn't feel like sitting through another Percy-bashing session. She and Parvati both felt families should remain united and the constant jokes didn't do a thing to help.

"Dad may, though I think Mum is still quarreling with Ginny over her marriage to Draco. The Malfoy family name is still mud around the Burrow, even though Draco renounced his father five years ago. But then again, it's been awhile since she's seen her ickle Ronniekins and Harry-boo, so she might surprise us all and show up!"

Parvati looked at Padma and sighed. There was definate affection in the Weasley family, but try to get them all gathered without any curses, hexes, or jinxes was nearly impossible. "Well, why don't you and I, Padma, finish this up out here and the guys can get things tagged and cataloged in the back room."

"Wonderful idea!" George said as he and Fred ran to their workshop. They had apparently both made a mental note about the invisible poop pill and were excited to get started on the development. Parvati watched their backs retreat into the room and sighed again. This inventory was going to take all week!
Jenni

Postby pinky p » Wednesday 12 November 2003 4:59:19am

ooer i like it! keep writing :grin: :razz:
pinky p
Supreme Pie-Eater, Registered Animagus (Platypus) and Princess of All Pink Grapefruit

Location: either swimming, sleeping, eating, or doing schoolwork... my life these days

Postby Jenni » Saturday 15 November 2003 1:30:20am

Awww, thanks! I have fun writing it, I only hope you like reading it just as much! :grin:

------------------------------------

The wind was blowing strong as a dark cloud covered the sun shining on Diagon Alley. Most people were wearing rain cloaks as if anticipating the bad weather. Hermione didn't care if she got wet, she figured being outdoors during a rainstorm, you were bound to be miserable anyway, so why not be wet too? Besides, it was an excuse to stop at the ice cream shop while the rain passed through.

She was on her way to the library. She had found out that Ginny was going to be staying with them for a few days while Draco was on patrol, so she was off to research what to do in the case she went into labor. She knew what to do when a Muggle baby was born, but what about a witch's baby? Was it any different. She desperately wanted children of her own, and she knew Harry did too. He wanted his children to have the kind of childhood he had always dreamed about having himself...both parents, loving, caring nurturing...alive...

She was startled out her reverie by an old, tall woman wearing a tattered blue cape and violet robes. "Yoo-hoo, miss...aren't you...yes, I think..my heavens...you're..."

"No, ma'am..you're thinking of someone else...I'm just plain old Rosanna Bougeois...no one special..." Hermione tried to duck her head down and walk the other way when the old lady said "HERMIONE GRANGER! Or should I say---Hermione Potter.."

Hermione, shaking her head, swore softly under her breath. How DID Harry put up with it his whole life? She knew he had grown accustomed to the fame, even though he still hated it. Ron, who had also become famous after their defeat of Voldemort, loved the attention. He got even more of his own fame when he was accepted onto the Puddlemere Quidditch team. But Hermione hated it.

Knowing there would be no way of getting out of this one, as heads all up and down the street began to stare at her, she resigned herself to shaking the woman's hand and those of the dozens of people who had gathered around her. By now, rain was steadily falling, but no one was even bothering to pull the hoods of their cloaks up. So much for my ice cream and a nice afternoon at the library, Hermione thought a tad bitterly. Her hand was beginning to get sore from everyone grabbing at it and she knew she had to do something before she screamed!

Everyone was now asking her about Harry and Ron, and just what did Voldemort look like, and is what if any other than Professor McGonagall takes the Headmistress position at Hogwart's, will they allow their children to one day go there...

Just when Hermione was on the breaking point, she felt someone grab her arm and pull her up against them protectively. "All right, nothing to see here. Move along people!" She immediately recognized the voice as that of Remus Lupin, their once Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

"Moony!", she exclaimed as he pulled her to safety in one of the shops. She threw her arms around his neck as he hugged her, patting her on the back. Lupin had come to be sort of a father figure to Harry, since Sirius was no longer alive. Hermione loved him almost as dearly as she loved her own father. However, they had to keep the closeness of their relationship quiet to outsiders, for Lupin was no ordinary wizard. He was a werewolf.

"Thank you so much for rescuing me out there. I would have Apparated, but with all those people touching me, it would have been bad. And their intentions are good. I'd hate to have to hurt somoeone." Hermione said as they took a seat at a table. He had pulled her into a quiet cafe away from the maddening crowd.

"Not a problem. You looked to be having a bit of difficulty out there and Harry wouldn't be happy if I'd let something happen to you." He chuckled.

"Ugh! I'm all wet and basically just annoyed, but I'm all right. Scourgify! " she said, and immediately her hair was dry once more and her robes were unruffled. She sighed. "That's better!"

"It can be a bit trying at times, I'll have to agree.", Lupin said, smiling. "So, how have you been? Haven't heard from you or Harry in ages it seems. Tragic how caught up in daily life we become."

Hermione sighed and bowed her head. "I know, and I'm sorry. It's just things get so crazy and I think we finally have a lead on where Malfoy may be at. There were some rather strange occurences last week just outside of Wales that Harry thinks might be where he is gathering followers. I hope we catch him soon. We don't need another...You-Know-Who.", she said. Even though he was gone for good this time, people still shuddered at the sound of Voldemort's name. She didn't want to start a panic here, after all.

Just then, the waitress came over. They ordered two mugs of hot butterbeer to take away the chill of the rain. She ran off to complete their orders.

"Well, he should really talk to Dumbledore about this. Not trying to underestimate Harry, but he shouldn't think that he can take on Malfoy by himself. Even if he does find him, there's no telling what Malfoy has in store for him...and yourself. Promise me you'll write to Dumbledore, even if Harry is too stubborn to admit he needs help." Lupin said soberly.

"Yes, of course I will, and you are too right. Harry is stubborn." she said grinning.

The waitress came back with two steaming mugs of hot butterbeer, the foam thick and creamy on the top.

"Thank you," Lupin murmured as he took a sip of his drink. "Ahh...hits the spot every time. So, how is Ginny and Draco doing? And the twins?"

"They are well. I was actually on my way to the library to do some research on birthing witch babies. Draco's on patrol for the next several nights and the twins are taking an inventory of the shop, so Ginny is coming to stay with us for a few days. It would be our luck that she went into labor while she was there, and you can never be too prepared."

Lupin chuckled, taking another draw from his glass. "That's our Hermione. Always thinking, always ready with a book at hand."

"Well, I don't know what to expect, and I figure I will need to know all this anyway, should Harry and I have kids.", she replied.

He saw the sad, longing look in her eyes as she stared off into space, dreaming perhaps of holding her and Harry's little one in her arms. He decided to change the subject.

"So, Ron has some time off from Quidditch, eh?"

They finished their drinks and conversation, and with many promises to have Harry call on Lupin, she was back on her way to the library, (in a better mood, admittedly) and the sun finally starting to peek out again from behind the dark cloud.

Harry looked nervously around the living room. Scratching his head, he looked for things that could be out of place. Draco and Ginny were going to be coming by any moment and if the house was the least bit dirty, it would give Draco reason to sneer at him, and he, for Ginny's sake, wanted to keep the peace with Malfoy. Ginny had enough to worry about with her parents not approving of her marriage, she didn't need it from Harry too. If they were at the dinner next Friday, he was going to have to talk to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. They would listen to him, and besides, for all he knew, the only reason they didn't care for Malfoy (especially Mrs. Weasley) was because of all Harry suffered on the Malfoy's account.

CRACK

There stood Ginny, looking swollen and tired, but beautiful and glowing. She was holding a light bag, and dressed in loose robes of thin material. Her freckled face was shining in perspiration from the excertion of Apparating in her third trimester, but her eyes sparkled as bright as ever as she looked at Harry.

"Harry! How are you, my friend?" She leaned forward to hug Harry as he hurried over to take her bag from her.

"I'm well. But what about you? Where is Draco?" Harry said.

"Oh, he's coming. He's carrying the heavier bags, and he wanted to stay behind to make sure I was able to Apparate correctly. I'm really not supposed to, this late in the pregnancy, and trust me, we got into it about it. But in the end, I won. I always do." she said with that unmistakable mischevous tone of voice that only Ginny could pull off. Harry had to grin. But he also had to play the role of protective older brother, as if she didn't have enough.

"Now, Ginny, if you aren't supposed to do it, then why risk it? We want the both of you nice and healthy!"

"Well, I was talking to Hermione just this afternoon, and she had done some research on the topic and she told me that I should be just fine as long as I was careful." Ginny shrugged.

"Hermione told you that? She didn't tell you that it could be bad if you Apparated and your child did not?" Harry said, appauled.

"I was careful, I'm here, and I'm fine! I also used a protection charm, but--er, that's not the point!"

There was another loud crack as Draco Apparated, carrying the heavier of Ginny's bags. He looked around, as Harry suspected, for something to criticize. Finding nothing, and apparently on the sore side because of it, he sneered at Harry.

"You watch after her close, do you hear me? And should anything happen, you and your...wife...had better inform me with alacrity, Potter!"

"I'll be fine really, dear. Harry and Hermione have helped watch after me since I was eleven, after all." Ginny said, placating her aggitated husband. "You have no need to worry. I'm among family."

"Yeah, don't get your panties in a wad, there, Draco. Should the baby arrive, we'll get in touch with you. I have my connections." Harry said, trying to keep his calm in front of Ginny.

"Well, just rest and take care of our little one, Gin." Draco leaned in for a quick kiss. He gave Harry another glare, as he didn't like to be reminded of Harry's high status at the Ministry, and with a crack, he was gone.

"Well, lets get you all settled in here. How have you been? Ron tells me you still haven't spoken to your mum." said Harry, taking the bag that was deposited by Draco and leading her to the guest bedroom.

"And I won't as long as she continues to be a stubborn mule-headed witch!" Ginny spat.

"Oh, that well, eh?" Harry smirked. "But you shouldn't go so long without speaking to her. You just never know what will happen. Besides, if you want, I'll talk to her about Draco...tell her I'm fine with it, that he's changed, blah-blah-blah. How's that? She'll accept him in time."

"In time. Harry, that's just it. Dad has accepted it. Why can't she? I mean, she's supposed to be there for me and respect my decisions! She-she's supposed to be th-there to see the baby--her f-first grandchild..." Ginny was sobbing uncontrollably now. Harry, trying to comfort the upset Ginny, didn't see the vase fly across the room and smash into the wall.

"Reparo"

Hermione, who had just apparated in time to see the vase smash into hundreds of pieces, had her wand out, pointed at the now repaired vase of flowers. "Wingardium Leviosa! ", she said and with a swish and flick of her wand, sent it back to it's resting place on the bedside table.

Ginny, tears still running down her cheeks, apologized. "I'm sorry! This has been happening ever since the sixth month. I don't know how it happens, but when I'm feeling particularly emotional, things happen..."

"Which is perfectly normal in your condition." Hermione said, handing her a handkerchief and putting her arms around her. "And everyone is emotional during their pregnancy, Muggles and witches alike. It's only human. My dad thought he wouldn't live to see me born. I was told a lot more than vases were broken, because they were all aimed at my dad's head."

"Well, I think I'm going to write to your mum now, Ginny. There's no sense in this nonsense to carry on. Best to have reconciliation now before your baby comes." Harry said, as Hermione sat on the bed with her arms around Ginny. She nodded as she fiddled with the damp handkerchief.

He sat down at the desk, took out a piece of parchment, and with quill and ink in hand, began to write:

Dear Mrs. Weasley,

Greetings and salutations from the Potter residence! Hope Hedwig finds you and Mr. Weasley feeling well. Sorry it's been so long since my last letter, or visit, but Hermione and I have both been very busy at the Ministry. While we're not as--

He stopped as he thought of a way to put it nicely.

--fanatical as Percy, we have spent our share of late nights there at the office (or in Hermione's case, in the library). But you know her, that place is her second home, ha ha.
Anyway, there is also a reason behind this letter. I was wondering if you could perhaps put aside your differences with Ginny. You may not approve of her choice of husband, but he really has changed. He may still have that sarcastic attitude, but he isn't like his family. And he genuinely cares very deeply for Ginny.
You are the only family I've ever known. I hate to see this terrible rift come between the only mother and sister I've ever known, especially in the joyous event coming up very soon. Ginny needs her mother by her side as she welcomes her and Draco's baby into this world. So please, for Ginny's sake as well as the whole family's please consider coming to dinner Friday and talking with her. Ginny is staying with us for a few days as Draco is on patrol, if you don't want to wait until then.

All my love,

Harry

He looked up, finally finished. Ginny had fallen asleep and Hermione sat there brushing the hair off her face as she would a child's as Ginny breathed softly in her sleep. He read the letter to Hermione for her approval and, (after a slight frown when he read her the part about the library) said it was very good, and if anything could reconcile the fight between the two, that would do it.

He went to find Hedwig in her cage, tied the letter to her leg, and told her to deliver it to Mrs. Weasley at the Burrow. She soared out the window and into the night sky.
Jenni

Postby pinky p » Sunday 16 November 2003 6:07:19pm

:grin: yay, good story!
pinky p

Postby Meg Boyd » Monday 17 November 2003 5:47:04am

I'm liking it a lot. I am writing a full-length harry potter epilogue fan fic too, and its neat to see other people's take on an ending to the same story! I really liked how the two sets of twins married each other, just enough for some comic relief! Keep up the good work and read my story, its actually in two threads now (maybe not for long) and it starts in "A New Found Story...hee hee hee" and continued in "A Newfound Story Continued (Spoilers)"! I like the story and keep writing cause I know I will!
Meg Boyd
Head Girl, Ravenclaw Prefect and Maker of Witty Random Statements Since 1986 A.D.

Postby Jenni » Tuesday 18 November 2003 1:31:46am

No joke! It just goes to show you that everyone is (thankfully) different! And yes, I'll check it out! I love stories set after Hogwarts...you can do anything with them!

----------------------

Hermione jumped as she heard someone Apparate right behind her. She swung around, wand in hand, and a body-bind charm on her lips. Who would be Apparating this early in the morning? She stopped as she saw Mrs. Weasley standing there with a bag.

"Hello, Hermione, dear! How are you feeling? I just got Harry's letter. Of course I will try to make amends with Ginny. Oh, dear, what will she say?"

"She will most likely just be relieved. She needs you more than she lets on, I'll tell you that much." Hermione said, as she took the bag from Mrs. Weasley and gave her a big hug. "She should be up and about any moment...."

Just then, a sleepy Ginny wandered into the living room, where Mrs. Weasley had set herself on the sofa. Yawning, she said, "W-who in t-the wor-rld could be A-apparating this early in the m-morning?"
She stopped as she saw her mother sitting there looking as if she wanted to run and hug Ginny, but was using extreme will to force herself not to.

"Oh. Hello, mother. I'll just be in my room. Excuse me.." Ginny turned to leave, but Hermione stopped her.

"Oh, don't be a Ginny-ninny! Get back in here and you talk to her! She's your mother!"

Ginny turned back to her mother. "Well, Mum, I'm not going to apologize yet again for marrying Draco. I love him, he loves me, and we're going to have a baby with or without your consent."

"I know, dear. And I've been doing some thinking. If he loves you half as much as you, Harry, and Hermione say he does, then...oh get over here and give me a hug!"

Ginny, a huge smile on her face, waddled over to her mother, where they were hugging and crying all at the same time.

Harry came stumbling out, hair messier than ever, and yawning said, "Whatt'd I miss?" They all laughed. Just then, Ginny cried out.

"What's the matter dear?" her mother said, alarmed.

"The baby just kicked, that's all..." Ginny said, breathless.

"Are you sure? Should I fetch a doctor?" Hermione asked.

"No, no I'm..." Just then, there was a popping sound and Ginny's robes were soaking wet.

"Harry, go get Draco!" Hermione said. Harry Apparated without another word.

"There are clean towels in the closet down the hall, Ginny can you get to the bedroom?" Hermione asked.

"Yes, I think so.."

They helped the soon to be mother into the bedroom and back into bed.

"I'll go and fetch a doctor. Be right back." Hermione then left Ginny in the care of her mother.

Harry's first stop was to the Ministry to see where Draco was. He'd never had to Apparate in such a frenzy before. He just hoped he found Draco in time. After learning Draco's whereabouts, he left promptly.

He apparated in a dark building. "Lumos", Harry whispered. The tip of his wand flared in light.

"Draco!" He whispered.

"Who's there? Show yourself!" Draco said

"It's Harry...Ginny's in labor!"

Just then, someone hit him from behind, and the world went black.
Jenni

Postby pinky p » Tuesday 18 November 2003 3:40:09am

:o what will happen next?
pinky p

Postby Meg Boyd » Tuesday 18 November 2003 11:51:25pm

and the tension builds...i like it!
Meg Boyd
Head Girl, Ravenclaw Prefect and Maker of Witty Random Statements Since 1986 A.D.

Postby Jenni » Wednesday 19 November 2003 7:14:56am

High-pitched, cold laughter filled his mind as he stumbled blindly through the woods. Hermione! Ron! Oh, light, where could they be? Is it too late, Harry wondered. The cold voice he only heard in his head taunted him. "Come, young Harry! Come and find your friends. It is you or them. Either way, you will pay---TONIGHT!" Cold, mirthless laughter rang through his head as he searched deeper and deeper into the woods for signs of his best friends...or Voldemort.

He was already tired and weary from the day's events. He had played the toughest game of Quidditch in his life earlier that day, as it was the last showdown between Slytherin and Gryffindor. Gryffindor had won, and they were celebrating when he noticed that Ron and Hermione was strangely missing.

He leaned up against a tree as he struggled to catch his breath. He had to find them...

Pushing his aching body away from the tree, he started out again. Just then, he heard some noise a little ways from where he was positioned. Looking closer, he saw someone move behind a tree. Forgetting his pain in his eagerness to rescue his friends, he moved towards it, wand drawn, and at the ready. "Petrificus Totalis!" he yelled, running forward. Just then, he saw a body fall stiffly to the ground. Harry's anger flared as he saw--

"MALFOY!"

Harry's eyes opened long enough to see through his blurry vision, Malfoy leaning over him.

"He seems to be fine...lets get him out of here...Locomotor Mortis." Draco said.

Harry sank back into the darkness.

"Push, Ginny! Take a deep breath for me!" Mrs. Weasley urged Ginny, as she sat by her bedside, holding her hand.

"You're doing good, there, Mrs. Malfoy. I can see the head...one more good push should do it..", said the doctor, as he held the newborn's head in his hands.

"I CAN'T!" Ginny screamed. "Draco's not here...and Harry hasn't returned either...it's not right.."

"You can't stop the process, Ginny," Hermione said, holding Ginny's other hand. "Besides, there's no telling where Draco was...they'll be back shortly." She flinched as Ginny squeezed her hand. Here came another contraction..

Sobbing, Ginny pushed hard. The rest of the baby's body popped out as the room heard the first cries of the tiny infant. Ginny, breathless, sank back against the pillows, tears streaming down her face. Here was her baby...her and Draco's first child. She felt happy, scared, elated, and upset that Draco had not been able to be here for the birth.

"It's a girl! Congratulations, Mrs. Malfoy." the doctor said as he examined the baby before gently bathing her in the bowl of water by the bed. Wrapping her up in a fluffy blanket, he handed her to Ginny, who was not the only one crying. Mrs. Weasley and Hermione were both smiling and pouring tears at what they had just witnessed.

"Oh, have you thought of a name, dear?" Mrs. Weasley asked.

Ginny nodded. "We had decided that if it was a girl, she would be Emily Renee."

"What a beautiful name!" Hermione cooed, as she looked at the baby.

"Welcome to the world, Emily Renee Malfoy." Mrs. Weasley said.

Draco apparated into the Potter's living room, carrying the limp form of Harry. Setting him down on the sofa, he raced to where the guest bedroom had been turned into the birthing room. "Ginny!" he said, racing to her side.

"Draco! Oh, she's here, Emily's here!" Ginny said.

"Emily? So I have a daughter?" He laughed with joy as he reached for the sleeping child in Ginny's arms.

"But where is Harry?" Hermione asked.

Draco seemed to notice the others in the room for the first time. Looking back and forth from Ginny's mother to Hermione, he grimaced.

"There was a problem...we were in the middle of a skirmish when Harry apparated. He got hit from behind..never saw it coming..he's out on the sofa now. I think he'll be all right just as soon as he regains consciousness." Draco said.

Hermione's bruised hand flew to her mouth, and she ran out of the room to where Harry lay upon the sofa. She knelt by his side as she kissed his lips. He didn't stir. Grasping his hand, she layed her head on his chest. She could feel the rhythmic beating of his heart, and his even breaths. She sobbed into his chest. So much had happened today. She was so tired! When would she and Harry get to spend time alone together? She was happy for Draco and Ginny, and felt priviledged to be able to witness the birth of Emily, but her longing for a child of her own deepened, and here was her husband, incapacitated, and...she couldn't think. She wanted to scream at the world. They had done so much to keep the dark wizards from taking over, and what did they have to show for it? A lovely home, certainly, and the feeling that they were doing something worthwhile to contribute to the safety of the wizarding world. But they rarely had more than a few moments in each others arms before it was time to go and do it all over again.

"There, there, dear. We'll get him fixed up, good as new." Mrs. Weasley said as she patted Hermione's head, still buried in Harry's chest. "He'll be all right." Sniffing, Hermione nodded.

Mrs. Weasley concocted a potion to take the pain away that was undoubtedly bothering Harry even in his uncounscious state, and let him sleep. She and Hermione then coaxed enough down Harry's throat and then got him to his room. After setting him on the bed, Mrs. Weasley said, "I'll leave you to put his bedclothes on, the poor dear..."

She bended down to kiss Harry's forehead, and then left to check on her daughter and granddaughter.

Hermione carefully took her husband's clothes off and as gently as she could, slipped his pajama bottoms on. She decided he would likely sleep better without a shirt on, and so, left the T-shirt in the dresser. She sighed. What really happened tonight, she wondered. She would never tell Harry, but she didn't fully trust Malfoy either, but for Ginny's sake, tried to put the past behind them. It just didn't add up, though. After all, Harry was the top Auror at the Ministry. And here he was, injured by a blow to the head? She resolved to keep a very close watch on Draco Malfoy. If he's consorting with Death-Eaters, they would find out.

Harry awoke to find himself alone in his dark bedroom. He reached for his glasses and sat up in the bed. The only light he could see was the pale moonlight dimly illuminating the various objects around the room. How did he get here? And--Ginny!

Just as he went to get out of bed, Hermione came into the room.

"Oh, you're up!", she said.

"Yeah. Er--what happened? I mean, the last thing I remember, I was trying to tell Malfoy about Ginny. I never saw him, though, but I heard him. That's all I remember." He rubbed his head where he was hit from behind, messing up even more (if possible) his untidy black hair.

"Draco brought you back here. He said you'd been hit on the head during a skirmish, but that he had managed to get you out of there." she said, sitting down on the bed next to him.

"And Ginny and her baby?" asked Harry.

"She had a girl, Emily Renee, both resting comfortably at home. They left yesterday afternoon. Mrs. Weasley left then as well, but she's been checking back in every few hours to see how you are. She left some potion here for you to take for any pain you might experience."

"Yesterday afternoon? How long have I been out?" Harry asked.

"Two days." Hermione said, quietly. Not wanting Harry to know how worried about him she really was, she said, "Mrs. Weasley said it was good that you finally were able to get some sleep. She sent a Howler to Fudge for making you work all those hours anyway, and he sent us a letter saying to take the next few weeks off to rest and come back refreshed and ready to take on more Death-Eaters." Hermione forced a chuckle.

Harry smiled, having seen one of Mrs. Weasley's Howlers before. It scared him, and it wasn't even directed at him! But he could hear, in Hermione's voice that something was wrong, even through the attempted light voice she used. He knew his wife better than that.

"So what's wrong?" asked Harry.

"N-nothing!", Hermione lied. "Why?"

"Mione, I can tell when something's bothering you. You are definately not yourself." he said.

Hermione's face broke. She realized that she couldn't hide anything from him. "Oh, Harry, I was just so scared when I saw you laying there so still. And even though Mrs. Weasley said you would be all right, I couldn't help feeling that...that you'd.." she trailed off as tears continued down her face.

Harry reached out to hold her. "Oh, darling. I'm okay. See? Hush, now, I'm fine." He gently kissed her lips, and wiped away the tears that stained her face. She kissed him back as her fingers tangled themselves in his messy hair. They fell back onto the bed. Harry realized he wasn't going anywhere for the rest of the night.
Jenni

Postby pinky p » Sunday 30 November 2003 2:37:32am

:razz: ooers... malfoy entangled with the death eaters... my my my!
pinky p

Postby Jenni » Sunday 21 March 2004 12:54:14am

"It's been so long since we've just spent time together," Hermione said, as they lay in bed, their legs entwined, strands of her long silky hair twirled around his fingers.

"Mmmm..." Harry said, lazily. "But I could go for a bite to eat right about now..."

Hermione bopped him, pretending to be shocked, when in all actuallity, her stomach was growling just as loudly as his was. He could hear it, giving truth to the lie. He grinned. They had indeed been there the rest of the night, and well into the next afternoon. As Hermione had said, it had been a long while since they had spent any quality time together. But now, the only thing he could think about was food.

He crawled out of bed, and pulled a shirt on over his head. Harry looked back at his wife. She looked so darned cute all curled up in a ball like she was, he thought. His stomach gave another great rumble. Food, right.

He walked out of their bedroom and into the kitchen. The downfall of having such a taxing job was the fact that neither he nor Hermione had much time to shop for food. He looked in the cupboard. Pickings were scarce. There was the package of Treacle Fudge that Hagrid had sent them for Christmas the previous year. He was so hungry, even that looked tempting. There was half a bag of Doritos (who knew how long those had been in there?), and a box of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans. At least the Bertie Bott's were unopened, he thought as he decided to use those to take the edge off of his hunger. It was then he heard the noise. Someone was in the living room. He reached for his wand that he never kept far away from his grasp, and silently crept toward the door that separated the kitchen from the living room. He had a curse on his tongue, hunger and jelly beans forgotten, and ready to spring into action, when at the last second, he heard a familiar voice say, "Blimey, Harry, I wondered when you'd come out of there, I've been waiting since noon!"

"Ron!" Harry cried, and rushed forward to give his brother in all but name a hug, patting him on the back. Just then, Hermione emerged wearing a pair of shorts and a baggy T-shirt of Harry's, and when she saw Ron standing there, she squealed and ran to him as well.

The three friends stood hugging each other for what seemed like hours. Finally, Harry pulling away, asked "What are you doing here? I thought you weren't due in until next week?"

Ron looked at Harry, exasperated. "Come on, Harry, you don't actually think I'd stay away once I heard about my new niece, do you?" He had picked up the box of Bertie's and was shoving them one by one into his mouth. "Besides, I had to make sure for meself that the baby had proper red hair, and not that blonde mess that her father has."

Harry, watching judiciously every jelly bean that Ron ate, nodded.

"I think she'll be beautiful, no matter what color hair she has. And a right good witch too, I'll wager." Hermione said.

"Of course she will... she's a Weasley, after all." Ron looked at Harry. "What?" He kept popping the candies into his mouth.

"So, how's Luna? Is she getting nervous about her book release?" Hermione asked.

"Uh, no, I think she's just fine with it all. But you know her, if the task seems impossible, she's---BLECK!!" Ron said, spitting out a mouthful of half chewed up candy. "I swear, I just ate a Dragon-Dung flavored one!"

Harry, who couldn't bring himself to feel sympathetic, burst out in rolling laughter. "Come on, you two, lets go find some lunch, and then I want to see this new niece of mine"

------------------------

They walked along Diagon Alley, looking for a place to eat. It felt so much like old times to Harry, that he just had to grin. They might have been shopping for school supplies. Here were the three of them, walking down the street in Diagon Alley, Ron and Hermione bickering as always. Nothing had changed there. But everything had changed.

He reached down and grabbed Hermione's hand. She squeezed his in return as she made an attempt to make Ron see the fact that she was right! He sighed through his grin, though it turned to a melancholy smile. He had bittersweet memories of his days at Hogwarts. Sometimes he longed for the days within it's hallowed walls and staircases that moved. Not that things were any easier back then, with Snape making his life a living mess, Filch and Mrs. Norris always on his case, not to mention Peeves...

Maybe it wasn't all that great.

But then he thought of Professor Dumbledore, and how no matter how bad things got, he was never truly worried with him around. And then there was big old Hagrid, who always had a word of encouragement for the trio. Not to mention Quidditch. Nothing beat the thrill of being on a fast broomstick, a hundred feet off the ground, trying to catch a glimpse of the golden snitch glittering in the sunlight, and knowing that if he caught it, it would mean sure victory for Gryffindor.

Maybe it was that great.

"What do you think, Harry? Harry? HARRY!"

He came out of his thoughts as Ron waved his hand in front of his face.

"Er...I...whatever Hermione said.." Harry stuttered.

Hermione rolled her eyes, and shook her head. "Honestly.."

The trio started laughing. It was indeed like old times.

After lunch, they apparated to the Burrow, where Ginny and Emily were. Draco said that he didn't dare spend any more time away from work, and suggested that Ginny stay with her mum and dad where they could help her look after the baby Emily.

As they appeared in the kitchen with a loud "crack", they noticed that the room was full of people. There was Luna, (who was waiting for Ron with a dreamy look on her face), Fred and George, Padma and Parvati, Ginny, and of course, Mrs. Weasley holding Emily.

"Well, look who's finally up and about! How are you dear?" she said, looking at Harry. He went forward to kiss her cheek.

"I've never felt better, thanks. So this is the little lady everyone's been talking about."

"Yes...Emily...would you like to hold her?" Mrs Weasley said, holding the baby out to him. Harry, who had never held a baby before, looked unsure, until Mrs. Weasley said, "It's okay, love, he's your Uncie Harry." Harry's heart melted. He took the tiny child in his arms and she looked up at him with blue, clear eyes.

"Wow." he said, quietly. "She's so...she's a little...person!" He smiled at Ginny, who giggled.

"Of course she is, you ninny! What did you expect her to be, a grindylow? Don't answer that.." Ginny said. Fred and Geroge snickered. She was, after all, Draco's child too.

Harry looked from Ginny, back to the baby in his arms. "It's just I've...never..." He looked at Hermione, who smiled back at him. This was almost as cool as riding his broomstick for the first time.

"Yeah, wait till she burps up on you. You'll love her then!" Fred said.

"Or you could change her diapers at three o clock in the morning, Uncie Harry-poo-poo." George joked.

Everyone in the room laughed, except for Harry, who just continued to marvel at the new life he held in his arms.
Jenni

Postby Ferrus » Sunday 21 March 2004 8:53:18pm

good stuff, continue posting the story!
Ferrus
Fully Qualified Wizard

Next

Return to Share your own Harry Potter Fan Fiction