Broomsticks And Owls

Harry Potter Forum

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wednesday 30 November 2005 2:16:29pm 
Offline
Second Year

Joined: Tuesday 1 November 2005 3:05:23pm
Posts: 27
[quote="Lone_Buck"]I've actually thought about this too, the flower part. I think with just one book left, JKR might just like flowers. There hasn't been reference to them really in the book being flowers.

Do you really believe that such an excellent writer chose the names at random or just because she likes flowers??? I do believe there's more to that!!!
Apart from that, Petunia will play an important role in book7 because she knows important things. So there's more to her. I think JK said she had overheard a conversation. Unfortunately she didn't say between whom or what it was she heard...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thursday 1 December 2005 6:05:23am 
Offline
Head of the Department of Mysteries
User avatar

Joined: Sunday 30 October 2005 8:08:18pm
Posts: 1303
Location: Hungry and Confused
An excellent writer can like certain names for no reason. She might not have even noticed she said them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thursday 1 December 2005 12:19:49pm 
Offline
Second Year

Joined: Tuesday 1 November 2005 3:05:23pm
Posts: 27
Asphodel wrote:
An excellent writer can like certain names for no reason. She might not have even noticed she said them.


You're not very friendly. I really do hope that I am right and if I am you will receive an e-mail saying: "See, I told you so!!!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Saturday 3 December 2005 11:32:33pm 
Offline
Head of the Department of Mysteries
User avatar

Joined: Sunday 30 October 2005 8:08:18pm
Posts: 1303
Location: Hungry and Confused
Sorry, if I came 'round unfriendly, my brain got damged while I was escaping from a mental assylum, so please excuse me. What I meant was, I just am not sure how flowers can be written into this plot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Alrighty,
PostPosted: Monday 5 December 2005 1:49:25pm 
Offline
Second Year

Joined: Tuesday 1 November 2005 3:05:23pm
Posts: 27
you're forgiven for whatever it is that you suffer from...
It's okay if you say that the flower names haven't got anything to do with the plot. I was just trying to relate Malfoy to someone else (than Lucius). Well, it didn't work...
Another thing that puzzles me is that DD insists on Tom Riddle returning to the orphanage at least once a year. He also mentioned that there are parallels between Merope's death and Lily's. Does that ring a bell with any of you?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tuesday 6 December 2005 4:18:26am 
Offline
Head of the Department of Mysteries
User avatar

Joined: Sunday 30 October 2005 8:08:18pm
Posts: 1303
Location: Hungry and Confused
Maybe Tom Jr. has some sort of connection with the orphanage, kind of like Harry with Privet Drive. Well, Merope and Lily both died for their children so I guess that's a reason...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tuesday 6 December 2005 9:17:06am 
Offline
Slytherin Prefect, Healer at St Mungo's and Slytherin Chaser
User avatar

Joined: Thursday 4 July 2002 1:00:00am
Posts: 1796
Location: the Moon
Asphodel wrote:
Well, Merope and Lily both died for their children so I guess that's a reason...


Actually, Lily died protecting Harry and Merope died because she didn't want to live, although she had a child. Their deaths are opposite rather than parallel.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tuesday 6 December 2005 9:18:44am 
Offline
Slytherin Prefect, Healer at St Mungo's and Slytherin Chaser
User avatar

Joined: Thursday 4 July 2002 1:00:00am
Posts: 1796
Location: the Moon
oh, and I just noticed that we are discussing book 6 here, which is not right. So maybe a moderator should move this thread (or a part of it) to Book 6 section.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tuesday 6 December 2005 11:09:23am 
Offline
Second Year

Joined: Tuesday 1 November 2005 3:05:23pm
Posts: 27
Actually, Lily died protecting Harry and Merope died because she didn't want to live, although she had a child. Their deaths are opposite rather than parallel.[/quote]

That's not quite right because DD himself said that there are parallels in their deaths (which Harry and I!!! didn't understand). He said both had a choice but Merope had neither Lily's strength nor her courage or something...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tuesday 6 December 2005 11:13:47am 
Offline
Second Year

Joined: Tuesday 1 November 2005 3:05:23pm
Posts: 27
Asphodel wrote:
Maybe Tom Jr. has some sort of connection with the orphanage, kind of like Harry with Privet Drive. Well, Merope and Lily both died for their children so I guess that's a reason...


I agree. But what exactly does that mean for the MAN VM?

Oh, by the way, this reminds me of something else... There was a triumph in DD's eyes when H told him VM had used his blood to return (book IV) VM thought it would make him invincible as Snape says in book VI. Again, what does that mean? Will he be killed by love? Anyway, I don't think he will be killed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wednesday 7 December 2005 3:05:27am 
Offline
Head of the Department of Mysteries
User avatar

Joined: Sunday 30 October 2005 8:08:18pm
Posts: 1303
Location: Hungry and Confused
I think the gleam of triumph had something to do with the fact that LV was weaker than Harry because he was powered by death (his father's bones) whereas Harry is powered by love.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wednesday 7 December 2005 1:50:32pm 
Offline
Second Year

Joined: Tuesday 1 November 2005 3:05:23pm
Posts: 27
But the gleam did not refer to the father's bones but to the fact that he used Harry's blood. To me it seems that this will be a weakness in the end although VM himself believes it to make him invincible.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wednesday 7 December 2005 2:57:13pm 
Offline
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery
User avatar

Joined: Monday 18 July 2005 4:13:24pm
Posts: 1185
Location: Flying around eagerly waiting for Midnight...
isasniffelus wrote:
Snow_Patrol wrote:
Where did JKR say that? I would like to read that if possible.

Did she say Snape loved someone or someone loved Snape? If it was the first did Snape love Lily but was nasty to her because he liked her?

The adress is: http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/extra ... views.html.
There you can read everything she said.


Hi link no longer works tho I have read that interview - I must have missed it when she said that. Any chance you can copy and paste the text in here? I.e. that bit of text that says he has been loved by someone etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wednesday 7 December 2005 3:26:13pm 
Offline
Slytherin Prefect, Healer at St Mungo's and Slytherin Chaser
User avatar

Joined: Thursday 4 July 2002 1:00:00am
Posts: 1796
Location: the Moon
here:

Quote:
Has Snape ever been loved by anyone?

JKR: Yes, he has, which in some ways makes him more culpable even than Voldemort, who never has.



http://www.quick-quote-quill.org/articl ... elli-3.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wednesday 7 December 2005 3:28:21pm 
Offline
Second Year

Joined: Tuesday 1 November 2005 3:05:23pm
Posts: 27
Sorry that it didn't work.

MA: Oh, here’s one [from our forums] that I’ve really got to ask you. Has Snape ever been loved by anyone?

JKR: Yes, he has, which in some ways makes him more culpable even than Voldemort, who never has. Okay, one more each!

Oops, Broccoli was faster than me, thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group