Flower Names

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

Postby isasniffelus » Wednesday 30 November 2005 2:16:29pm

[quote="Lone_Buck"]I've actually thought about this too, the flower part. I think with just one book left, JKR might just like flowers. There hasn't been reference to them really in the book being flowers.

Do you really believe that such an excellent writer chose the names at random or just because she likes flowers??? I do believe there's more to that!!!
Apart from that, Petunia will play an important role in book7 because she knows important things. So there's more to her. I think JK said she had overheard a conversation. Unfortunately she didn't say between whom or what it was she heard...
isasniffelus
Second Year

Postby Asphodel » Thursday 1 December 2005 6:05:23am

An excellent writer can like certain names for no reason. She might not have even noticed she said them.
Asphodel
Head of the Department of Mysteries

Postby isasniffelus » Thursday 1 December 2005 12:19:49pm

Asphodel wrote:An excellent writer can like certain names for no reason. She might not have even noticed she said them.

You're not very friendly. I really do hope that I am right and if I am you will receive an e-mail saying: "See, I told you so!!!"
isasniffelus
Second Year

Postby Asphodel » Saturday 3 December 2005 11:32:33pm

Sorry, if I came 'round unfriendly, my brain got damged while I was escaping from a mental assylum, so please excuse me. What I meant was, I just am not sure how flowers can be written into this plot.
Asphodel

Alrighty,

Postby isasniffelus » Monday 5 December 2005 1:49:25pm

you're forgiven for whatever it is that you suffer from...
It's okay if you say that the flower names haven't got anything to do with the plot. I was just trying to relate Malfoy to someone else (than Lucius). Well, it didn't work...
Another thing that puzzles me is that DD insists on Tom Riddle returning to the orphanage at least once a year. He also mentioned that there are parallels between Merope's death and Lily's. Does that ring a bell with any of you?
isasniffelus
Second Year

Postby Asphodel » Tuesday 6 December 2005 4:18:26am

Maybe Tom Jr. has some sort of connection with the orphanage, kind of like Harry with Privet Drive. Well, Merope and Lily both died for their children so I guess that's a reason...
Asphodel

Postby Broccoli » Tuesday 6 December 2005 9:17:06am

Asphodel wrote:Well, Merope and Lily both died for their children so I guess that's a reason...

Actually, Lily died protecting Harry and Merope died because she didn't want to live, although she had a child. Their deaths are opposite rather than parallel.
Broccoli
Slytherin Prefect, Healer at St Mungo's and Slytherin Chaser

Postby Broccoli » Tuesday 6 December 2005 9:18:44am

oh, and I just noticed that we are discussing book 6 here, which is not right. So maybe a moderator should move this thread (or a part of it) to Book 6 section.
Broccoli

Postby isasniffelus » Tuesday 6 December 2005 11:09:23am

Actually, Lily died protecting Harry and Merope died because she didn't want to live, although she had a child. Their deaths are opposite rather than parallel.[/quote]

That's not quite right because DD himself said that there are parallels in their deaths (which Harry and I!!! didn't understand). He said both had a choice but Merope had neither Lily's strength nor her courage or something...
isasniffelus
Second Year

Postby isasniffelus » Tuesday 6 December 2005 11:13:47am

Asphodel wrote:Maybe Tom Jr. has some sort of connection with the orphanage, kind of like Harry with Privet Drive. Well, Merope and Lily both died for their children so I guess that's a reason...

I agree. But what exactly does that mean for the MAN VM?

Oh, by the way, this reminds me of something else... There was a triumph in DD's eyes when H told him VM had used his blood to return (book IV) VM thought it would make him invincible as Snape says in book VI. Again, what does that mean? Will he be killed by love? Anyway, I don't think he will be killed.
isasniffelus
Second Year

Postby Asphodel » Wednesday 7 December 2005 3:05:27am

I think the gleam of triumph had something to do with the fact that LV was weaker than Harry because he was powered by death (his father's bones) whereas Harry is powered by love.
Asphodel

Postby isasniffelus » Wednesday 7 December 2005 1:50:32pm

But the gleam did not refer to the father's bones but to the fact that he used Harry's blood. To me it seems that this will be a weakness in the end although VM himself believes it to make him invincible.
isasniffelus
Second Year

Postby Snow_Crystal » Wednesday 7 December 2005 2:57:13pm

isasniffelus wrote:
Snow_Patrol wrote:Where did JKR say that? I would like to read that if possible.

Did she say Snape loved someone or someone loved Snape? If it was the first did Snape love Lily but was nasty to her because he liked her?

The adress is: http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/extra ... views.html.
There you can read everything she said.

Hi link no longer works tho I have read that interview - I must have missed it when she said that. Any chance you can copy and paste the text in here? I.e. that bit of text that says he has been loved by someone etc.
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby Broccoli » Wednesday 7 December 2005 3:26:13pm

here:

Has Snape ever been loved by anyone?

JKR: Yes, he has, which in some ways makes him more culpable even than Voldemort, who never has.

http://www.quick-quote-quill.org/articl ... elli-3.htm
Broccoli

Postby isasniffelus » Wednesday 7 December 2005 3:28:21pm

Sorry that it didn't work.

MA: Oh, here’s one [from our forums] that I’ve really got to ask you. Has Snape ever been loved by anyone?

JKR: Yes, he has, which in some ways makes him more culpable even than Voldemort, who never has. Okay, one more each!

Oops, Broccoli was faster than me, thanks!
isasniffelus
Second Year

PreviousNext

Return to The Books