Note in the Locket: R.A.B?

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

Note in the Locket: R.A.B?

Postby Chesirae » Sunday 17 July 2005 2:08:58am

It has undoutbably been stated that Sirius is, in fact, not dead. That his brother, Regulus, was the one who was killed at the Department of Mysteries and died there.
This, we now know, is untrue. However the idea that Regulus isn't dead has struck me as something that JKR would do, just to throw us off. How many of her characters, supposed dead or missing, have actually come back to life? Do I really need to remind you of Peter Pettigrew?
So how far fetched is it really, to believe that Regulus is, in fact, alive? We never learn in the fifth book where he was buried, if he was buried, or, indeed, whether the Black family recieved his body at all.
No doubt you're wondering what this could possibly have to do with anything. Well, the truth is, I finished the book a couple hours ago. I cried about Dumbledore and was so extremely p***d off at whoever R.A.B was. How dare he try to be the hero? Who was this chump that decided he was the one to rescue the world?
I wanted to know who he was, and in what I thought was a fruitless, but gratifying pastime, I started to think of all the wizards and witches we've learned about with the initials R.A.B.
Like Regulus Black.
Do we know what his middle name is? No. WE don't. But it would make things more interesting, wouldn't it?
A long lost Black, Sirius' brother, coming back onto the scene. What would Kreacher do then? For that matter, what would Narcissa, Bellatrix, and Voldemort do then?
And you have to admit, Regulus has an awful lot of pent up frustration against Voldemort. He tried to have him killed, after all.
So, if, in fact, he's alive; if, in fact, he stole the locket; if, in fact, he comes back to the wizarding world, I have one question:
What would Harry do?
Chesirae
Squib

Postby Jmurray2900 » Sunday 17 July 2005 8:48:30am

good theory, i was thinking that myself
however, i believe that regulus would probably be dead, as the note in the locket states.
maybe the horcrux was buried with him?
Jmurray2900
Muggle

Postby Ginny-DA » Sunday 17 July 2005 10:33:51am

Or it is stashed at the Black home, which Harry has inherited?
Ginny-DA
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby thestral » Sunday 17 July 2005 10:39:59am

i'm highly distrustful of any regulus black theories fro some reason. i don't know why. i don't think it's regulus black i think he is dead and gone. but hopefully sirius isn't...... :-(
thestral
Rogue auror, avenger of lost souls

Postby pandora315 » Sunday 17 July 2005 1:03:38pm

I just think that if Regulus was alive he would be the rightful heir and Kreacher would naturally go to him. Remember how DD had to test if Harry was the heir by asking him to order Kreacher to do something? No one was sure exactly what would happen. It wasn't an option it was just the way things were. But like Hermione said- why does it have to be a man? RAB could easily be a womans initials. Or it could just be BAR backwards bringing up the hogshead and the man who look suspicially like DD.......
pandora315
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby darkcloak » Sunday 17 July 2005 2:25:09pm

Ginny-DA wrote:Or it is stashed at the Black home, which Harry has inherited?

Silver snuffbox which bites, tweezers that try to stab, musical box that send listeners to sleep, heavy locket that no-one could open and ancient seals.

Just some of things they find in OotP in "The noble and most ancient house of black".
darkcloak
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Bergdorfblonde » Sunday 17 July 2005 9:13:11pm

OO I just posted a new topic about that !! how silly ...
I thought about Regulus too but he was described like a shabby and cowardly wizard so it would be quite strange. But I don't see what other character it could be. It may be someone completely new or an old character who'd have changed his name ?
Bergdorfblonde
Squib

Postby xXxFawkesSong » Sunday 17 July 2005 11:20:26pm

The note says

To the Dark Lord
I know I will be dead long before you read this but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I face death in the hope that when you meet your match, you will be mortal once more.
R.A.B.

Perhaps it was Regulus. Didn't it say in the fourth book that he was killed by Voldemort? So did he think that that Horcrux was the only one and then tried to kill Voldemort and failed? Or did he just destroy the Horcrux and wait for another wizard to come kill Voldemort? But didn't it say that Regulus was killed because he backed out and didn't want to be a Death Eater anymore? I have no idea. :P
xXxFawkesSong
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Eol » Sunday 17 July 2005 11:23:08pm

What do we know about Regulus Black?

1.He was Sirius' (younger?) brother.
2.He had the same mentality as his parents with regards to muggles and Voldy
3. He got cold feet after joining Voldy and was killed.

I think Regulus has no importance to the story. Were he alive, he would be next in line to 12 Grimmald place, and Kreacher wouldn't have had to obey Harry. Such is the kind of magic that the house elves are subject to.
But Kreacher does have to obey Harry so this would prove that Regulus is in fact dead
Eol
Lightning Bearer

Postby dibble2 » Monday 18 July 2005 1:02:06am

I don't think he'd need to be alive to have left the note. I think I remember Dumbledore saying that Harry's death would have been used to make the final horcrux, meaning the others were already created. Regulus could have left the note years before Harry was born, I don't think Regulus being dead definitely rules him out.

As for who R.A.B is, it may be a longshot but I think it's worth considering both founders of Borgin and Burkes, the store on Knockturn alley. No luck finding a first name for either, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Anyway, since Voldemort uses magical relics for his horcruxs, there's a chance that one of them could have discovered his secret. Plus they have one-third of the initials right, so...
dibble2
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby paintballdecoy » Monday 18 July 2005 1:24:36am

When I read that note I instantly thought of Regulus Black. What do we know of him that wasn't told to us by Sirius? You must remember Sirius hated everything to do with his family. He could have just assumed he was a coward and that was why Voldemort killed him.

However, the list of items included the heavy locket no one could open, another sign pointing to Regulus.
paintballdecoy
Chief Paintball Wizard, Theory Master and Voldemort Spy

Postby Lelie » Monday 18 July 2005 3:06:06am

i am on the regulus bandwagon... hopped on it immediately after reading the initials. however, jkr clearly states in an interview that regulus is indeed dead. no matter. just because he is dead NOW doesn't mean he didn't do it. sirius assumes that regulus backed out of being a death eater out of fear. i'm sure we've all learned what happens when we believe the assumptions of a character. maybe sirius wasn't the only halfway decent black. i'll bet kreacher knows...
Lelie
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Herminny » Monday 18 July 2005 4:14:18am

I first Thought of Regulus, not only because of the initials but because of "the Dark Lord" Only Death Eaters (or ex-death eaters) reffered to him like that. Not to mention, he died very near to the time of James and Lilly's Deaths. And Sirius, ashamed of his family may not have fully investigated the matter.
At the same time, i think it is highly unlikely, the huge mystery of the 6th book and half the world guesses the answer on reading? It just doesn't seem quite right.

The locket found at sirius' could be slytherins but why would nobody recognise the significance, since they all tryed to open it. And wasn't the person going to immeadiately destroy it? unless Regulus did not have time before voldys supporters found him.
Herminny
Fourth Year

Postby felix felicis » Monday 18 July 2005 7:55:34am

the message said he (or she, you know how JKR is... Hermione is definitely JKR's voice-- example, the HBP thing.) intended to destroy the locket.

also, regulus is definitely dead. kreacher is proof. but maybe he died because LV knew of his intentions... that is to say IF those initials are his.

also, that locket at the black house is definitely a huge clue. i'm very impressed with whoever found that. it's just like JKR to mention something so important in such an obscure and seemingly unimportant way.

on a different note, in an interview (to see the article from BBC, go here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsi ... 691511.stm ) JKR said that the sixth book will leave "big clues" as to what's to come in book seven and a direct quote: "I think I give very clear pointers as to what Harry will do next," she said. "There is plenty to guess at... at least one thing I think people will probably deduce, there is a mystery left at the end, but I think they might already know the answer if they think about it."
could the initials be the one thing? and could what the fans know be that it is, in fact, regulus? makes sense, doesn't it?
felix felicis
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Eol » Monday 18 July 2005 9:29:18am

I'm hoping for R.A.B to be a new wizard/witch. Dumbledore needed Harry's help to obtain the locket, and it seems, though I could be very very wrong here, that R.A.B did it him/herself. RAB was somebody who knew about Voldy's use of horcruxes and also knew what they were. Somebody who also had the talent and the foreknowledge of Voldy's past to find that particular horcrux and remove it from that place.

I'm so against RAB being Regulus Black because it just doesn't seem to be in JK's style. I do like the idea, however, that it was either Borgin or Burkes. But I guess we'll only know for sure when the seventh book is out.
Eol
Lightning Bearer

Next

Return to Theories