Who is Aberforth?

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

Who is Aberforth?

Postby Jaikai » Saturday 5 August 2006 7:46:44am

OK, this is my first thread, so be gentle :o

I just had a thought whilst considering more R.A.B theories...

Is it possible R.A.B is Aberforth, dd's long lost brother?

Far fetched theory, maybe, but hear me out.

How much do we really know about him? Only mentioned a few times, and when he is, he's usually painted as a really strange guy. Quote from Moody in OOTP:

"That's Dumbledore's brother Aberforth, only time I ever met him, strange bloke..."

I am missing a few of the books, but from the ones I have read I sure know I want to know more about this Aberforth. I don't quite know how the initials could tie in with him, but I suppose that's something to be discussed... :D Of course I could be entirely wrong, but you never know unless you ask, help me out here!

SO! Aberforth: What d'ya know, what d'ya think?

Jaikai°

P.s Yes, I have heard about the Regulus Black theory, but somehow I think that's a bit obvious for Jkr, and also Regulus doesn't appear to have a middle name... Could be wrong, who knows, tell me what you think! :D
Jaikai
Squib

Postby SunsetG|rl » Monday 7 August 2006 7:50:05pm

You can find out more about Abeforth if you go to [ http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizards/aberforth.html ]this link for more information. If you haven't read all the books I think you should try first to do that, or else you might find spoilers on all these websites. You might try a library to get the books you haven't read. Or maybe try asking your friends. Or even the internet. I for one found one book on the internet.

As for R.A.B. I for one agree with the Regulus Black theory. You know what they say, usualy the simplest explanation is the correct one.
SunsetG|rl
Moon Bunny Chaser

Postby Snow_Crystal » Tuesday 8 August 2006 7:13:35pm

hi Sunset - haven't heard from you in a while - you been somewhere nice?
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby SunsetG|rl » Friday 11 August 2006 8:46:21am

Hi! Well actually I've been very busy with my final highscool exams... But now it's all over, I got in a university and I feel very at ease. ;) Nice of you to notice :grin: Well this might be getting a little offtopic.
SunsetG|rl
Moon Bunny Chaser

Postby Snow_Crystal » Monday 14 August 2006 2:00:08pm

Cool congratulations! yeah back on topic, I wonder what role Aberforth will play if he does have one in the last book. I can't remember if he is still alive???
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby Eol » Monday 14 August 2006 7:39:25pm

He's still alive. I'm still betting he's the barman at the Hogs Head. If that's the case he was at the funeral. I don't think Aberforth, whether he's the barman or not, is RAB, because I'd think that he'd talk to DD about what he's been up to.
Eol
Lightning Bearer

Postby Chimera » Tuesday 15 August 2006 12:22:29am

I very much doubt he'll come into the fray, but if he does it'll probably be spectacular.
Chimera
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby choki » Thursday 17 August 2006 8:50:07am

I'm sure he do. After all, he's the brother of Albus Dumbledore... a weirdo too
He would wanna "revenge" for his brother
choki
Gryffindor Prefect and Silent Guardian Of Stars

Postby Snow_Crystal » Thursday 17 August 2006 12:56:44pm

I was looking on mugglenet yesterday and they've got someone playing Aberforth in OOTP the movie which kind of says to me that he has a more significant role to play later...
Snow_Crystal

Postby Eol » Thursday 17 August 2006 1:50:09pm

Good spot Snow_Fight. The writers for the film get hints from JK about where the story's going. I get the feeling that Aberforth's going to be nothing like Dumbledore at all.
Eol
Lightning Bearer

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Thursday 24 August 2006 9:07:12am

Snow_Fight wrote:I was looking on mugglenet yesterday and they've got someone playing Aberforth in OOTP the movie which kind of says to me that he has a more significant role to play later...

Well - Aberforth played a role in the book! So I'm not surprised there.

Remember? As the barman at the Hog's Head - the place the DA had their first (sort of) meeting.

I'm confident he will appear in the seventh book though - otherwise, what's the point? I think there's a chance for a brilliant character with him.
Phoenix in the Ashes
Guardian of the Vault, RPG Moderator and Slytherin Prefect

Postby Snow_Crystal » Friday 1 September 2006 2:35:15pm

Yeah I agree. I never really thought all that much about him until recently I have to admit but they've had characters in the books that they haven't really exploited all that much in the films - Peeves is a classic example and I was gutted that they dropped him.

I agree Aberforth probably has a bigger role to play next book.
Snow_Crystal

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Saturday 2 September 2006 10:02:18am

And Aberforth was at Albus' funeral as well.
Phoenix in the Ashes
Guardian of the Vault, RPG Moderator and Slytherin Prefect

Postby Quicksilver » Wednesday 6 September 2006 2:25:33am

I get the feeling that Aberforth must be resentful...or at least JEALOUS of Dumbledore. After all, would you rather be the barkeep or a pub that's so dirty Professor Flitwick advises students to bring their own mugs? Or the greatest wizard of all time?
But I agree with Eol, no matter what he'd probably tell Dumbledore something so very interesting...
Quicksilver
Ravenclaw Beater

Postby Snow_Crystal » Wednesday 6 September 2006 3:45:34pm

Aberforth's position at the Hog's Head is no coincidence. I'm going to have to read that section again I think but my theory is that he may have been a spy for DD i.e. watching and reporting back news to DD of any oddities in people/conversations etc.

Do you think he may have had some role that night the prophecy had been made - e.g. he saw Snape listening at the door where the prophecy was made. Do you think it was actually Aberforth that told DD about that? Or was that the Three Broomsticks - I can't remember now.

I don't think there was a jealousy thing going on. I reckon they colluded a lot more than we think.
Snow_Crystal

Next

Return to Theories