Getting Sorted (for all members not yet in a House!!)

A place for the new folks. If you've just joined, or spotted a new member, why not say hello here.

Moderators: Scellanis, DucksRMagical

Getting Sorted (for all members not yet in a House!!)

Postby Lizzy Bennet » Friday 27 June 2003 11:06:44pm

Since this keeps cropping up, I thought I'd start this thread in the hopes that it'll help all the members who have not yet been sorted into a house understand how the process works and what to do. :grin: Hopefully, this will cut down on confusion! :D

When you have reached 25 posts you can be sorted into a house (Gryffndor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, or Slytherin) on this forum. To do this you can choose to do one or more of the following:

If you *do* know which House you want to be in you can...

~ put in a request via 'usergroups' (at the top of your screen) in the House you wish to be sorted in...the next time any prefect from that House comes online, they'll have a message in their e-mail inbox saying someone is waiting to be sorted and they will sort you

~ put a request for a house on 'The Sorting Hat' thread in 'The Sorting Hat' section of this forum, and whoever sees it first when they next come online--either Paul (the Forum Admin.) or one of the house prefects of the house you chose--will sort you into your chosen house

~ PM one of the House Prefects (also the mods for the house), and the next time he/she comes online, he/she will sort you...do know, prefects, like other people go on vacations, get busy, etc., so you may want to use this method and another, to be safe

If you do *not* know which House you wish to be in you can...

~ either PM Paul (the Forum Admin.) or leave him a note on 'The Sorting Hat' thread in 'The Sorting Hat' section asking him to let the 'Sorting Hat' sort you into the House it thinks you'd best fit into...I used this method because I was struggling to decide (all the houses are great!! :grin: ), and it really worked for me :D

Remember, if you use one or more of these methods, and do not get instant results, give Paul and/or the Prefects a chance (as well as the House of your choice!!) to be online to *see* your request...it's disappointing when, as a prefect, you sign online only to see that someone gave up on your house simply because they didn't get sorted quickly enough. We will sort you as soon as we can! :grin: But, like you, we aren't online all the time, so please be patient. :D Hope that helps all the non-sorted people know what to do...if you ever have any questions, do not hesitate to PM a prefect and ask...we're here to help! :angel:

Also, you may only choose one house so choose carefully.

Best wishes and have fun! :D All the houses ROCK! :grin:

~ Lizzy :jump:
Lizzy Bennet
Angel of Music and Giver of Hugs

Postby Scellanis » Wednesday 2 July 2003 1:05:40pm

ok, a little about the houses and who to pm....

1. Gryffindor

You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

Gryffindor prefects are: choki, Gwared and Phaerie or if you prefer you can ask Paul to sort you into Gryffindor.

2. Hufflepuff

You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;

Hufflepuff prefects are: Scellanis, Sacred Guardian, Ju-DedoH and Nobby or if you prefer you can ask Paul to sort you into Hufflepuff.

3. Ravenclaw

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

Ravenclaw prefects are: Meg Boyd and pinky p or if you prefer you can ask Paul to sort you into Ravenclaw.

4. Slytherin

Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means
To achieve their ends.

Slytherin prefects are: Broccoli, Deedra Malfoy, Mint, Phinea Rogue and paintballdecoy or if you prefer you can ask Paul to sort you into Slytherin.

(The Sorting Hat song came from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone)

Edit: Updated on the 4th November
Last edited by Scellanis on Thursday 4 November 2004 6:40:47pm, edited 3 times in total.
Scellanis
Hufflepuff Prefect

Location: Pretending to be a sea slug with 'go faster' stripes...

Can I be in Gryffindor

Postby Flamethrower » Monday 7 July 2003 7:37:35pm

I`ll tryout for Gryffindor since it`s the best house ever and Harry Potter,my cousin is in it,well vhe`s my younger cousin,and I`ve been away fighting traninig and using my magical powers to defeat intergalatic scums from destroying England and the Earth,I come from thew United States,and I live in Chiacgo Illinois,my girlfriend,Charley Davidson wants to be a Gryffindor too,so can she join too ???????????

:golden snitch:
Flamethrower
Muggle

Postby Lizzy Bennet » Wednesday 16 July 2003 10:37:56pm

Also, just so you know, if you're having trouble choosing a house or you are simply curious, you can go to 'usergroups' (which is at the top of your screen [regardless of where you are in the forum]) and click on it. There, you can see which sorted members are in which house, if you find you like certain members' posts. :grin: You can tell which prefects are in which house, but this lets you see all of members of each house! Also, it's neat to see who belongs where, whether you are already sorted or not! :D

~ Lizzy :angel:
Lizzy Bennet
Angel of Music and Giver of Hugs

Postby Guest » Thursday 31 July 2003 10:05:20pm

I belong in Gryffindor House because I am brave and bold. 8)

Postby gecko » Friday 1 August 2003 9:26:46am

Well, guest, if you come back here again, then you should register yourself, otherwise you can't be sorted. I hope you decide to join, and that you'll have a great time on the board and in Gryffindor!
gecko
Supreme Mugwump, Walker of Walls and Receiver of Won's Smooches

Postby emus » Saturday 18 September 2004 10:16:58pm

how many posts do you have to have before you can be sorted?
emus
Fourth Year

Postby Gwared » Sunday 19 September 2004 2:33:14pm

emus_rock11 wrote:how many posts do you have to have before you can be sorted?

25...but you already knew that :D
Gwared
Gryffindor Prefect, Landlord of the Three Broomsticks and Common Welsh Green Dragon Keeper

Postby lydia_the_snitch » Sunday 7 November 2004 11:20:45pm

ravenclaw....i wouldn't fit for bravery, and i'm not evil or going to exactly be evil....
lydia_the_snitch
Second Year

Postby Broccoli » Monday 8 November 2004 10:17:37am

Lydia, you can go here to get sorted. You need 25 posts for this.
Broccoli
Slytherin Prefect, Healer at St Mungo's and Slytherin Chaser

Postby Tanuki » Tuesday 11 January 2005 9:33:54pm

I just started, so I think I'll let them decide where I belong. Especially a harsh guy like me
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

hello

Postby hermione_granger_1993 » Friday 11 March 2005 11:06:00pm

Everyone says im a spamer. But the truth is not really i am not trying to spam and i have more than 30 posts , and the fact of that saying that im at hogwarts and thrown to the side like garbage and cant be sorted harsh very harsh indeed i try my hardest not to spam and i want to be in gryffindor
hermione_granger_1993
Third Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Nightcrawler » Saturday 12 March 2005 7:06:17am

Hermione_granger_girl. Yes, you have over thirty posts. There is a reason that you have not yet been sorted. This thread is not the correct place for you to bring up these matters either, but since you have, I'll explain it to you.

Here are your last few posts.

well i agree with that its an amazind really

These types of posts are frowned upon because they are too short and have no real purpose. It's like if I posted in a thread to simply say "Yeah." or "I don't think so." or "Maybe that could happen." These types of posts don't contribute anything to the discussion at all.

i think they will turn up alot like luna is cool and she is a smart girls [whole bunch of smileys]

This post doesn't really make sense and is another one liner.

the 6th book i hear is going to be great and im hoping that the books will never stop hoping that she doesnt onlystop at book 7

Another single sentence post.

i loved hp 5 the order of the pheonix

*sigh*

i say in english

hi: HI
bye: Bye
good day: GOOD DAY

Well, this goes without saying doesn't it? Can you imagine what it would be like if everyone made a post like that in the thread?

im ready brave encoraging and once again brave i have enough posts and i want access to the coomon room [whole bunch of smileys]

It is against the rules to make the same type of post over and over again. You have requested to be in Gryfindor at the very least, six times off the top of my head. Probably more. Which brings us to:

why you are here can someone put me in gryffindor im ready

and...

i have more than 25 posts. and i am on every day or shall i say active its not my fault someone to my username and changed it. they found my password and now it is gone i was 2 years and had 600 post will i repeat this is not fair and i want Paul to answer this only

Once again you have repeated the same message. Your post count has gone up but our respect for your posts hasn't. According to Paul, your old account had 78 posts, not 600. And you would also be required to prove to us that the old account was indeed you.

These are just eight examles, but there are many, many more. Including the post in this thread.

I know you don't mean any harm, but please try to understand why many of us are not too happy with what you are doing. We are not trying to be nasty to you, in fact we are just trying to help. All we ask of you in return is that you read the rules and try to respect them.

We consider single sentence posts to be spam. We consider repeated messages as spam. If we subtracted all of these types of posts from your post count, I'm sure that you would have less than 25. That is why you do not qualify to be sorted just yet.

You are welcome to post here and take part in discussions, but PLEASE try to make sensible posts. If you don't have anything larger than a sentence to add to a discussion, chances are its not worth adding anyway.

The moderators have been very patient with you so far, but there is a limit to our patience. If the gryfindor moderators see you behaving yourself, then they may let you in. Until then, you will just have to be patient.
Nightcrawler
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: Underneath a sheet of corigated tin by the side of the road.

ok

Postby hermione_granger_1993 » Saturday 12 March 2005 9:06:00pm

well i do understand but i have one more thing to say if im not trying to scam its not my fault.but anyways im not trying to argue but in the rules it doesnt even say spam counts. although it might i did not see it though.
and on the otherhand, i think they should let me in im brave bold and i wont act like this anymore after youve explained it thank you for explained it to me non like anyone else by the way im sorry if i was kinda spamming a little(or a lot,,...ill try to stop
hermione_granger_1993
Third Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Paul » Sunday 13 March 2005 4:02:47am

Thanks, hermione_granger_1993. It'll be really appreciated and you'll find that you get a lot of respect from fellow members. As Nightcrawler has very well pointed out, please understand that we're not trying to get at you as a person. It's just better for everyone if the board has interesting and well-thought-out posts rather than single sentences or repetition everywhere.
Paul
Minister of Magic and Headmaster of Hogwarts

Location: Ministry of Magic and Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, England

Next

Return to New Members Welcome Forum