What was the last movie you watched at the cinema?

Meet everyone here in The Great Hall for general discussions. Here you'll find a friendly place to talk about all things under the magnificent magical ceiling...even stuff not connected with Harry Potter!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, DucksRMagical, Broccoli, Run Away!!!, Phoenix in the Ashes

Postby Cedric » Friday 20 May 2005 9:02:34pm

I would agree. When they put a PG-13 on it (M15+) on it they meant it. I had a small girl behind me and she wouldn't stop crying. She kept kicking my seat and screaming NO NO. Then her parents would tell her not to look. It was very annoying.
Cedric
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Mistress Siana » Saturday 21 May 2005 2:42:47pm

Wow, Episode III was so great! There was a small boy in the cinema who was far from being 12. He was dressed as Obi-Wan, his mother had Padme's make-up, and his father was wearing a Vader costume. :D He looked very disturbed after the movie.
Mistress Siana
Slytherin Chaser and Devil's advocate

Postby Un'Anima Persa » Sunday 22 May 2005 2:51:10pm

I love star wars!

Unfortunately, my mother has hurt her back, and is unable to sit in a theater chair for that long, so i will be waiting for the dvd...
Un'Anima Persa
Ravenclaw Prefect

Postby Weasleys_gurl07 » Thursday 2 June 2005 6:55:21pm

its acutally funny. the last movie i saw in a theater was "Pooh's hefullump movie". we were in the city and my parents went for supper and i had to take my lil sis to the movies and thats the movie she wanted to see so we went to it. when we were in the theaterduring this "sad" part where the hefullump can't find his mom, there was this lil girl siting behind us crying her eyes out and telling her dad that she never wanted to lose him. it was funny! not to be rude or anything but it was :grin:
Weasleys_gurl07
Fourth Year

Postby Scellanis » Friday 3 June 2005 12:58:00pm

last movie I watched was Star Wars episode III and I didn't like it much, seemed to be taking forever, I got bored and uncomfortable and then the squeamish bits started...yeah, worst of the 3 new movies in my opinion. But everyone else seems to think its the best so maybe I'm just weird.
Scellanis
Hufflepuff Prefect

Location: Pretending to be a sea slug with 'go faster' stripes...

Postby Heidi_hoho » Saturday 4 June 2005 2:28:01am

that was the last movie I saw, too. I didn't really like it. The acting and the script really sucked in my opinion. I liked Episode 1 the most out of the new movies and episode 2 the least.
Heidi_hoho
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Saturday 4 June 2005 3:30:10am

Really? I'm surprised. Episode I and II seemed way to cheesy for me. Ep III was far better in my opinion. Interesting how people's views can differ so much.
Phoenix in the Ashes
Guardian of the Vault, RPG Moderator and Slytherin Prefect

Postby Ginny Potter » Saturday 4 June 2005 4:54:21am

The last movie I really remember seeing (I may have seen something in the last few months at the theatre, but it isn't springing to mind) was "Sideways", and I haven't laughed that hard or long in a LONG while! :lol:
Ginny Potter
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: At Starbucks, whenever possible, reading and loading up on caffeine. :)

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Saturday 4 June 2005 11:22:50am

Well if you have seen a movie in the last few months it can't be too great then, if you don't remember :grin:
Phoenix in the Ashes

Postby Nightcrawler » Saturday 4 June 2005 12:18:22pm

I felt that Hayden Christenson's acting in episode 3 was waaay better than it was in episode 2.

The dialoge in all the prequals has been really bad in my opinion. George Lucas is terrible at writing dialogue. Examples. "Are you an angel?" "Now THIS is podracing!" "Around the survivors, a perimeter create." "You're breaking my heart Anakin!" Ugh. All cringeworthy.

I liked episode 1 the least because of the stupid child "actor" playing young Anakin, the unnecisarry screentime spent on the annoying antics of Jar-Jar Binks, Mace Windu not doing anything and Darth Maul being an action figure. But that's just my opinion.
Nightcrawler
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: Underneath a sheet of corigated tin by the side of the road.

Postby Ginny Potter » Saturday 4 June 2005 3:02:35pm

Phoenix in the Ashes wrote:Well if you have seen a movie in the last few months it can't be too great then, if you don't remember :grin:

No, indeed not. :lol: I think I saw "Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events" around the same time, but I like the books much better. Now, I'm really racking my brain to try and remember what I've seen...certainly I've seen SOMETHING since Christmas 2004! :eek:

Oh yeah...I did see "The Wedding Date" (not good!), "Because of Winn-Dixie" (again, book was a lot better, though I did enjoy the actors), and "Miss Congeniality 2" (which kinda dragged) which was the last movie I saw. So...I stand by what I said..."Sideways" was the last *memorable* movie I've seen! :D

There are a few movies I missed...some of which I definitely want to catch on DVD, others I'm not sure about seeing. Anybody have any movies they missed seeing in the theatres and some they wish they had missed? :popcorn:
Ginny Potter
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: At Starbucks, whenever possible, reading and loading up on caffeine. :)

Postby Im_a_slave_for_Draco008 » Saturday 4 June 2005 10:19:27pm

the last movie that i saw was calendar girls which wasnt that bad
Im_a_slave_for_Draco008
Third Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Sunday 5 June 2005 4:41:13am

I'm sure at times I've thought, "Oh I really wanna go and see that" but haven't gone to it.
Phoenix in the Ashes

Postby Heidi_hoho » Sunday 5 June 2005 6:09:45am

I thought the acting in Episode 3 was horrible, I could have done a better job. I almost cheered when that one lady died.

I was in something like first grade when episode 1 came out, and I loved it because I had a huge crush on the kid who played Anakin. Whoa, that was a really long time ago!
Heidi_hoho
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Nightcrawler » Sunday 5 June 2005 10:53:40am

Heidi_hoho wrote: Whoa, that was a really long time ago!

In a galaxy far, far away...

Sorry couldn't resist.

Just out of interest, who's acting didn't you like? I'll admit that Natalie Portman (Padme, or "that one lady" as you said :razz: ) wasn't up to her usual standard, but I suspect that was mostly because of the crappy dialogue she was given ("you're breaking my heart" and "hold me") and the fact that her character didn't get to do anything (being pregnant and all). I felt that Ewen Mc Greggor who played Obi-Wan did an awesome job of acting in episode 3. Especially his monologue at the end. And Hayden Christenson (Anakin) was infinetly better than that little kid in my opinion. I guess episode 1 and 3 were targeted at different age groups, so that's why people of different age groups would be so divided over it. I mean, episode 1 had poop jokes and episode 3 had a guy's soul being corrupted.
Nightcrawler
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: Underneath a sheet of corigated tin by the side of the road.

PreviousNext

Return to The Great Hall