New Gryffindor Quidditch Captain

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

New Gryffindor Quidditch Captain

Postby Nobby » Thursday 1 April 2004 5:06:45pm

Jk said in her interview on world book day that there is a new quidditch captain for Gryffindor in book 6. She also implies that this person will not be overkeen on letting Ron remain on the team!

Who do you think it is?
Nobby
Hufflepuff Prefect and The Half Blood Prince

Postby Athena Appleton » Thursday 1 April 2004 6:48:29pm

You know, that question confused the heck out of me in that chat... the person who asked asked it like "will ron ever make it on the gryffindor quidditch team"... ron's already on the gryffindor quidditch team... :???:

anyway... I guess if the person isn't keen on Ron being on the team, that blows my ron-the-quidditch-captain theory out of the water...

ummm... I see very few possibilities, honestly...

we dont know why the person wouldn't want Ron on the team... there doesn't seem to be anyone who truly doesn't like Ron... I would suspect Seamus before he finally decided Harry wasn't nuts and joined the DA...

I wonder if this falls in with another rumor that someone will change houses... what if, somehow, Malfoy had to change houses, and became Quidditch captain... he would certainly want Ron off the team.

The only way I see Malfoy having to change houses is if, after the events of OotP, the children of the men who were arrested and taken to Azkaban have to be busted up (meaning Malfoy goes to Gryffindor, Crabbe goes to Hufflepuff, Goyle stays in Slytherin and Nott goes to Ravenclaw) or if Slytherin house is busted up all-together to keep the students in Slytherin from trying to stage a rebellion or something...
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Nobby » Thursday 1 April 2004 6:55:51pm

Athena Appleton wrote: wonder if this falls in with another rumor that someone will change houses... what if, somehow, Malfoy had to change houses, and became Quidditch captain... he would certainly want Ron off the team

i was just thinking exactly the same thing! ummm... that sounds really interesting. like you said i can't see the sorting hat putting draco in the wrong house so seperating the offspring of known death eaters sounds the most plausible explaination! :grin:
Nobby
Hufflepuff Prefect and The Half Blood Prince

Postby AngelicS_89 » Thursday 1 April 2004 9:02:51pm

I always thought that Harry will be next Quidditch captain...And doesn't McGonagall partly has an influence on who's on team and who's the captain...And I don't think that Malfoy could ever be a Quidditch captain for Gryffindor,cause everyone there hates him.I really don't know who could kick out Ron from the team,I mean Percy has left the school and I think that only he could do something like that...Except if there would be a really good keeper between the future 2 year students,and Harry wouldn't have any other option :???:
AngelicS_89
Keeper of Smiles and Happiness

Postby Cruzio » Thursday 1 April 2004 10:08:29pm

Ginny goes captain, and she's not keen on keeping Ron because something happens, so he plays as awful as he did almost all the time last year.

Hey it's all theories! :)
Cruzio
Third Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Athena Appleton » Thursday 1 April 2004 10:55:45pm

Fluffy bear wrote:I always thought that Harry will be next Quidditch captain...And doesn't McGonagall partly has an influence on who's on team and who's the captain...And I don't think that Malfoy could ever be a Quidditch captain for Gryffindor,cause everyone there hates him.I really don't know who could kick out Ron from the team,I mean Percy has left the school and I think that only he could do something like that...Except if there would be a really good keeper between the future 2 year students,and Harry wouldn't have any other option :???:

We really don't know how the captain is chosen...

Actually, I'm starting to think that Quidditch has lost its importance to Harry and he won't be the seeker anymore...

I mean, he's barely played in the last two years...

I actually think the quidditch story is going to follow Ron and/or Ginny from here on out.
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby paintballdecoy » Friday 2 April 2004 1:19:03am

i agree, i think quidditch is going to take a back seat to voldemort. plus harry might not be on the team becuase being out in the open makes him valnerable to attack, possible from the forest, or a student could have the imperies (sp) curse on him/her and attack harry 100 meters up
paintballdecoy
Chief Paintball Wizard, Theory Master and Voldemort Spy

Postby Athena Appleton » Friday 2 April 2004 1:50:55am

Yeah, I mean, Quidditch has served some purposes (made Harry feel at home and like he belonged in the wizarding world, and, most importantly I think, introduced the idea of the Quidditch world cup, which we all know was a MAJOR aspect of the story). Now I think Harry will be most focused on school (assuming he passed all the OWLs he needed, he'll be doing some hefty studying to become and auror), and I think Ron will actually get some of the spotlight on the Quidditch field... But she's slowly taken Harry out of the Quidditch scene, and I don't think he'll be making a comeback.
Athena Appleton

Postby Alice I » Friday 2 April 2004 2:31:37am

Athena does make a good point about how Harry has steadily been removed from the quidditch scene but it is one of the things he truley loves in the wizarding world.

The only members left for the quidditch team are the beaters Kirk and Sloper that were taken on last year, Ginny and Ron. The three chasers graduated according to the HP Lexicon so I think that McGonnagall will appoint Harry to be team captian. He has the most experience of anyone left on the team.
In OotP Angelica was made captian by McGonnagall I think? When she approached Harry and told him that is the impression I got.
Alice I
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Athena Appleton » Friday 2 April 2004 4:54:30am

But if Malfoy were to go to Gryffindor, and he were on the house team, it would actually make most sense that he be captain, simply because he has seniority on the Quidditch scene... If Angelina, Katie and Alicia have graduated, and Harry weren't on the team anymore (and I really think he'll make the decision or someone will decide for him that he's done with Quidditch), Malfoy's been playing years longer than Ron or Ginny... and, even if McGonagall wouldn't want to, she would really have to give him the spot, for that reason...
Athena Appleton

Postby Aberforth » Friday 2 April 2004 2:01:23pm

If Harry were to continue, the logical step would be to make him captain since he wouldbe the only player to have been around for more than one season. However, I like the point about him being carefully withdrawn from Quidditch so I think it is possible he won't be playing - otherwise how could Ron become captain before he leaves, Harry would have to quit or be sacked.

I think that McGonagall may have to give Harry extra tuition or he'll feel that he has too much work to do to carry on with quidditch. Training to be an auror is really tough, so he will have to be fully focussed. I think McG will impress this on him early on so he doesn't play.
Aberforth
Hogs Head Bartender

Postby choki » Friday 2 April 2004 4:50:07pm

I was so hoping Ron would become the captain. In that way, everything he said unintentionally becomes a reality! (Mirror Of Erised)

Although the decision of the Quidditch team captain lies on the teachers and perhaps Dumbledore, I suppose the chosen candidate could still reject that offer. The Gyffindor team is still in need for players, maybe a new comer that showed potential? Neville Longbottom?
choki
Gryffindor Prefect and Silent Guardian Of Stars

Postby Jotomicron » Friday 2 April 2004 7:16:52pm

Actually, after reading the chat, I thought: 'Harry's going to be the next captain. How could it be otherwise?' But now that I've read this theory... it's seems so unlikely he'll keep playing...

McGonagall said she would do everything she could to make Harry and Auror. Was she just picking on Umbridge? Well, I guess so, but as Harry has heard her, and she doesn't want do disappoint him, she'll 'teach' him... So, she might very well say him that Quidditch is (or could be) ruining the chances he has to became an Auror.
Jotomicron
Producer of Happiness and Mysterious Metamorphmagus

Postby Enchanter » Friday 2 April 2004 8:22:27pm

ron could be quiditch captain. If u remember correctly in OOTF he keeps on trying to resign. If he plays horrible again he will probably want to quit again. I dont see how Malfoy would be captain seeing how Harry plays seeker and so does Malfoy. Even if harry didnt play wouldnt Ginny be seeker?
Enchanter
Sixth Year

Postby Athena Appleton » Friday 2 April 2004 9:55:57pm

Welcome, enchanter! :welcome:

Well, Ginny doesn't like playing seeker, remember? She prefers playing Chaser, and says in OotP that she was thinking about transferring from seeker to chaser after Katie, Alicia and Angelina leave and Harry's back on the team (because at that time, they assume Harry will naturally be back on the team once Umbridge is gone)... So, assuming Harry doesn't play anymore (and I don't think he will), the seeker position is open. I wish I could remember where I heard that someone would change houses, but the more I think about it, the more I think Slytherin (or at least the children of Death Eaters) must be disbanded before they rebel or gain power through numbers... So Ginny goes over to chaser, Ron stays on as keeper and Malfoy takes over as seeker... Malfoy has the most experience on the Quidditch field of the three...
Athena Appleton

Next

Return to Theories