Publishing Links

Meet everyone here in The Great Hall for general discussions. Here you'll find a friendly place to talk about all things under the magnificent magical ceiling...even stuff not connected with Harry Potter!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, DucksRMagical, Broccoli, Run Away!!!, Phoenix in the Ashes

Publishing Links

Postby salemboy » Sunday 17 May 2009 10:57:19am

Hey, just recently, I got published in the stars and stripes, an American Military Newspaper. I'm not in the physical newspaper, I'm online. So I thought, "Hey, any wierdo's able to read it, so why not you guys?" Then I thought, "Wait, how about not only do I do this, but I ask for them to put links for stuff they've had published?" Then I said, "Great idea!"

So, since BBCode is deactivated, you'll have to copy and paste it into your web browser. But, please, check it out.

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?sect ... icle=62708
salemboy
Supreme Commander of Wizarding Monkeys

Re: Publishing Links

Postby Ms. Elsewhere » Monday 18 May 2009 4:51:04am

Wicked! You have been published, and what a good article! There are so many people who live on camps/bases all over the world and never get out to explore the true culture of the countries they are in, and it drives me nuts. Although some places are more dangerous than others. eg. Africa... I have friends of family who work for mining companies and live in camps, but YOU are a military son! wow.... so cool to learn something new. And a picture too! :) Thanks so much for sharing. I've been wondering what people look like, and making it up a great deal. Lol.. mostly I've been picturing people animated, as in, an animation! Japanese anime actually! Likening people to characters in various shows I watch.

Thanks again for sharing that, and keep up the good work! Journalism is a great way to branch out with your writing!

:)
Ms. Elsewhere
Scholar of all that is Deep and Meaningful

Postby salemboy » Monday 18 May 2009 5:18:02am

I forgot to mention: POST LINKS OF YOUR GUYS'S PUBLISHED WORK! I want to see what you've gotten out there.
salemboy

Postby Ms. Elsewhere » Monday 18 May 2009 4:20:58pm

If only... *dream*. Hmmm.... how did u get published? What was the oportunity?
Ms. Elsewhere

Postby *Riley* » Friday 29 May 2009 12:16:56pm

Woah, that's cool!
Is that a photo of you?
*Riley*
Keeper of the Keys and Dragon Tamer Of The West

Postby salemboy » Saturday 30 May 2009 9:52:10am

[quote="Distortia"]If only... *dream*. Hmmm.... how did u get published? What was the oportunity?[/quote]

I'm just good like that. No, just kidding. My Journalism teacher said that the Stars and Stripes was asking three students to write articles for the paper. I volunteered. So, yeah...
salemboy

Postby Ms. Elsewhere » Sunday 31 May 2009 12:37:57am

That's awesome! I did Journalism in High School, we even had an actual paper that was distributed around the town, it was really good. Then I moved to another town and took my experience there to start up another newspaper at that school, which was a newsletter to start out with, but it was so much fun just going around reporting! I also was part of putting together a poetry and short story book that was published by my school.... not sure how many copies we made.... I kept pretty much all my articles from the paper too. Oh! And I wrote an article for the local paper about libraries having no funding for decent supplies. There's a picture of me there too. Probably the same sort of opportunity you had. I'll find it and scan it to share!

xx
Ms. Elsewhere

Postby FawkesthePhoenix » Sunday 31 May 2009 2:15:40am

Yay! Go Distortia! Libraries don't get nearly as much funding as they deserve. My parents have petiitioned to keep our local public libraries open and funded many times, and I think it's great that you spoke out about it!
FawkesthePhoenix
President of the Penguins

Location: No idea, all I know is that there are a LOT of felt-tipped pens...

Postby Ms. Elsewhere » Sunday 31 May 2009 9:58:43am

Thanks! I don't think it will ever change, the lack of funding. For book club, which is this thing that schools do to fundraise, people have the option to buy a book and donate it to the school. I donated my paperback copies of Harry Potter to the school I was working at. That was a good one, eh? lol
Ms. Elsewhere

Postby salemboy » Sunday 31 May 2009 11:57:12am

J.K. Rowling would be proud. Our library actually is having issues with space. They just just ordered 15 thousand dollars worth of books (or is it 15 hundred dollars), and our shelves are already stocked to the brim... We're funded by the American government, so we're set. If I get published, my librarian made me promise to sent a few free signed copies of my book to him for the library. I wonder where he'd put them, though.
salemboy

Postby Ms. Elsewhere » Sunday 31 May 2009 3:01:44pm

wow. I just got some wicked shelves from Ikea (I LOVE Ikea) and now I want to line every wall in my house with shelves! I liken my desire to do so with a description in ... I think it was Inkheart? Gosh.. I can't give you the exact character name as it escapes me right now, but her house was so full of books, there were shelves everywhere!

I guess your next issue is gettng funding to expand the library, Salemboy! I suppose you don't have to fundrais with so much money available anyway, but a good fundraiser is making up a book of something interesting and selling it... (as in a book of short stories, poems, recipes.. whatever would interest people.)

Hmmmmmmmm.......... but is there that much talent in your school? Just a thought!
Ms. Elsewhere

Postby *Riley* » Sunday 28 June 2009 7:38:49am

I think you mean Elanor, Distortia? :D
That's so cool you guys, never had an opportunity like that.
*Riley*

Postby Ms. Elsewhere » Sunday 28 June 2009 10:24:43am

Hi Riley!!!!!

I'm sure you'll get the opportunity, the idea is to be okay with writing for ANYTHING. I can't remember why they wanted to talk to me, but I think too I have a really positive and attractive personality (NOT to sound arrogant, it's just who I am... except when I'm tired then I'm the devil, LOL) So that was a good reason to give me the chance to bring our issue to the local newspaper.

I'm going to start cruising the internet for competitions and writing opporunities etc to jsut write for and see what I can get published. There are soooooooo many things out there..... Like make comments on telelvision programs, write to Behind the news, ..... and so on and so on....

:)
Ms. Elsewhere

Postby *Riley* » Tuesday 7 July 2009 11:25:21am

Hi Heidi! :)

*Crazy idea*
We should start a writing website... like everyone from here.
Not to steal members or anything of course, I still browse BaO, just haven't logged on in a while :)
*Riley*

Postby salemboy » Tuesday 7 July 2009 1:08:21pm

I would love to start a writing website, except we'd need somebody skilled in Adobe Dreamweaver, is willing to pay the money for the site, maintain the server, and is willing to keep it updated. So, if anybody's willing, I'd be happy to help. I'd happily do the advertisements. I'm rather adept in Adobe Flash, if I do say so myself. So, count me in.
salemboy

Next

Return to The Great Hall