Shipping Poll Why We Ship the Way We do

Meet everyone here in The Great Hall for general discussions. Here you'll find a friendly place to talk about all things under the magnificent magical ceiling...even stuff not connected with Harry Potter!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, DucksRMagical, Broccoli, Run Away!!!, Phoenix in the Ashes

Shipping Poll Why We Ship the Way We do

Postby PaperbagPrincess » Thursday 24 March 2005 3:54:45am

WHY PEOPLE SHIP THEY WAY THEY DO MYTHS POLL

There are many Myths about why people ship the way they do. I am conducting this poll to see what if any truth there is behind some of these myths. Are all Herons Ron fanatics and all Harmony's Hermione fanatics ect ect. I hope that any one that participants in this poll will help in getting others to do so as well. So please pm your friends and add a link to your siggy the more people that do this the more accurate the results will be.

Now for the questions

1. who do you Primarily ship

2. is the ship you primarily ship your canon ship or your preference ship or both

3. What is your canon ship

4. what is your preference ship

5. who is your favorite character

6. who is your second favorite character

7. who is your least favorite character(other then the villans)

8. Who is your least favorite character in the trio

9. What is the worst character flaw to be found in the books and witch caracters have it

10.What age are you

11.Witch character annoys you the most

12.who do you hope die's(other then the villains)

13.who is the most useless character in the books ( the person that you would not have noticed if they had never been there or if they just diapered from the books with out any explanation.

14. in 5 word's or less what is your relationship experience?(eg. married/divorced/never had one/engaged ect ect)

15.if you had to classify your relationship by a literary convention or cliche witch one would it be.

16.have you ever had a best friend of the opposite s*x

17.what ship of the mane ships is most unlikely to happen

18. how much a part of the books dose or will romance play. small /med/large

19. do you believe that JKR is using the red herring method in her books when it comes to romance

20.why do you believe other people ship differently than you

21. what ships do you consider sunk(lets keep this list to main ship’s and relatively possible ships. No Dumbeldor and the giant squid ships ect ect)

22. What do you concider Canon(eg book's, quote's, movies ect)

23. What kind of cannon convinced you of your ship(not the what sean from the book convinced you but the movies or the book ect )

24. How were you introduced to the world of Harry Potter. the book's or the movies?

I ask that when filling out this poll you A .number all your answers(I recomend cut and posting the questions in to your reply) and B. Use commonsense when answering we are trying to un muddy the waters of the main ships.

Well have fun and I hope in the end that the results of this poll will help the ships understand each other better.
PaperbagPrincess
Squib

Postby Broccoli » Thursday 24 March 2005 2:45:19pm

what are canon and preference ships?
Broccoli
Slytherin Prefect, Healer at St Mungo's and Slytherin Chaser

Postby Tanuki » Thursday 24 March 2005 3:02:14pm

I'm not really sure, but I see relationships developig in the series anyway, this leads me to look for the chemistry, but I also know not to look at what's directly in front of me, because JKR has a tendancy to play a lot of red herrings

2. is the ship you primarily ship your canon ship or your preference ship or both
I view it as both since I can see examples in the text, even when others don't. It causes contriversy since its essentially a love triangle

Harry/Hermione

Harry Hermione

McGonnagal

Harry

Umbridge/Snaoe

Ron

9. What is the worst character flaw to be found in the books and witch caracters have it
Prejudice, and a lot of the characters have, starting with Draco and ending with Fudge and Umbridge

10.What age are you
23 come may 7

Draco, he stirs up too much childish cr*p

Lupin, because the poor man needs peace he wont find in the world he lives in

13.who is the most useless character in the books ( the person that you would not have noticed if they had never been there or if they just diapered from the books with out any explanation.
Dean Simmons

14. in 5 word's or less what is your relationship experience?(eg. married/divorced/never had one/engaged ect ect)
Single, having dated strange women

15.if you had to classify your relationship by a literary convention or cliche witch one would it be.
The sequence where you see someone going out with nothing but losers, while looking for his princess

My best friends have mostly been the opposite s*x

Ron/Hermione

Pretty big, considering it shows that life doesn't stop just because some bad stuff happens

19. do you believe that JKR is using the red herring method in her books when it comes to romance
Didn't I just say that before?

Because they took the easy road, instead of looking deeper

21. what ships do you consider sunk(lets keep this list to main ship’s and relatively possible ships. No Dumbeldor and the giant squid ships ect ect)
Ron/Luna and Neville/Ginny. Ron think's Luna's wierd and Ginny and Neville aren't like that

The books are canon...I'm afraid I don't get this question

23. What kind of cannon convinced you of your ship(not the what sean from the book convinced you but the movies or the book ect )
The book canon convinced me, added with an essay explaining things that I was already starting to see. Adde to that is the fact that the Ron/Hermy ship annoyed me, since they would not make a good couple

24. How were you introduced to the world of Harry Potter. the book's or the movies?
My older sister pestered me till I went to see the movie, after that I started reading the books
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby Un'Anima Persa » Saturday 26 March 2005 12:44:41am

err... if u mean specific couples... i say hermione/seamus
preference
i dont know what that ish...

seamus/hermy

filch

hermy

harry

harry

i agree with the person above me.
10.What age are you

umbridge... UGH!

filch... he deserves a good clean death.

Dean Thomas

got a boyfreind (1st) now

The sequence where you see someone going out with one person, hoping it'll last a while
My best friends have mostly been the opposite s*x

Harry/Hermione

Large.

????????

Because they dont like the odd couples

harry/hermy... just not happenin, and Harry/ginny not happenin, and ron/hermy... again, not gonna happen... and harry/luna
??????????????/

what is a CANNON?!

BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!
Un'Anima Persa
Ravenclaw Prefect

Postby Mistress Siana » Saturday 26 March 2005 6:21:36am

Hm, I'm not an all too big shipper, at least not of the bigger ships, but I'll give it a try.

Snape/Bellatrix (Yeah, I'm strange, but I've warned you)

Preference

Ron/Hermione

see no 2

Snape

Tom Riddle/Voldemort

7. who is your least favorite character(other then the villans<--I love the bad guys!)
James Potter

Hermione

Cowardry, Pettigrew and Karkaroff

10.What age are you
20 (since last week)

James Potter

Harry, not because I don't like him, but because I think it would be better and more touching ending than "and they lived happily ever after".

Justin Finch-Fletchley

Too selfish/paranoid for relationships

Any scene in which somebody hurts the one he loves most

yep

Neville/Luna (if that's considered a main ship?)

small-med

Like hell she does

Most likely because I feel slightly too old to wonder about teenager relationships and other people clearly think more about it than I do

Lily/Snape (a big and stupid ship), Luna/Neville, Harry/Hermione (JKR's quotes suggest so, but as I said, I'm not really a trio shipper in the first place)

Only books are canon, but quotes are quite close to it.

I'm far from convinced of my ship, I just love it. As far as the trio's concerned: I'm convinced of Ron/Hermione because JKR's quotes suggest it and because I think that Harry will die.

Saw movie-hated it, read book-loved it
Mistress Siana
Slytherin Chaser and Devil's advocate

Postby Nightcrawler » Saturday 26 March 2005 11:28:55am

Yeah, I don't really ship either, but for the next few minutes of my life; I really don't have anything better to do than fill out these questions. So here goes.

I don't. But if I had to choose, I'd say Ron/Hermione.

I must say, this last question wasn't worded very clearly. Based on my interpretation of the question, I'll say: canon.

Ron/Hermione

Crabbe/Goyle. I'd love to see Draco's reaction.

Lupin or Sirius

Snape of Voldermort

Umbridge

Ron. It's not that I don't like him; it's just that I like Harry and Hermione better. Plus he tends to whine.

Aarogance. Who has it? Too many to name, but I'll give it a shot anyway. Harry, Ron, Hermione, Draco, Snape, Lucius, Sirrius, Cedric's parents, Cho, Dudley, Petunia, Vernon, that Centaur guy... Bane I think he was. Buckbeak, Rita Skeeter, James, Fudge, Percy, Flint, Wood and Umbridge.

Ironicly, I wouldn't say that Voldermort is arrogant. Tom Riddle may have been, but I think that Voldermort has learned a bit of humility from his time as a spirit. He has openly said in front of his Death Eaters and Harry that he still has a lot to learn before he can understand immortality. His goals are a little lower now.

10.What age are you

18 years old.

Draco.

Lupin and Petter Pettigrew. Simply so that the Marauders can be together in the afterlife, and perhaps say hi to Harry as cheezy, grinning, blue Star Wars ghosts.

Dean. What does this guy even do?

Quite limited, but still soul-suckingly awful. Currently single.

The decent guy who ends up getting shafted because his gf(s) would rather be with the "bad" jerkoff. Ends up bitter and cranky because people only see him as a temporary thing until they can meet somone better.

I don't really have a "best" friend, so no.

Harry/Draco. I'm not kidding. There are people out there that want this to happen. Ugh.

Small.

19. do you believe that JKR is using the red herring method in her books when it comes to romance.

Haven't given it much thought. I don't think so.

Well I'm not a big shipper, but I believe that many people read stuff into the text that simply isn't there. Perhaps experiences from thier own lives cause them to read the text differently, or perhaps they simply assume that something that should be there is there.

Harry/Ginny

The books of course.

I guess the movies cause me to lean more towards a Ron/Hermione relationship.

The books. I got PoA for Christmas and loved it.

Well have fun and I hope in the end that the results of this poll will help the ships understand each other better.

You're gonna get back to us with the results, right? :grin:
Nightcrawler
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: Underneath a sheet of corigated tin by the side of the road.

Postby Scellanis » Saturday 26 March 2005 6:28:37pm

What is shipping anyway?

(apart from what people call postage on places like amazon)
Scellanis
Hufflepuff Prefect

Location: Pretending to be a sea slug with 'go faster' stripes...

Postby Mistress Siana » Saturday 26 March 2005 11:23:29pm

Well, when you go onto one of this huge things that swim on the ocean... :razz:

I think it comes from relation-ship. You ship a pairing when you are certain they're gonna hook up with each other, when you want them to do so, or if you like fanfiction in which they have/develope a relationship.
Mistress Siana

Postby Tanuki » Sunday 27 March 2005 12:16:11am

James Potter

Like hell she does

Ron. It's not that I don't like him; it's just that I like Harry and Hermione better. Plus he tends to whine.

-Now I know why I get along so little with you Siana

-Wait, no one believes she's using the Red Herring method, when she does it in every other aspect of the book in every book. Why would she be straightforward in this aspect?

-Okay, dude, why are you going to put Ron and Hermione together, when you don't even like him that much?
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby Nightcrawler » Sunday 27 March 2005 6:55:33am

I didn't say I don't like him. In fact I do. I just like the other trio members more. Like I said, I'm not a big shipper so I really don't care too much who Hermione ends up with (Harry or Ron), it's just that in my interpretation of the books, I see more happening with Hermione and Ron than with Hermione and Harry. But as you said, this could just be a red herring.
Nightcrawler
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Un'Anima Persa » Sunday 27 March 2005 8:35:20pm

what is canon?
Un'Anima Persa
Ravenclaw Prefect

Postby Mistress Siana » Monday 28 March 2005 4:29:47am

Hey, that last statement you quoted wasn't made by me, Tanuki! It was Nightcrawler's.

And, about me saying "like hell she does"...it was supposed to mean "yes, she does it quite often", possibly stupid me didn't get the meaning of 'like hell' right. :D I'm not all too used to colloquial english, you know? Merely, I based my opinion on the developing relationships in the Harry Potter books on JKR's statements in interviews, not on the books themselves. Sorry, I'm not a big shipper in the first place, if I were to decide, the trio would remain a trio and not a couple + 1. But I'm willing to accept whatever JKR comes up with, even if the subject of romance is not my favourite one in the books.
Mistress Siana

Postby Nightcrawler » Monday 28 March 2005 9:00:50am

what is canon?

Canon means "official". Sort of. And there are huge debates in the fandom of various things over what is and what is not canon.

Star Wars is a perfect example.

George Lucus purists consider only the six movies to be canon. They think that only the events that happened in the movies actually "happened". There are a whole heap of books and comics that are called "The Expanded Universe" (EU for short). Most of the EU is set after the movies, where Luke Skywalker starts his own Jedi accademy, falls in love with Mara Jade, Chewbacca dies, Han and Leia get married and have kids etcetera etcetera. Of course, the Lucas purists will insist that because these events take place outside of George Lucus's original vision, they are not canon. They will say that these books are only a possible future for the characters in the movies. Then there are the people who will insist that the books are canon because they have been approved by Lucas's company, even thought George Lucas wasn't directly involved.

That's just one example. Here's a hypothetical.

Imagine if there were a Saturday morning cartoon about Harry Potter. For this to happen, JKR would have to give her approval of course, because the characters and the HP universe belong to her. But would you consider the episodes of the cartoon to be canon? Suppose it was set in Harry's third year, and one episode featured Harry defeating a big green monster that was possessed by Voldermort's spirit. Does this mean that by the fourth book, Harry and Voldermort have in fact met three times rather than twice?

What if there were comics? Would you consider them to be canon?

In the end, it's all up to personal interpretation.

The question was asking what you consider to be canon. The books? The movies? Comments made by JKR about certain characters?

That is how I can best describe canon.
Nightcrawler
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Un'Anima Persa » Monday 28 March 2005 4:42:12pm

thank you. i understand a bit better now.
Un'Anima Persa
Ravenclaw Prefect

Postby Tanuki » Monday 28 March 2005 9:31:26pm

Mistress Siana wrote:Hey, that last statement you quoted wasn't made by me, Tanuki! It was Nightcrawler's.

And, about me saying "like hell she does"...it was supposed to mean "yes, she does it quite often", possibly stupid me didn't get the meaning of 'like hell' right. :D.

Yes, Yes it was... lol. I'm not going to make seperate posts for seperate people. You know who you are and what you said

Like hell she does, means that she doesn't. That is all
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Next

Return to The Great Hall