Recommended Movies

Meet everyone here in The Great Hall for general discussions. Here you'll find a friendly place to talk about all things under the magnificent magical ceiling...even stuff not connected with Harry Potter!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, DucksRMagical, Broccoli, Run Away!!!, Phoenix in the Ashes

Recommended Movies

Postby Hermione » Friday 27 June 2003 3:33:39am

I'm sure a thread like this has been started before, but I figure, what the hey, I'll just start another one. If anybody really minds, though, I guess we can always ask Paul to delete this ;)

Anyway, this thread is for movies that you recommend. Here are mine:

Sense and Sensibility
-This is a movie based on Jane Austen's novel by the same name. It centers around two sisters, Marianne and Elinor Dashwood (Marianne played by Kate Winslet, Elinor played by Emma Thompson) and, essentially, their love-lives, which are, of course, complicated by societal values, etc., etc., etc. Their suitors are played by Greg Wise (I think), Hugh Grant, and Alan Rickman (You know, the one who plays Professor Snape- he has a REALLY yummy voice). It's directed by Ahn Lee- the guy who directed Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It's really good!

A Beautiful Mind
-I'm sure everybody knows the plot to this one. This movie centers around the life of a schizophrenic mathematician- well, I think he's a mathematician, I'm not sure . . . named John Nash, played excellently by Russell Crowe. Alicia Nash, of course, is played by Jennifer Connelly.

Because of You
This is an independent film, which means that you probably won't be able to find it very easily. It stars umm . . . Carlos Osorio and Saki Takaoka, who won 9 Best Actress awards in Japan. Basically, the plot is that Kyoko, a young woman, goes to New York in search of an American GI who taught her Latin dances when she was a little girl. Unfortunately, she finds that he's terminally ill (with AIDS) and that he can't remember her. The movie chronicles their journey together.

Not One Less
This is also an independent movie. It's in Chinese though, so if you don't like subtitled movies, don't watch it. However, it's quite excellent. It's about a girl in middle school who winds up as substitute teacher for a school in her village. The real teacher leaves her with one instruction- she must keep the class intact if she wants to be paid. This is a problem because the village is so poor that a lot of the students have to leave to find work so they can help pay back their parents' debts. So, this movie is essentially about how the substitute teacher manages her class, how she keeps it intact without letting any of the students go, etc., etc., etc.

I'm sure I'll think of more . . . it's your turn now! :razz:
Hermione
Hogwarts Librarian and Resident Muse

Postby Hermione » Friday 27 June 2003 3:41:06am

Oops . . . I didn't mean to post twice . . . I've already asked Paul to delete the repeat for me . . .

:oops:
Hermione
Hogwarts Librarian and Resident Muse

Postby azn wizard » Friday 27 June 2003 6:27:12am

oh....i already posted on the other thread....but anywayz....i say u go watch Finding Nemo!! very very cool!!!
azn wizard
Keeper Of The Moons

Postby choki » Saturday 28 June 2003 10:11:40am

Finding Nemo is definitely one of the best (i laughed throughout the whole movie)
choki
Gryffindor Prefect and Silent Guardian Of Stars

Postby Charis » Saturday 28 June 2003 7:43:15pm

I would definitley reccomend Catch me if you can... and no, not because of Leo Di but it was a really good movie... i find the story of frank abignale jr incredibly intriguing.

hmm... aside from the movies probably everyone here has seen like HP movies (duh!!!!) and both LOTR movies i can't really think of any more.
Charis
Lady of the Lake

Postby Lizzy Bennet » Saturday 28 June 2003 8:24:18pm

Ok, I'm an adult :razz: , and I'm going to admit to having bought the DVD of "Beauty and the Beast" (the Disney cartoon) after having seen "Beauty and the Beast" as a broadway musical a little over a week ago! :grin: I love my DVD! :D

"Beauty and the Beast" came out around a time that Disney was making some wonderful cartoons...cartoons that any age could enjoy. :) I was particularly impressed that not only has "Beauty and the Beast" been made into a musical, but it was also the first animated movie (I believe) to have won awards. :D I think it's a wonderful story about seeing beyond the surface of people and giving people a real chance. :D Surely, I'm not the only fan?? :???:
Lizzy Bennet
Angel of Music and Giver of Hugs

Postby Scellanis » Saturday 28 June 2003 8:30:06pm

hehehe...movies.....

i would recomend X-men 1 cos i just got it today on DVD
then also
Lord of the Rings ~ FotR
Scooby Doo
Tomb Raider
A Knight's Tale
Final Fantasy ~ The Spirits Within
Star Wars episode I and II
Scellanis
Hufflepuff Prefect

Location: Pretending to be a sea slug with 'go faster' stripes...

Postby gecko » Saturday 28 June 2003 8:46:24pm

I'd recommend

Gattaca
A great movie about the effects of genetic engineering and how it affects society. With Ethan Hawke en Jude Law (played Commodus in Gladiotor). Haven't seen any movie like this.

and I also liked:
The Big Lebowski
Metropolis
Bowling For Columbine
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
gecko
Supreme Mugwump, Walker of Walls and Receiver of Won's Smooches

Postby Charis » Sunday 29 June 2003 9:23:01pm

Lizzy Bennet wrote:Ok, I'm an adult :razz: , and I'm going to admit to having bought the DVD of "Beauty and the Beast" (the Disney cartoon) after having seen "Beauty and the Beast" as a broadway musical a little over a week ago! :grin: I love my DVD! :D

"Beauty and the Beast" came out around a time that Disney was making some wonderful cartoons...cartoons that any age could enjoy. :) I was particularly impressed that not only has "Beauty and the Beast" been made into a musical, but it was also the first animated movie (I believe) to have won awards. :D I think it's a wonderful story about seeing beyond the surface of people and giving people a real chance. :D Surely, I'm not the only fan?? :???:

you sound just like my older sister! beauty and the beast has to be her favorite movie. i like it too....but...id have to say i loved Lion King better! i still cry when i watch mufasa's death!! :oops: :grin: hehe
Charis
Lady of the Lake

Postby Lizzy Bennet » Sunday 29 June 2003 9:41:12pm

Charis wrote:
Lizzy Bennet wrote:Ok, I'm an adult :razz: , and I'm going to admit to having bought the DVD of "Beauty and the Beast" (the Disney cartoon) after having seen "Beauty and the Beast" as a broadway musical a little over a week ago! :grin: I love my DVD! :D

you sound just like my older sister! beauty and the beast has to be her favorite movie. i like it too....but...id have to say i loved Lion King better! i still cry when i watch mufasa's death!! :oops: :grin: hehe

I hope sounding like your older sister isn't a bad thing...you two get along, right? :razz: :D "Beauty and the Beast" is a great movie...my second favorite Disney cartoon would probably be (off the top of my head) "The Little Mermaid". :grin:
Lizzy Bennet

Postby gecko » Sunday 29 June 2003 9:45:50pm

Tarzan was a great one too! Especially with the songs by Phil Collins. And that cute little elephant!
gecko
Supreme Mugwump, Walker of Walls and Receiver of Won's Smooches

Postby Charis » Sunday 29 June 2003 9:50:18pm

oh, me and my sister get along.....when she's away at college. :razz: nah...we're seven yrs apart so its easier to get along than if she was only a couple of years older than me. its a good thing, dont worry! of course, maybe u shouldn't sound like her allll the time..that might be a bit too much! :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :grin:
Charis
Lady of the Lake

Postby Charis » Monday 30 June 2003 4:47:22pm

(that post was directed at lizzy...gecko just posted before i did. :D )
Charis
Lady of the Lake

Postby Gryffindor Student » Monday 30 June 2003 7:37:57pm

i suggest....
A Knight's Tale
Sleepy Hollow (the one directed by Tim Burton not the stupid cartoon)
Interview with a Vampire
Queen of the Damned
Lord of the Rings. Both of them
Any Adam Sandler movie. (Billy Madison, Big Daddy, Waterboy..etc....)
Pet Cemitary
Titan A.E.
The Exorsits
Ghostbusters
Anime!
Maybe more i just cant think of it right now...NO DISNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :evil:
Gryffindor Student
Fully Qualified Elf Witch

Postby Lizzy Bennet » Monday 30 June 2003 7:54:44pm

Gryffindor Student wrote:i suggest....
A Knight's Tale
Sleepy Hollow (the one directed by Tim Burton not the stupid cartoon)
Interview with a Vampire
Queen of the d*mned
Lord of the Rings. Both of them
Any Adam Sandler movie. (Billy Madison, Big Daddy, Waterboy..etc....)
Pet Cemitary
Titan A.E.
The Exorsits
Ghostbusters
Anime!
Maybe more i just cant think of it right now...NO DISNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :evil:

No Disney, eh? To each their own...that's my policy...if you don't like it, simply don't watch it. :-)

~ Lizzy :D
Lizzy Bennet

Next

Return to The Great Hall