you must read this theory

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

you must read this theory

Postby Female_alien » Sunday 16 November 2003 9:03:30pm

This theory is not mine!!! I read it on another forum I'm on. I asked the author of it can I post it here, and I can. So the author is Dora and Gally. You have to read it, really!!!!
This Theory is....Well, I do not know what to say about it before I begin. Well, last weekend, AFTER 6 YEARS OF BOOK 1'S RELEASE, one russian woman (Dora) discovered that Rowling told in book 1 about 2 main deaths in the Potter series. She wrote an article about it. When I read it, I was deeply shocked. Then I also discovered many new facts by myself and found another 2 deaths of another two main characters. Then I contacted her, we talked this theory over, and now I am posting this theory here. I think, that it's a very important theory, please, read.

Rowling always had a good sense of humor . She described the Second Wizard War in the MCGonnagal's chessgame. The chessmen (chessmen, figures...how strangely she describes them, like real people, not like pieces of stone) are black (Aurors) and white. The white figures are scary, cus they are "faceless" (white terrible masks of death eaters). Here is the quote:
>>Harry, Ron and Hermione shivered slightly -- the towering white chessmen had no faces.
Then let's take a look at this:
>>"Well, Harry, you take the place of that bishop, and Hermione, you are next to him instead of that castle."
"What about you?"
"I'm going to be a knight," said Ron.
That's a very strange choise, isn't it? Ron is very good at chess, he must knew, that it's better to be a king, because kings can stay untill the end of the game without being taken, and they are the ones, who command. It would be much more logical to be a king. But Rowling likes symbolism, and everything in this chessgame is symbolical. Ron IS a knight. Because this redhead boy is pure in heart and brave as a real knight. He never was a king, nor a commander among his friends. Hermione is a castle, because castle walks straight, and Hermione is quite a "straight" person. Harry is a bishop because bishop is the figure, that is very close to the King (Dumbledore). Harry is also not "straight" like Hermioe, he prefers "to walk diagonally", because he's self-effacing and a little secretive (like confessors (bishop)).
Then the game (war) begins. You know, in the movie this game was shown better than in the book, there were more detailes in it. So the game (and the second war) begines with Cedric's death - in the movie the black pawn Cedric (innosent die first, and so pawns are taken first in a chessgame) was taken by white Voldemort's pawn Wormtail ("high, cold voice say, "Kill the spare." A swishing noise and a second voice, which screeched the words to the night: "Avada Kedavra!"). Later in the book, Joanne says:
>>Their first real shock came when their other knight was taken. The white queen smashed him to the floor and dragged him off the board, where he lay quite still, facedown.
Bellatrix Lestrange murdered Sirius Black.
>>Every time one of their men was lost, the white pieces showed no mercy. Soon there was a huddle of limp black players slumped along the wall. Ron himself darted around the board, taking almost as many white pieces as they had lost black ones.
The war plot of the sixth book. Many, many people die. In the movie we can almost clearly see the death of the black queen, who's undoubtly a Severus Snape, a faithul and the closest servant of Dumbledore. The Black Queen is the most dangerous figure in a game (Snape is a spy) and one of the strongest persons among all "chessmen". It means, that Voldemort killed him as he wished("One, who I believe has left me forever ... he will be killed, of course . . ."). Then we completely clearly see the death of the Castle - she is professor MCGonnagal. Ron and Sirius are very similar characters, they are both knights. Hermione and McGonagall are similar, Hermione is a castle, and so Minerva is. Well, probably Hagrid would be a castle, but he was never so important. And if McGonagall is a Black Quenn, than she still dies. Then, Harry is a bishop, so another Bishop is Neville. And so on...
>>"Yes..." said Ron softly, "It's the only way... I've got to be taken."
"No!" Harry and Hermione shouted.
"That's chess!" snapped Ron. "You've got to make some sacrifices! I take one step forward and she'll take me -- that leaves you free to checkmate the king, Harry!"
"But --"
"Do you want to stop Snape or not?"
"Ron --"
"Look, if you don't hurry up, he'll already have the Stone!"
There was no alternative.
Ron sacrifises himself to let Harry kill Voldemort. There is NO alternative, he has to die anyway. It's book 7.
>>He stepped forward, and the white queen pounced. She struck Ron hard across the head with her stone arm, and he crashed to the floor - Hermione screamed but stayed on her square - the white queen dragged Ron to one side. He looked as if he'd been knocked out.
Bellatrix Lestrange murders Ron Weasley.
>>The white king took off his crown and threw it at Harry's feet. They had won. The chessmen parted and bowed, leaving the door ahead clear.
Harry kills Voldemort and survives. The Second Wizard War ends.

But Voldemort and Quirrel also won the chessgame - before the trio came.

So, who's playing the chess better?

As I already said, Rowling always had a good sense of humor.

By Dora & Gally
Female_alien
Lord of the Aliens, Crazyness, Candles and Smiles, and a Proud Hufflepuff

Postby Gower » Sunday 16 November 2003 10:29:48pm

That is certainly a very interesting theory. I wouldn't be at all suprised if the chess game is forshadowing the events to follow. The only thing that I find hard to believe is that Ron will die. However it is true that Ron made an odd choice in the game because knights do often get exchanged early on but the king will only be lost if the game is lost. I would be keen to hear someone elses view on this theory.
Gower
Gryffindor Prefect, Head of Gryffindor Security Force and Member of Hogwarts Chess Team

Postby highsorcerer » Monday 17 November 2003 12:42:30am

It's certainly possible. I agree Ron did not pick the chess pieces well. He should have made himself or Harry the king (depending on whether he felt Harry had to go on no matter what, or if he was needed to direct the game no matter what, figuring he could revive a knocked out Harry to continue). Somebody else should have played a queen, since they are very powerful pieces and protected. From there, it's a toss up between a castle and a bishop. Knights are considered the weakest of the back row pieces (except for the king, which is special).

However, I rather thought the point of Ron getting sacrificed was to diminshed the trio to just Harry at the end. Harry tricked Hagrid into revealing the secret of Fluffy. Hermoine recognized devil's snare, but it took Ron to point out Hermoine was a witch (one of the many failings Hermoine has had when it came time to use her talents in the real world). Harry got the key in the charm room; nobody had to deal with the troll, Ron sacrificed himself in the chess board, Hermoine solved Snape's potion puzzle but had to stay behind, and Harry, in the end, solved the hardest task of all (Dumbledore's task; the mirror of Erised).
highsorcerer
Department of Mysteries Unspeakable and Registered Animagus (Parrot)

Postby pinky p » Monday 17 November 2003 1:51:49am

i really like this theory. if it does happen, though, and the chess game really is foreshadowing the death of ron, that would be really sad, too. :-? anything is possible... maybe the entire first book foretells the whole series! :eek: i guess we'll just have to wait and see...

i like highsorcerer's theory that the puzzles at the end of S.S. are telling the whole series. that would mean the books would end with a final face to face battle between harry and voldemort. voldemort would have an advantage, though... he would also have one of his followers (quirrel in SS)
pinky p
Supreme Pie-Eater, Registered Animagus (Platypus) and Princess of All Pink Grapefruit

Location: either swimming, sleeping, eating, or doing schoolwork... my life these days

Postby Mint » Monday 17 November 2003 5:24:21pm

I really really liked that theory! Good job guys!! U worked it out to little details!! :)

I have a question - I dont remember all the details from the book - I remember more of the movie. And in the movie it looked like there were 3 pieces missing on the chess board. and thats the places that they took. For some reason I always though that once next "players" walked in - the chess board immediately "adjusted" itself to have just enough free spaces for the new players to become part of the game.

Also, Ron wasn't smashed to pieces so hopefully he will live... :)
Mint
Slytherin Prefect, Hogwarts Librarian and Milady of the Night

Location: Chasing evil duck commander Choki >:( on a chocobo!!!

Postby Liquid Ice » Monday 17 November 2003 5:31:42pm

Very intresting indeed. Infact it makes so much sense its scary. It seems a bit far fetched at first, but it does make sense, and I like highsorcers theory, but Im not sure about ron dying cos it really would break up the trio in the final book, but then it does seem as though him sacraficing himself in the game would sort of reflect him sacraficing himself in the last book. Its a very good theory.
Liquid Ice
Eskimo Princess and Elite Auror

Postby Centaur Lord » Tuesday 18 November 2003 2:30:15am

Wow...
That pretty much sums it up. Someone must have been extrmemely smart to have noticed all this stuff. Its truly amazing, and i wouldnt doubt that this is actually fortelling the end of the series.
Centaur Lord
Seventh Year

Postby Violet » Tuesday 18 November 2003 4:40:47am

Either it is a really big coincidence, or Rowling really is foreshadowing later events in her earlier books.
The only reason i would question it is because i doubt that she would have know that early on about so much of the content of books 5-7. i mean i know that she had a lot worked out, but for me it seems like a bit too much.
Violet
Serpentine Princess

Postby Liquid Ice » Tuesday 18 November 2003 9:16:36am

Its true what violet high said, I dont think it could be a coincedence, but its true she probably wouldnt have had it all worked out when she wrote book 1.
Liquid Ice
Eskimo Princess and Elite Auror

Postby choki » Tuesday 18 November 2003 10:08:34am

.......i'm speechless....what could anyone possibly think of such a theory...it's great though

but what if this is really a coincidence, I mean Rowling wrote the deaths then someone relate back to the chess match, joining the pieces up...I really don't know abt this.

But if this is really true or close to the truth, I will have to bow down to the person who wrote this theory.
choki
Gryffindor Prefect and Silent Guardian Of Stars

Postby Jotomicron » Tuesday 18 November 2003 11:11:29am

Amazing... Truly amazing!!!
This theory does seem very keen and odd at the beggining, but when one reaches the end, it sounds possible!

I have some facts, though.
*If DD is the King, he will not die (Hurray)!
*While Harry an Hermione were the pieces themselves, Ron was part of the piece, he was just the Knight (not the horse). It could meen Ron will lose his strenght though he will survive (with injuries and so on).
*What abt Neville? Do we know what the other bishop does? I wonder whether he had a special role in the chessgame...

(OH... I hope Ron doesn't die...)

BTW, good job Female_alien... You can tell you friend Dora that the theory is terrific, unbelievable yet possible!

:) ~Just wonder about ev'rything... It's good to your mind~ :)
Jotomicron
Producer of Happiness and Mysterious Metamorphmagus

Postby Mistress Siana » Tuesday 18 November 2003 6:29:48pm

I LOVE THAT THEORY!!!!!

There is actually no doubt that JKR knew about later deaths while writing the first book, because according to herself, she already had the whole plot in mind when she started writing the series.
There is however one point that isn't quite right:

But Voldemort and Quirrel also won the chessgame - before the trio came.

As Quirrel was part of the staff, he knew about the riddles and how to solve them (Hagrid said something about the teachers being the only ones to pass it-that was why the trio was so shocked to hear that Snape had created a riddle as well).
Mistress Siana
Slytherin Chaser and Devil's advocate

Postby Centaur Lord » Wednesday 19 November 2003 1:58:13am

Ill say it again, this is probably the most in-depth theory ive ever seen. Someone said that it would be kind of impossible that Rowling would know that much about her future books that early on, but it is possible. In fact, in interviews, Rowling has said that she has had the ENTIRE series planned out since before she even started. Therefore, it is entirely possible that this is theory is accurate.
Centaur Lord
Seventh Year

Postby Violet » Wednesday 19 November 2003 3:14:46pm

i dont think it was said that it wasnt possible, but it wasnt probable. i mean JK will have definately made changes throughout the books.
i really do think that while this theory does sound brilliant, that it is all just a big coincidence
Violet
Serpentine Princess

Postby Broccoli » Wednesday 19 November 2003 3:32:54pm

A very interesting theory!

Well, I also hope that Ron will not die and actualy hardly believe that JKR will "kill" him...

As for Ron's choice to be a knight - I think they really had to take the places of the missing figures, so he could not have chose to be the king anyway...
Broccoli
Slytherin Prefect, Healer at St Mungo's and Slytherin Chaser

Next

Return to Theories