What Makes Harry Potter So Good?

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

What Makes Harry Potter So Good?

Postby Centaur Lord » Saturday 20 September 2003 7:48:48pm

I dont know if there have been any other topics on this, but i decided to make one all the same...
I was just thinking about this and i was wondering...What do you think is the reason that Harry Potter is so good? Why do all these people (young and old) become attracted to it? For me, its because JKR makes Harry Potter so believable. When I am reading most books i think, "wow this is a good made up story." However, when I am reading Harry Potter, i think, "wow, this seems like it could really happen." It just doesnt seem like you are reading a made up fantasy story, but rather an account of real events. The books make it seem believable that there really is a secret society of witches and wizards living around the world. So just wondering, what are you thoughts?
Centaur Lord
Seventh Year

Postby Gower » Saturday 20 September 2003 9:52:12pm

JK is a tremendously gifted writer. It appeals to me cos it does seem believable and cos the characters are so well developed
Gower
Gryffindor Prefect, Head of Gryffindor Security Force and Member of Hogwarts Chess Team

Postby Devinci » Wednesday 24 September 2003 3:21:21am

Harry Potter, to me, is good because of character development....the characters hit ya right here *beats chest* Really...no joke.
Devinci
Hugger of Trees and Saver of Whales

Postby Violet » Wednesday 24 September 2003 7:10:29pm

Devinci wrote:Harry Potter, to me, is good because of character development....the characters hit ya right here *beats chest* Really...no joke.

Actually i know what you mean, you get so involved with the characters you feel like you know them.

I think that JK is wonderfully gifted, she manages to combine the the intrigue needed to keep you interested but also making you feel like you were almost there.
Violet
Serpentine Princess

Postby pinky p » Thursday 25 September 2003 12:10:50am

yes i agree with all of you
i think everyone likes hp because of the classic good/evil spectrum, too... everyone loves a good good v evil story :razz:
pinky p
Supreme Pie-Eater, Registered Animagus (Platypus) and Princess of All Pink Grapefruit

Location: either swimming, sleeping, eating, or doing schoolwork... my life these days

Postby Liquid Ice » Thursday 25 September 2003 8:22:09am

Yeh I agree too but its not so much the characters but the plot.
Liquid Ice
Eskimo Princess and Elite Auror

Postby gecko » Thursday 25 September 2003 1:52:48pm

For me, it's a combination of the excellent characters. Though some irritate me from time to time, I think that only show how well written they are!

Also, I am intrigued by the magical world and the way magic works, kinda like Mr. Weasley's fascination for our world I guess :razz: !
gecko
Supreme Mugwump, Walker of Walls and Receiver of Won's Smooches

Postby Holly Golightly » Thursday 25 September 2003 3:59:03pm

It's just all the details that keep me interested! And you enver know what is going to happen next! Alot ot good v's evil books are soooo ovious in the plot. I'm still not sure wether I think that Harry will live or die at the end??? :grin:

Holly ;)
Holly Golightly
Ravenclaw Chaser, Keeper of the Keys and Dancer of the Dances

Postby Gower » Thursday 25 September 2003 4:12:19pm

Holly Golightly wrote:It's just all the details that keep me interested! And you enver know what is going to happen next! Alot ot good v's evil books are soooo ovious in the plot. I'm still not sure wether I think that Harry will live or die at the end??? :grin:

Holly ;)

I think he will live. But i agree that there are many mysteries so far... which just help to me engrossed :)
Gower
Gryffindor Prefect, Head of Gryffindor Security Force and Member of Hogwarts Chess Team

Postby choki » Sunday 28 September 2003 5:12:29pm

I fell in love with the movie PS 1st then watched CoS...and finally can't resist the temptation to find out more...so i bought the 4 books at one go...and the more i readied the more i got hooked...
HP is very intriguing and the excitment follows as you read further
choki
Gryffindor Prefect and Silent Guardian Of Stars

Postby Gower » Sunday 28 September 2003 9:57:37pm

I read the books before seeing the movies. I first started reading when a friend gave me the third one as a birthday present. I read it in a day and quickly devoured the other two.
Gower

Postby Seraphine » Thursday 29 January 2004 5:31:09pm

I have to admit that the first time someone asked me if I wanted a HP book I said I didn't...Then I saw it on my friends table, grabbed it and read a few pages...It was interesting!So next time I said I wanted the book. I read the first one, the second...and became addicted!
What is really attracting in the books is that the world in them is so fantastic and childish(which is very good I think, because people who don't know or don't remember how to be a child are hopeless) and very real at the same time. I even was mad at Harry for some time when I was thinking he's so imperfect. Then I started to notice that I do quite the same mistakes and so on...
Seraphine
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Athena Appleton » Thursday 29 January 2004 8:01:35pm

I used to work at Barnes and Noble, and I had to read the first chapter of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (I'm in the US)... my first thought: "GOSH this is dull!" Second thought: "This is so British!" :lol:
Fast forward a few years... It was my turn to pick what movie we would go see for date night, and there weren't just a lot of great choices, so we went to see Harry Potter. I liked it. Fast forward another year: I'm looking forward to the CoS movie. Watched it, and decided I needed to read the books. NOW I'm hooked.
J.K. Rowling has the most complex writing style of anyone of our time. Your brain has to really really work to comprehend half of what she puts in her books, and every time you read it, something new pops up (and I love rereading books anyway). She's got a great sense of humor, Harry and Ron are realistic teenage boys, and the other characters are so likeable (or hateable)! :-) It's not just Harry, Ron and Hermione that I like. Dumbledore, Lupin, and McGonagall are awesome good guys, and Snape and Lucius are so dispicable! And, just like in real life, everyone has good and bad in them... I can't stand reading books or seeing movies where the heros have no flaws, and the enemies aren't likeable in the most remote sense.
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Athena Appleton » Thursday 29 January 2004 8:02:10pm

I used to work at Barnes and Noble, and I had to read the first chapter of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (I'm in the US)... my first thought: "GOSH this is dull!" Second thought: "This is so British!" :lol:
Fast forward a few years... It was my turn to pick what movie we would go see for date night, and there weren't just a lot of great choices, so we went to see Harry Potter. I liked it. Fast forward another year: I'm looking forward to the CoS movie. Watched it, and decided I needed to read the books. NOW I'm hooked.
J.K. Rowling has the most complex writing style of anyone of our time. Your brain has to really really work to comprehend half of what she puts in her books, and every time you read it, something new pops up (and I love rereading books anyway). She's got a great sense of humor, Harry and Ron are realistic teenage boys, and the other characters are so likeable (or hateable)! :-) It's not just Harry, Ron and Hermione that I like. Dumbledore, Lupin, and McGonagall are awesome good guys, and Snape and Lucius are so dispicable! And, just like in real life, everyone has good and bad in them... I can't stand reading books or seeing movies where the heros have no flaws, and the enemies aren't likeable in the most remote sense.
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Athena Appleton » Thursday 29 January 2004 8:02:58pm

Athena Appleton

Next

Return to The Books