Only for those who have already seen OoTP!!!

Have you seen the movies, either in the cinema theatre, or on video or DVD, or thinking of seeing them? Share your views here.

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Snow_Crystal

Only for those who have already seen OoTP!!!

Postby jeckle_freckle » Wednesday 11 July 2007 1:26:10pm

Ok so it came today in australia and i thought yeh may as well go see it. And i was so DISAPPOINTED!!!! There was so many bits left out, they put things in the wrong order, there was some bits that they changed around that did not happen that way in the book....I was not impressed AT ALL :mad:
jeckle_freckle
Keeper of the Butterflies & Other Winged Creatures

Postby Augusta Longbottom » Thursday 12 July 2007 3:26:14am

I thought it was the best of the movies so far. You have to remember that movies based on books are not entirely intended to replicate what has happened in the book. Screenwriters and directors are artists -- they take the basic foundation provided by the original author and they "create" something new from that. You have to watch a movie without comparing it to a book. Think about all the movies you've ever seen that were based on books: The Hours, Pride & Prejudice, Eragon, Phantom of the Opera, White Oleander....they all are very different than the book yet they are based on the premise of the book. Also, when you watch a movie, you are seeing the directors work of art, not JKR's work of art. Her art (the book) simply provided the basic foundation from which they drew inspiration. Movies are made to entertain movie-goers not bookworms like us :D

I loved how dark the movie was -- a turning point just as the book was. Harry's adolescent angst came through so well.
Augusta Longbottom
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: in Hufflepuff Common Room counting the days till the release of Deathly Hallows

Postby choki » Saturday 14 July 2007 8:11:59pm

just came back from the movie (well past midnight over here)
there was something sorely lacking in this movie when compared to the previous installments...
it just seemed to me that the magical effects aren't there. i.e. The whole feeling of being in the magical world
choki
Gryffindor Prefect and Silent Guardian Of Stars

Postby Augusta Longbottom » Sunday 15 July 2007 12:18:22am

I'm bummed neither of you liked it that well -- I honestly loved it better than the others. A friend at work went to see it last night and he felt it was lacking something, although he agreed the special effects were much better than in previous movies.
Augusta Longbottom
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: in Hufflepuff Common Room counting the days till the release of Deathly Hallows

Postby Simatra » Sunday 15 July 2007 12:34:55am

That's your guys's loss....I thought it was great! The best so far. The only part that I'm really going to complian about was the very beggining. And Mrs. Figg, she was a terrible actress.....
Simatra
Gryffindor Prefect and Mistress of Magic, Order, and Books

Postby jeckle_freckle » Sunday 15 July 2007 2:27:06am

Since i first posted on this i've had a bit of time to think about the movie and i must say there was SOME good parts in it; the woman who played umbridge was absolutely FANTASTIC!!!! and the big fight scene at the ministry at the end was very well done too :D
jeckle_freckle
Keeper of the Butterflies & Other Winged Creatures

Postby Simatra » Sunday 15 July 2007 4:33:56am

Changed of heart? :D Yes, I agree with you.
Simatra

Postby choki » Sunday 15 July 2007 8:43:15am

well i din hate the movie or what
the expecto patronum part was good,
Grawp was neatly done - the awwww innocent giant factor was there (Who could resist the bicycle bell part?!)
choki
Gryffindor Prefect and Silent Guardian Of Stars

Postby Scellanis » Sunday 15 July 2007 11:13:59pm

I thought it was a great movie although there were bits were I exclaimed 'They made that up!' or 'Thats wrong!' but it was still a good movie.
Scellanis
Hufflepuff Prefect

Location: Pretending to be a sea slug with 'go faster' stripes...

Postby FawkesthePhoenix » Monday 16 July 2007 3:03:51am

mrs. figg- ugg! i did like the way they filmed the part where umbridge takes over the school.
and i really like that added line that harry says to umby: "sorry, professor, i must not tell lies." soooo funny!
FawkesthePhoenix
President of the Penguins

Location: No idea, all I know is that there are a LOT of felt-tipped pens...

Postby DucksRMagical » Monday 16 July 2007 5:07:35pm

I liked it! I thought it was awesome, but would have preferred if it was longer with more parts from the books in it.

Umbridge and Grawp were great! Mrs. Figg, ugh. Not how I imagined her at all.
DucksRMagical
Ambassador to the Land of Ducks.

Postby Simatra » Monday 16 July 2007 9:10:39pm

Everyone seems to agree that Mrs. Figg was terrible! I loved it! I wish it would have been longer yes, but it was fine the was it was.
Simatra

Postby GodrictheGriffon » Monday 16 July 2007 10:42:15pm

I liked Mrs. Figg, but I think that she should have been angrier in the beginning. I think that Dudley was to skinny, his hair to dark, and his gang not gangish enough. I preferred the patronuses in past miovies. I get what you're saying, Choki about not being magical enough. I think that it was the new location and the No-Quidditch factor. I think that the Thestrals were to ugly. Dumbledore's beard was to grey. They should have used Kreacher more. And the absence o Gilderoy Loackhart changed it. Harry's hair was to neat. Grawp was cute but not violent enough. Niether were the centaur's who needed a larger herd. I liked Filch, how he had tea outside the DA. And when the Inqisitorial Squad ran into the wall. And how Filch was expected a badge, too. I think that they needed to show more rooms at the ministry. And Tonks needed a bigger part. Grap and Hermione were good together. Luna was good. But they needed the mirror Mary-Etta. The mirror will come back to haunt them later because it's supposed to play a huge part in DH. They'll probably had to put it into Harry's inheritance. I think that they needed The Quibbler and Harry and Cho's date. I've noticed that Neville is taking Dobby's place at finding stuff. And now I'm not sure how they are going to do HBP that wonderfully either if they don't have the house-elves to tail Malfoy. I miss the old locations, directors, and, Dumbledore which I think could have made it better. They were going to take out Kreacher, but Rowling wouldn't let them. But from the part that he's playing, they mine as well have. :rant:
GodrictheGriffon
Unspeakable and Princess of Polar Bears

Location: Beside the veil, waiting for Sirius.... And Midnight! I wonder how long your location can be?....

Postby Run Away!!! » Monday 16 July 2007 11:33:17pm

I thought the movie was very good and well done. But obviously quite condensed. I don't like how they tried to fit everything into 3 hours (I swear when I came out it was only 2 and a half hours??) But I agree with the parts that they left out. They left out many of the minor characters and plotlines and just gave those parts to other, more major characters. I think that was ok because the movie seemed so based on Harry you hardly saw anything of anyone else, even the other majors so giving them something extra doesn't seem that bad!

I love how Luna was just so.. far away, and yet so... wise? at the same time.
Run Away!!!
Simple Girl with Simple Needs

Re: Only for those who have already seen OoTP!!!

Postby Athena Appleton » Monday 23 July 2007 8:51:20am

jeckle_freckle wrote:Ok so it came today in australia and i thought yeh may as well go see it. And i was so DISAPPOINTED!!!! There was so many bits left out, they put things in the wrong order, there was some bits that they changed around that did not happen that way in the book....I was not impressed AT ALL :mad:

I loved it. I knew they'd have to cut things out, but I think they did it well, not just leaving things unanswered.

One of my main thoughts about the movie was that I was disappointed at the prospect of the twins not having their big scene, since Peeves has not been in the movies (and of course, the famed line "Give her hell from us, Peeves" would not appear.) However, i think they captured the spirit of it really well, and I didn't feel I was missing anything.

My main complaint was the Howler at the Dursley's. I loved the imagery of all these owls flying into and out of the house, and of course, Petunia getting a Howler, linking her to Dumbledore. At the very least, I wish the howler Harry got more closely resembled the one Ron got from his mom in CoS. I thought it definately fit the description better.

I would also have liked to see Snape's entire memory, Ginny whaling on Harry for not asking her about being possessed by Voldemort, the Longbottoms at St. Mungo's, and of course, the conversation at the end between Harry and Dumbledore.

However, I do realize that it's a huge book and had to be pruned. I'm so glad they got rid of all SPEW references. I hated that subplot. I also didn't like the Dobby/Winky story.

With very few exceptions, I thought the screenplay was great, getting the real essence of the story.
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Next

Return to The Movies