James Potter and the Curse of the Werewolf (Maurader Year 2)

Are you a budding writer? If you have any ideas for Harry potter plots, share them here. Who knows, JK Rowling may take a look and use your ideas in her next book!

Moderators: DucksRMagical, Phoenix in the Ashes, Un'Anima Persa

James Potter and the Curse of the Werewolf (Maurader Year 2)

Postby highsorcerer » Monday 12 July 2004 6:01:22am

James Potter decided that Number Twelve, Grimmuald Place, was quite possibly the most depressing place he'd ever been in. Indeed, the only place he could imagine being anywhere close was the Slytherin common room. Door knockers were shaped like snakes, house-elf heads were mounted in the kitchen, and the tapestry with the family tree on it was selective enough to only include pure-bloods. In fact, family members who had married even half-bloods were stricken off it. So was the name of his best friend, Sirius Black.

Of course, Sirius was the reason he had come to this dreary place to begin with, and his family was the real reason the place was depression. After a full day of moving about the house underneath his invisibilty cloak, James realized his friend's living situation was, in fact, even more dreadful that Sirius reported. AFter they had left Hogwarts last summer, they had kept in touch via the two-way mirrors Sirius had received as a present from one of his relatives (before being treated like vermin in his own home). Finally, on this last day of July, James couldn't take it anymore and set off to pay a visit to his friend. He resolved if things were as bad as Sirius said they were, then Sirius wouldn't spend another minute in his parent's house.

James pretty much winced as he watched his friend be berated by his mother during their dinner, as winced even harder when Sirius's brother appeared to be smirking during the tirade. Finally, Sirius escaped from the meal and went to his room. James quietly followed him, then looked with amusement as Sirius opened up a drawer and took out a mirror. "James Potter," whispered Sirius. Nothing happened. The second mirror was back in James' room back in Godric Hollow. "James Potter," said Sirius again, this time a little louder.

It was time to announce himself. James took off his invisibility cloak and quietly said "I'm here."

Sirius frowned at the mirror, then suddenly looked up. "I'm here mate," said James.

"James!" exclaimed Sirius. "Did you learn to apparate?"

"Don't you need to pass a test and get a licence for that?" asked James.

Sirius grinned. "Since when did you live by the rules? Besides, I see your invisibility cloak now."

"Well, get your trunk packed, because we're leaving here tonight. My parents said you could stay with me for the rest of the summer. As for your parents..." James suddenly went silent.

"I hope you didn't witness too much," said Sirius, even as he got up to start packing.

"I saw enough," replied James. He got up to help Sirius pack.

"How are we getting to your place?" asked Sirius.

"Floo powder," said James. "I brought some with me."

"By the way, how did you get here?" asked Sirius.

James grinned. "I flew," he said. "A Comet 12-B racing broom. I got it for my birthday last month." James pulled it out from where he had concealed it underneath Sirius's bed. "I'm going to make the house Quidditch team this year."

The two boys waited until Sirius's parents and brother had gone to bed, then went down the stairs to the kitchen where the fireplace was located. Sirius left a note on the kitchen table explaining he'd left to spend the rest of the summer with James, then they used the floo powder to escape the dreadful house.
highsorcerer
Department of Mysteries Unspeakable and Registered Animagus (Parrot)

Postby emus » Friday 30 July 2004 3:32:17pm

this is great. i love it! :-)
emus
Fourth Year

Postby highsorcerer » Friday 6 August 2004 5:57:32am

I've gotten enough respond (positve) that I will continue this story.

I really believe James Potter and his friends experienced the rise to power of Lord Voldemort, and most of them worked to curtail the power. I absolutley believe James Potter and his friends had their own adventures at Hogwarts, worthy of a tale or 7.
highsorcerer

Postby highsorcerer » Friday 6 August 2004 6:08:07am

It was probably the best summer James Potter had. It was certainly the best summer of Sirius Black's summer. Since their escape from #12 Grimmuld Place, the boys spent their days having fun together. Mostly it was spent practicing Quidditch. James Potter was determined to win a place on the Quidditch team. Sirius also hoped to win a place, but also felt he owed a debt of thanks to James fot getting him away from his house. He silently vowed to someday the debt James had given him. He just didn't know how.

Indeed, the boys had their most fun when practicing with Peter Pettigrew, who lived near James. Mostly they had Peter play keeper while Sirius and James charged the goal, and Sirius realized James had some real talent.

James and Sirius sent the second mirror (of the two-way mirror set) to Remus Lupin. They talked quite a bit, sometimes at length, but never got a promise from him to join them on the Hogwart's express. Remus was vauge in his reason, only stating that his mother was sick. Sirius noted that Remus had told them the same thing last year.

Indeed, it soon came to the end of summer, and book lists, letters from Hogwart's, and the time of the Hogwart's express was sent via owl post. Dumbledore obviously knew Sirius Black was staying with James and sent the owl there. James and his parents looked a bit embarassed.

In any case, they all made a trip to Diagon Alley the day before school. Sirius told the Potter's that his uncle had left him some money, a truth he didn't want to get into. He eventually emerged from Gringott's with a bad, and they proceeded to buy spellbooks, supplies, and tickets for the Hogwarts Express.

It seemed like fun to the two wizards in training
highsorcerer

Postby emus » Friday 6 August 2004 4:07:34pm

very very good!
emus
Fourth Year

Postby highsorcerer » Friday 13 August 2004 5:56:18am

Remus, unfortuantely, did not join the three boys on the Hogwart's express. A last minute letter by owl related the circumstances - Remus's mother had taken a turn for the worse. She might recover, or might not. In any case, He'd know within 24 hours if the healers could do anything.

The boys played exploding snap on the train, and bought a load of treats from the witch who came by with the trolly. They discussed the events of last year. Peter was quite apologic about not having realized the signifigance of the normal book in the restricted section - and even more so for not realizing it was the text the boys were looking for - the spellbook of Salazar Slytherin.

"Parseltounge as a written language... why didn't I see it," exclaimed James. "All the clues were there - he is the most famous parseltounge in history. He didn't need a code - he spoke a language few spoke. He just transcribed it."

Sirius tried to console him. "James, I think wizards for centuries have known the puzzle - but nobody put the pieces together. It was so obvious it was overlooked. Even Dumbledore didn't figure it all out, and he's the one who fought Grindlewald in the first place. He didn't put together WHY he came to Hogwarts - or the secret of the spellbook or he'd have confiscated it himself. He was looking too hard for reason."

As the castle drew closer, though, James was increasingly perturbed about his failure in the previous year. It wasn't enough that he had put together the pieces of a mystery that was centuries old - he still wanted to have beaten the mysterious man with the snake who had put all the pieces together before him.

When the Hogwart's Express drew to a stop, he grabbed his trunk, and moved with his friends to horseless carriages the school had provided. He watched as the gameskeeper, the huge man named Hagrid called the first years over to the boats, and was a bit grateful he didn't have to cross the lake this year. The water was a bit turbulant, and while he knew a potion to combat seasickness now, he didn't last year.

The ride to the castle was uneventful, and he left his baggage at the door, confident it would be placed in the right dorm before the opening feast was over. Indeed, the sweets he had enjoyed on the train seemed quite distant as he took his spot at the table, next to his friends, and awaited the meal. However, the sorting ceremony was first. Professor McGonnagal put the sorting hat on the stool, and it burst into song.

"Magic is like science,
Used for good or ill,
It depends upon the wizard
Or witch who bends it's will

The wand may choose it's user,
But it can't predict it' fate,
And I now sense for one,
The corruption is too great

Among the poeple gathered,
A choice will soon be clear,
The people may choose courage,
Or they may give in to fear

To Slytherin house I ask,
To purge evil from within,
For darkness can't continue
Except for compliant men

To Raveclaw I urge,
To use the brains to fight
Evil which could destroy the school
Or set the world to right

In Hufflepuff, I urge those in,
To be friends pure and true,
Friends will help you in a quest
To a great evil undo

To Grffyndor, I give the task
To fight evil without fear,
You must speak ant act against the one,
Whose darkness will appear

But even taken, my advice
Is just a battle won,
With best efforts, and a sacrifrice,
The war may be upon a son.

It's without joy, I tell to you,
I see an awful horror
I cannot see, a path for all
A world without war,

For those of you who matter,
Do not neglect the fight
Never give up your ideals
Of what is wrong or right

And for those of you so tempted
Away from the righteous path
Remember those that were your friends
Will then have righteous wraith.

Remember those with mercy,
Are those who upgold good,
And act as they believe
Their kind fathers would"

Needless to say, the Great Hall was stunned into silence by the song.

But James Potter wondered a great deal about just how perceptive the hat was.
highsorcerer

Postby highsorcerer » Friday 13 August 2004 5:56:42am

Remus, unfortuantely, did not join the three boys on the Hogwart's express. A last minute letter by owl related the circumstances - Remus's mother had taken a turn for the worse. She might recover, or might not. In any case, He'd know within 24 hours if the healers could do anything.

The boys played exploding snap on the train, and bought a load of treats from the witch who came by with the trolly. They discussed the events of last year. Peter was quite apologic about not having realized the signifigance of the normal book in the restricted section - and even more so for not realizing it was the text the boys were looking for - the spellbook of Salazar Slytherin.

"Parseltounge as a written language... why didn't I see it," exclaimed James. "All the clues were there - he is the most famous parseltounge in history. He didn't need a code - he spoke a language few spoke. He just transcribed it."

Sirius tried to console him. "James, I think wizards for centuries have known the puzzle - but nobody put the pieces together. It was so obvious it was overlooked. Even Dumbledore didn't figure it all out, and he's the one who fought Grindlewald in the first place. He didn't put together WHY he came to Hogwarts - or the secret of the spellbook or he'd have confiscated it himself. He was looking too hard for reason."

As the castle drew closer, though, James was increasingly perturbed about his failure in the previous year. It wasn't enough that he had put together the pieces of a mystery that was centuries old - he still wanted to have beaten the mysterious man with the snake who had put all the pieces together before him.

When the Hogwart's Express drew to a stop, he grabbed his trunk, and moved with his friends to horseless carriages the school had provided. He watched as the gameskeeper, the huge man named Hagrid called the first years over to the boats, and was a bit grateful he didn't have to cross the lake this year. The water was a bit turbulant, and while he knew a potion to combat seasickness now, he didn't last year.

The ride to the castle was uneventful, and he left his baggage at the door, confident it would be placed in the right dorm before the opening feast was over. Indeed, the sweets he had enjoyed on the train seemed quite distant as he took his spot at the table, next to his friends, and awaited the meal. However, the sorting ceremony was first. Professor McGonnagal put the sorting hat on the stool, and it burst into song.

"Magic is like science,
Used for good or ill,
It depends upon the wizard
Or witch who bends it's will

The wand may choose it's user,
But it can't predict it' fate,
And I now sense for one,
The corruption is too great

Among the poeple gathered,
A choice will soon be clear,
The people may choose courage,
Or they may give in to fear

To Slytherin house I ask,
To purge evil from within,
For darkness can't continue
Except for compliant men

To Raveclaw I urge,
To use the brains to fight
Evil which could destroy the school
Or set the world to right

In Hufflepuff, I urge those in,
To be friends pure and true,
Friends will help you in a quest
To a great evil undo

To Grffyndor, I give the task
To fight evil without fear,
You must speak ant act against the one,
Whose darkness will appear

But even taken, my advice
Is just a battle won,
With best efforts, and a sacrifrice,
The war may be upon a son.

It's without joy, I tell to you,
I see an awful horror
I cannot see, a path for all
A world without war,

For those of you who matter,
Do not neglect the fight
Never give up your ideals
Of what is wrong or right

And for those of you so tempted
Away from the righteous path
Remember those that were your friends
Will then have righteous wraith.

Remember those with mercy,
Are those who upgold good,
And act as they believe
Their kind fathers would"

Needless to say, the Great Hall was stunned into silence by the song.

But James Potter wondered a great deal about just how perceptive the hat was.
highsorcerer

Postby emus » Sunday 15 August 2004 1:12:03am

ummm... its very good but why did you post the same thing twice? :???:
emus
Fourth Year

Postby highsorcerer » Wednesday 18 August 2004 8:31:22am

I clicked on the submit button twice.

On with the tale.
highsorcerer

Postby highsorcerer » Wednesday 18 August 2004 8:53:08am

The opening feast was subdued, to say the least. The houses murmered among themselves what the hat might have meant with it's song. James Potter was as perplexed as the next person - until he asked the house ghost, Nearly-Headless Nick.

The ghost was normally talkative, and helpful, but tonight he seemed worried. "The sorting hat is MORE than just a hat that sorts," he told James. "It has more powers that than. I'm not sure if it has the gift of prophecy, or just that of the insight of countless headmasters - the portraits in Dumbledore's office."

Defeated without any new information, the boys ate up at the feast, and James glanced at Dumbledore several times. He only noted that the aged wizard looked worried. It made him uncomfortable, so James made an effort to talk to his friends, or just glance at the enchanted ceiling. The full moon was a constant which gazed back at him.

The heavy food took it's toll on James, and with his friends, they made their way up to the Gyffindor Hall. Sirius was the first to notice that the sign to their dormatory had changed from first years to second years. Exhausted by the feast and the day, James, Sirius, and Peter all crawled into their beds. Just before he fell asleep, James pondered on the empty bunk, and wondered about Remus Lupin.

He got up early the next morning, and changed into his robes. Along with Peter and Sirius, they went to breakfast, and then to their first class of the term - Defense Against the Dark Arts. Their teacher was a visiting professor from somewhere in China, Professor Wang. She. explained the term would be devoted to the most common types of dark creatures and curses, building upon their first-year studies of how dark magic worked. Their focus was recognition and basic countering of dark magic.

Neither Sirius or James paid much attention in class. Both had read the texbook, and both felt capable of repelling basic dark magic (and indentifying dark creatures). Peter was more attentive, though it must be said he didn't have his friend's talent.

At lunch, they had a welcome surprise. Remus Lupin had arrived, and had good news. "My mother is much better. A healer from Devon arrived and applied a new technique. She's not cured, but her condition has improved. I took the Knight Bus to Hogwarts this morning."

The four boys eat up their lunch, with Sirius and James filling in on the DADA class Remus had missed. Happily, the four boys made their way to double transfiguration, taught by McGonnagal. However, when they arrived and took their seats, the stern witch was nowhere to be seen. Instead, a cat was curled up on her desk.

As the clock struck the hour, the cat moved. It jumped onto the chair behind the desk, then transformed into Professor McGonnagal.

It was an impressive bit of magic. James and Sirius shot to attention immediately, anxious to learn the spells that would allow them to pull off such a stunt. Peter look worried, as if he didn't know if he ever do such a thing. Remus, surprisingly, looked decidedly unhappy.
highsorcerer

Postby emus » Friday 3 September 2004 9:49:05pm

very good very good :-)
emus
Fourth Year

Postby highsorcerer » Sunday 5 September 2004 6:26:53am

After class, James and Sirius talked non-stop about human to animal transformations. Both thought it was an exteremely cool and impressive bit of magic. Sirius made a joke about surprising McGonagall - he would figure out how to turn into a dog, and then chase her cat form around the school. James thought it was a great idea.

The afternoon brought herbology with the Slytherins. The subject was Mandrake root. The class had to pair up, and changing the pots in which some seedlings were growing. Sirius lazily answered the question about what Mandrake root was good at, then paired up with James as they put on the earmuffs. Remus and Peter grouped up, as did Severus Snape with a Slytherin girl James vaguely knew as Bellatrix. After repotting, the class was over. The four boys went to the Gryffindor common room, visited the bathroom, and showered up. The dirt had worked their way everywhere it seemed.

They four boys ate dinner together, but James seemed distracted.

Finally, Remus asked the question. "What's wrong with you James?"

"Well, it's Quidditch tryouts. They are tonight. I mean, first years never make the house teams, but with so many of Gryffindor's team graduating last year, I hope I have a chance. I've been practicing all summer. I got me mum to bewitch objects and fly at me like Bludgers, and defend a goal like a keeper, but it's just not the same."

"What position are you going for?" asked Remus.

"Chaser," said James. "I love going on offense. I mean, it's better than a great defense any day. Plus, there are three slots open - better odds than trying for the open keeper or beater slot."

James didn't end up eating very much, and when he reached the Quidditch pitch to try out, he found he wasn't alone. No matter how much or little his friends thought of his chances of making the team, they all supported him. Indeed, they all signed up to try out - Sirius as a chaser, Peter as a beater, and Remus as a keeper.

James was up first, and participated in a few attack formations, throwing the Quaffle back and forth, and then finally trying to develop the best strategy for getting it past the keeper and enemy chasers through the goals. Once he ran through the first few tests, he knew he was definately in the running. When Sirius was asked to try out, and James was asked to be a part of the enemy chaser team to prevent him from scoring, he went all out. By the time the evening's tryouts were over, James knew he had made the team. Beater and keeper tryouts were later. He resolved to loan his friends his broomstick in the hopes they could make the team as well.
highsorcerer

Postby highsorcerer » Friday 10 September 2004 6:03:38am

James could hardly concentrate on his classes the next day. His mind kept wandering as he dreamed of the Quidditch games to come. He went over formation after formation in his mind. He was going to be a Quidditch player. He even wondered if it would lead to greater things in the future. He could almost see himself playing for England someday.

The day wore on, and once classes were finished for the day, he grabbed his broomstick and went out for the Quidditch tryouts after dinner. Remus was up for playing keeper, and Peter for beater. However, once the tryouts started, he immediately realized Peter wasn't going to make the team. He flew poorly, and was almost as likely to hit himself with the bat than the bludger. On the few times he did hit the bludger, more often than not he hit it at a friendly player instead of an enemy.

Lupin, however, was pretty good at playing keeper. He had an instinct for which goal the chasers were going to attack, and an uncanny feel for when they were passing instead of shooting. If there was a fault in his game, it was that he was a bit unsteady on his broomstick. Still, James left the tryouts feeling there was a decent chance that Lupin might make the team.

James was on edge all week. He attended classes, breezed through the homework, and spent every spare minute he had flying on his broomstick. A few times he was tempted to sneak out after hours under his invisibility cloak, but kept reminding himself that he couldn't fly with it on, and even with a waning moon, it was still light enough for a curious teacher to look out the window, and see him flying in the Quidditch pitch.

At the end of the week, a notice appeared on the Gryffindor common room bulletin board. James had made the team. Sirius and Peter hadn't. Remus Lupin didn't make the team either - but he was selected as the Gryffindor reserve keeper. James was overjoyed. He went over the training schedule and noted the times in his journal. Sirius and Peter congratulated him on making the team, but Remus look unhappy for some reason.

"You made the team; I mean, reserve is great for second year. Besides, Kingsley Shacklebolt is a 6th year - he'll be out in a few years and you'll be ready to make the first squad by then," said James.

Remus shook his head. "I'm not playing. Even on first team, I couldn't do it. I'm going to turn in my resignation immediately so they can find another reserve team member."

"Why?" asked James. "I mean, wouldn't it be great to be out flying together on practice... and you're good."

"I just can't," replied Lupin, with a sad look on his face. "I'm sorry, I just can't."

Lupin refused to say another word on the subject. James worried for his friend, but strangely found himself completely distracted by the person named as his replacement as reserve keeper, a pretty girl James knew as Lily Evans. She was a second year as well, with red hair and green eyes. She didn't talk much about her background.

Their first practice took place shortly after dinner, while the sun was still up. As a chaser, James was assigned the right wing position. They went through basic drills during their first training session, working on passing, formations, and attacks on the goals at first. Elsewhere the reserve chasers gave some practice to the keeper, and the beater worked at directing bludgers towards different targets. Darting between all these events was the Gryffindor seeker, who was busy chasing the snitch between the events on both sides of the field. It was hard work, but as the full moon rose in the background, James felt they had made a huge start towards becoming the team to beat for the house cup.
highsorcerer

Postby highsorcerer » Sunday 12 September 2004 4:29:14am

James was eager to share the details of his first practice with his friends, but when he got to the common room, only Peter and Sirius were there. The only word of explantion Remus had given was that he was feeling ill, and had left for the hospital wing. Professor McGonnagall had come shortly afterwards and said he would be there for a few days. She didn't give an explanation, but warned them to be more careful of their potion homework in the future.

Still, James related to Peter and Sirius the details of the practice session until it was time for bed. The boys retreated to their dorm, but James found it hard to sleep. Too often his mind was on the quidditch practice. Finally, at about 1:00 a.m., he looked over at his trunk. He debated one way and another, then decided that Remus must be bored still in the hospital wing without his friends. He got up, opened up his trunk, and put on his invisibility cloak.

He made his way through the corridors, on the lookout for any teachers he might encounter. He nearly collided with Professor Wang at one point, who seemed to be in hurry to get somewhere. He also came across a group of house elves who were cheerfully mopping the floors. Shortly before he reached the hospital wing, he ducked out the way for another out-of-bounds student, a Slytherin boy he knew vaugely as Barty Crouch, Jr. James wondered what brough him out of bed, and wished he had a better way of learning the whereabouts of people in the castle. Combined with his invisibility cloak, he would never get caught wandering the castle.

Finally he reached the hospital wing. He let himself in, and made his way to the beds.

They were empty.

Curious, he looked around. Every bed was freshly made, with fresh sheets and blankets. There was no sign that Remus had ever been in the wing. So where was he? Cursing under his breath, James again wondered about a way he might be able to locate people. If he had known Remus had been moved (perhaps to St. Mungos?) he wouldn't have risked sneaking out.

He was about to leave the hospital wing when he heard an eerie howl from the castle grounds. That was common enough, but what came after it was not - a hair raising scream. It was loud - almost unnaturally loud. Howl and scream were simultaneous now. Time to leave. He snuck his way to the door, and was making his way back across the castle when he realized he wasn't the only person to hear the scream. At least three teachers were in dressing gowns and making their way in a hurry towards the castle entrance. Dumbledore, Flitwick, and McGonnagall were racing towards the grounds. However, before they got there, Hagrid, the gamekeeper burst through carrying the limp form of Professor Wang. She had a huge bite on her left arm, and was bleeding.

"I heard the noise and traced it to the clearing by the hollow tree Professor!" shouted Hagrid. "That's where I found Professor Wang. No sign of the creature who did this." The big man raced towards the hospital wing, still carrying the limp DADA teacher. James had to scurry back to get out of the way.

Flitwick and McGonngall were about to follow Hagrid, when Dumbledore held them back. "Warwick, I will need you to investigate the location of the attack. I trust you know where it is?" The diminutive teacher nodded. "Good, let me know what you've found. Minvera, I need to you to check on our location in Hogsmeade. We need to know one way or another."

Professor McGonnagall nodded, her face as white as James had ever seen it. Dumbledore looked around, frowned, then hurried off towards the hospital wing. James, fearing he had pushed his luck too far, made his way back to the dormitory. Unfortunately, when he opened up the common room door, he found it full of people milling about. The scream must have been pretty loud. He noticed the Evans girl staring at the door when he entered, but ducked down behind Peter and Sirius. He brushed past them, and went up to the dorm. He pulled off his cloak, only to find his friends had followed him up the stairs.

"The door doesn't open on it's own James," said Sirius. "And you weren't in the room. What happened?"

"I just went to visit Remus," said James. "He wasn't in the hospital wing though. Then I heard the howl and the scream. I was making my way back here when the gamekeeper, Hagrid, rushed into the hospital with Professor Wang."

James went on to describe what he saw.

"Too bad Lupin isn't in the hospital wing," said Peter. "He could give us the details of what went on in there."

James, however, was thinking about something else. He looked out the window, then grabbed his notes from astronomy class.

"What are you doing, studying, now?" asked Peter.

"No," replied James. "It's just an idea... a weird one at that. Something my notes should help settle."

However, James didn't look very settled at all as he reviewed his notes for the past year.
highsorcerer

Postby emus » Monday 13 September 2004 4:27:08pm

i love it! :D
emus
Fourth Year

Next

Return to Share your own Harry Potter Fan Fiction